Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Just for fun:

Quote Originally Posted by 204084 View Post
    Diana Krall - Cry Me A River
    OK if you can post Diana Krall I can post Ludovico Einaudi:

Heard it on the classical station comin' in to work this morning, it was one of those tunes that I had to go search the station playlist to find out what it was, I loved it so much..
    If you like that violin you'll love an Italian progressive band called Arti & Mestieri, from the '70's, first 2 albums: Tilt and Giro di Valzer per Domani
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by 204084 View Post
    Dawg Yawp (Sitar!): NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jub...D6F55F0&t=1053
    Just saw this now - you rarely see a sitar played standing up!

walrus
    1984 Guild D64
    2008 PRS Hollowbody Spruce

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    SOOO Shawn.....you're only the second guy I've met here who knows about Oregon/Ralph Towner!
    Where's that thumbs up emoticon?! And do you know about the Paul Winter Consort ? :D

Howdy

I have been fan of Oregon since summer -77 - Distant Hills - Winter Light
    I even had a period, when I bought any album, that had ECM on it

Ralph Towner was here some ten-twenty years ago - and I heard rumour, that his guitar was gone missing in transit, so I took my F512 and went to see if he neends help - he did not, while his own was found in time. I did not see the concert, because it was sold out.
    First good guitar - GUILD Duane Eddy 400 - I was 3rd owner - used to have Artist Award and Starfire
    Present guitars - F50R 1975 - F512 1977 - F212CSB 1979 - all bought new - B30SB fretless and RED Songbird bought secondhand - Schecter Startocaster - Gibson 3/4-size acoustic 1957 - Carmelo Gonzales nylon string - old Levin Lute

Quote Originally Posted by Nuuska View Post
    Howdy

Only reason I didn't was because my budge wouldn't allow, but it's how I discovered John Abercrombie, John Scofield, Bill Frisell, and Dave Holland.
    It was actually my best buddy who turned me onto Oregon, Towner, Metheny, and Rypdal, and thus the label..
    I'm thinking it was around '74 as we were both in "junior college" at the time. (Community college which offered freshman and sophomore level courses with credit transferable to a state university at greatly reduced cost)
    Al
    All bought new!

OK if you can post Diana Krall I can post Ludovico Einaudi:
    Heard it on the classical station comin' in to work this morning, it was one of those tunes that I had to go search the station playlist to find out what it was, I loved it so much..
    If you like that violin you'll love an Italian progressive band called Arti & Mestieri, from the '70's, first 2 albums: Tilt and Giro di Valzer per Domani
    Thanks for sharing....awesome. You must listen to NPR like I do.
    call me Shawn;204084 is my last name
    1975 Martin D-18
    1979 Guild F-50R
    2010 Yamaha F335
    A banjo
    19?? Contessa mandolin
    some old fiddles

Quote Originally Posted by Nuuska View Post
    Howdy

Ralph Towner was here some ten-twenty years ago - and I heard rumour, that his guitar was gone missing in transit, so I took my F512 and went to see if he neends help - he did not, while his own was found in time. I did not see the concert, because it was sold out.
    1978..."Out of the Woods" was my 1st introduction to Oregon. But I had heard of Paul Winter before then and jumped when I saw the band members of Oregon. I'm sitting here looking at the album. Speaking of that, I sure miss all the awesome artwork that went on ALBUMS.
    call me Shawn;204084 is my last name
    1975 Martin D-18
    1979 Guild F-50R
    2010 Yamaha F335
    A banjo
    19?? Contessa mandolin
    some old fiddles

I'm thinking it was around '74 as we were both in "junior college" at the time. (Community college which offered freshman and sophomore level courses with credit transferable to a state university at greatly reduced cost)
    Al, it made me feel old that you felt the need to explain what a "junior college" is...

walrus
    1984 Guild D64
    2008 PRS Hollowbody Spruce

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Al, it made me feel old that you felt the need to explain what a "junior college" is...
    walrus
    I just didn't know if the concept existed in Finland where Nuuska lives..
    Al
    All bought new!

I just didn't know if the concept existed in Finland where Nuuska lives..
    Hello

We have free college / university for natives - plus for foreigners, who have "permanent finnish resident permit". We used to have free education for everybody, but January this year they started collecting minimum 1500€ / semester from non-EU / ETA students. Some charge up to 18000 - but the there is some kind of stipend system, where at the end the student pays much less.

For those more interested : http://www.studyinfinland.fi/

If any of you get the spark and decide to start studying at Tampere university, IŽll be happy to get together and pluck some strings ...
    First good guitar - GUILD Duane Eddy 400 - I was 3rd owner - used to have Artist Award and Starfire
    Present guitars - F50R 1975 - F512 1977 - F212CSB 1979 - all bought new - B30SB fretless and RED Songbird bought secondhand - Schecter Startocaster - Gibson 3/4-size acoustic 1957 - Carmelo Gonzales nylon string - old Levin Lute