Just Up On Youtube: New Hartford Factory Tour

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Chazmo said:
Ah, by no means just moi, Sandy. The guys in New Hartford, especially Frank, Kim, and Darren are the ones pushing and setting the tone. Dave is clearly complicit as well. ;)

It's encouraging that with an enthusiastic crew like that (and some corporate support) , the future of Guild should be secure.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
@ two doggies - Thanks!!!

@ walter - remember that these are the folks who claim Guild started in 1953. Personally, the phrase "return to its roots" carries for me more of a connotation of "glory days" or "the best of times" than strict chronology. Thus I look to Hoboken as the source of most of the Hagstrom Starfire basses as the "glory days" because that is when and where the iconic (for me) product was made. If I were an acoustic person I would probably go back to Westerly. I think it is best to understand "roots" as something other than strictly chronological.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Great link. Nice to see some of the factory crew and the spots we got to visit again.
Thanks,
Brad

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
@ walter - remember that these are the folks who claim Guild started in 1953. Personally, the phrase "return to its roots" carries for me more of a connotation of "glory days" or "the best of times" than strict chronology. Thus I look to Hoboken as the source of most of the Hagstrom Starfire basses as the "glory days" because that is when and where the iconic (for me) product was made. If I were an acoustic person I would probably go back to Westerly. I think it is best to understand "roots" as something other than strictly chronological.
I'm afraid my little comment got taken way too seriously! All of mine are Hoboken guitars too, and I'm not too crazy about the Westerly archtops I've played - but then tastes differ.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
southernGuild said:
Just bumped into this Thread...GREAT ONE! Very encouraging, and informative...Thanks Sandy! :D

It's just what we saw on the tour, only we took a LOT longer. Darren was the tour guide for our half of the group, and he was just great; as nice and as genuine a guy as you'd ever want to meet, with an overt passion for guitars. We of course were addled with a million questions, and the tour took longer than expected No surprise there!

I'd do it again in the proverbial New York Minute. :D

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Walter Broes said:
fronobulax said:
I'm afraid my little comment got taken way too seriously! All of mine are Hoboken guitars too, and I'm not too crazy about the Westerly archtops I've played - but then tastes differ.

:oops: :oops: :oops:
If it is any consolation I often answer rhetorical questions as well. Someday they'll make basses again...

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
I just noticed the video has been removed from YouTube "by the user". It would be nice to know why. Is something visible in the background that is proprietary? Or maybe it is part of a teaser marketing campaign. Regardless it is not there now - June 26, 2010.

Since YouTube is not archival unless you own the video, KeepVid is one way to download and keep a local copy of a video. The ethics and legality of doing so should be considered on a case by case basis.