Archtop string preferences...

jedzep

Reaction score
Hey, who likes what strings for the T100? My Ernie Ball Slinky's are a bit tinny sounding. Why do some put the wound G string on to replace the the straight steel?

jazzrat

Reaction score
My preference is Thomastik. Either roundwound Bebops or Swing flats.
They are soft feeling and warm sounding. Even the treble strings are warmer and rounder sounding because
they are plated. Expensive but they last a long time.
Second choice are Elixir NanoWebs.

yettoblaster

Reaction score
I'll third the Thomastik-Infeld "Be-Bops" or "Swings."

"Be-Bops" are round wound. Presently I'm using 0.012" - 0.050" which have a plain G (0.018").
The 13's (and 14's) have wound thirds. They are nickel wound and sound and feel great to me.
"Be-Bops" also can be had in 11's.

While I prefer a plain G for faux steel-guitar "G-bends," wound thirds usually intonate and balance a bit better.

I love the feel of flatwounds, but on some guitars the jump to the plain strings in volume balance can be abrupt. I've tried various schemes like odd bridge saddle material mixes in tune-o-matics, but "Be-Bops" feel almost as good and give me versatility over fllatwound "Swings."

I like Pyramid Gold flatwounds too, but they are pretty spendy. Nice and bright and balanced though.

MojoTooth

Reaction score
I am planning on putting Elixir 10's on my Starfire when I get it, but I am going to check with my luthier first and see what he would recommend since he knows mw and my style of play and can recommend something fitting.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I like 9s on my Fenders and super-shred guitars
I like 10s on my Les Pauls and Starfire III/IVs
I have 11s on my X170T, but only because it seems happiest with 11s. I'd prefer 10s.

I use Ernie Ball Slinkys on everythign but my acoustic which gets Elixer Nano 13s

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I like D'Addario Jazz Extra Light (EJ20) - wound third string, very nice feel and sound.

walrus

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
Thomastik Be-Bops are my 1st choice. I had the T-I flatwound Swings but the low E and A were too 'thumpy' and ill-defined for my taste. I tried the Be-Bops and they're just right with a livelier bottom. Everybody likes a nice lively bottom, right? :shock:

I also often use Dean Markley Blue Steel 12-54 wound. They come with both a wound and an unwound G, last well, sound fine and they're much cheaper. The wound G seems to stay in tune better. The Thomastiks seem like they have a bit richer overall tone but I go back and forth over whether they're really worth the extra money... it depends on how flush I'm feeling at the moment.

guildzilla

Reaction score
D'Addario XL 11's are also my preference on an electric archtop, but I buy wound G singles and substitute for the one in the set to get the compensation right with a standard Bigsby bridge or Guild rosewood bridge.

We have similar tastes, Walter. If I start disliking humbuckers, I'll be blaming it on you. :)

On this subject, I always recall my favorite quote from our very own BillyDLight: "You can't play Chuck Berry with a wound G."

Since I'm not good enough to play CB, I might as well get the intonation right.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
jedzep said:
Hey, who likes what strings for the T100? My Ernie Ball Slinky's are a bit tinny sounding. Why do some put the wound G string on to replace the the straight steel?
I've never used an unwound third on an archtop, just seems like they wouldn't sound or feel right. I'm still experimenting as I've gone from .014s to .011s on my X-170 since I got the AA. Right now they're D'Addario Nickel Wound. I use .014 T-I on the AA. I use D'Addario PB .011 or .012 on the Metro-B (all acoustic).
Brad

skinny

Reaction score
Walter Broes said:
D'Addario XL 11's on all my guitars.

I'm also using XL 11's on my guitars as well. They just work well.

skinny

fused

Reaction score
Hello, I'm rather new to this site. Found some interesting posts. This one caught my attention...

I have adopted a method for creating custom string sets.

I buy singles and make my own sets according to string tension for scale length and string diameter. The idea is to get the string tensions as close as possible (usually a pound or less) or very gradually rising from treb to bass. Makes for a much smoother transition for your fingers across the fingerboard. Extreme jumps in tension have always bothered me, this method has been very nice :)

I read about this approach on line, somewhere, a few years back. Tried it and never went back to off the shelf sets.

You can get a copy of a string tension spreadsheet here.
Just set the scale length and the string tensions are recalculated. There is a chrome chart for Flats... Its been close enough. I use TI flats on all of my archtops.

http://web.me.com/fusedstudios/TECH_STUFF/TECH_STUFF.html

Here are the sets that I use on some of my guitars.
I will get around to just typing in the info soon..but the data is there.

http://web.me.com/fusedstudios/Studio_Pics_and_Picks/Custom_String_Sets.html

Hope that some of you find this useful.

fused

CajunBlues

Reaction score
One more vote for Thomastik ... Any of their flatwounds in whatever gauge you prefer... I prefer 12's.... If you haven't tried them, you need to try at least one pair... You'll never go back to D'addario chromes... trust me...

jedzep

Reaction score
Will do. Have to try Thomastik after all the good press. Thanks to all. (Don't know what the hell the 'shit or get off the pot' comment means.)

yettoblaster

Reaction score
jedzep said:
Will do. Have to try Thomastik after all the good press. Thanks to all. (Don't know what the hell the 'glop or get off the pot' comment means.)

I believe that's just his signature line, though it looks quoted. Nothing personal I'd guess?