Looking for good and cheap pedals effects [relocated]

beebop

Reaction score
Hello, here is another question I would like to submit,

My guitar teacher encouraged me to invest in pedal effects or a numeric pod, but this last one will kill the sound of the guitar for sure, even if it seem really cheap
So we went discussing musical effects, and told me about the Roland Gp8, which is analogic and not expensive
It seems quite difficult to found in France, (invoice abroad cost a lot compared to the device price) I will keep browsing ebay just in case

Is there another good deal like this one you might recommend ? I am looking for something analogic, if possible good adaptability (I want to experiment everything :) ), quite good is good enough for me, and quite cheap (I think 200$ is not far from the very most I would/could invest)

Cheers !

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Some of my favorite, not-too-pricey effects:

Ibanez DL-10: Pretty generic looking digital delay from the 80s. But sounds analog, works very well. Watch for bad connections on the plugs. You can sometimes find these for 50 bucks on the bay.

Danelectro CTO: Alleged to be a Timmy ripoff. It is. For 40 or 50 bucks used, you'll learn to live with the guilt. Very sturdy housing, so you will feel this guilt for a long time ...

Menatone Blue Collar: An underappreciated, very capable low gain OD pedal. Traded into mine for 120 or so. A lot to like in this pedal.

Catalinbread Semaphore: To date my favorite tremelo pedal. You can find the older version (cosmetic changes only) for about 130. Highly recommended.

Hermida reverb: 99 bucks new. Alf Hermida is the best, and this pedal proves it. Use conservative settings, and you'll be rewarded with an extremely amp-like reverb tone. I love the big outboards, but never take them out now cause of this pedal. Highly recommended.

MD

Qvart

Reaction score
I'm not much into effects myself and own ZERO pedals (except to tune and switch channels, neither of which I really ever do :lol:).

I might need a wah though. Who has good suggestions for that?

alpep

Reaction score
cheap and good rarely go in the same sentence

IMHO stay away from the dano stuff

beebop

Reaction score
alpep said:
cheap and good rarely go in the same sentence

IMHO stay away from the dano stuff

Ok,
thank you all for the tips, :)
Since I have the S300, it seems that the clear sound is really something, but the distorsion sound is not as beautiful, I think my ampli does not follow

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
It sounds like you are looking for a multi-effect unit. I bought a Boss ME-50 a few years ago to use in a pit band for a show at my son's school. You can find used ones for about $200 - $250 now that they've been replaced by another model. They have a distortion/OD section, Modulation section, Delay section as well as wah, compression, and reverb along with a tuner and some other stuff. The best thing is you can just plug into it and choose your settings, that's no learning curve. I think most or all of the effects are digital, but it actually sounds pretty good. I found the wah a little difficult to switch on, though.

There's details here:

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=534&ParentId=248

tele4tone

Reaction score
Beebop,

The only way to do this is to buy stuff and try it out. It can be inexpensive and sometimes you can make money at it. I hit every pawn shop, garage sale, and craigslist ad I can. I always try to buy for less than the resale on ebay. I often make 50-75% my initial investment back after seller fees. I have been doing this for a while tho and it takes time to get the know pricing and resale. Putting the pedals in front of you is the only way to find what you like.

In my opinion, analog is the only way to go. I do like the Digital delays for the the Tap feature, but prefer analog for tone.... I have an echoplex:)

Qvart, You would best benefit from a vintage Thomas Organ Crybaby. I find these at pawnshops with the other crybaby's for around 30-50. Depending on the inside components and condition of the wah. Resale is $75-$150. It has a great sweep works well in all forms of music and are very reliable. Stay away from the Dunlop signature models=crap

Cheers, Jeff

beebop

Reaction score
thank you, again, that's some very good advices,

Jeff Haddad, I am a bit sceptic about numeric effects, I have often heard "i dont do numeric, analog is the real deal" , but you are right, for a cheap price, a multi-effect unit with electronic effects seems to really cover a *huge* panel of effects, I'll keep the boss M-50 in mind if ran into one

Tele4tone this seems to be a real fun way to seek for good effects and learn a lot more about them I'll definitely do that, I already spend a lot of time browsing guild guitars for sale, (repeating myself, "JustLookDontBuyjustlookdontbuy" ) It will be more productive to scout vintage and interesting effects

Default, I take that the bypass is the general switcher that activate only the pedal in use, (and not the bypass ability of a pedal) to reduce the overall noise generated, I had been quickly told about it, but did'nt knew the name,
is it this kind of device ?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pedals-Ahoy-10-chan ... 27b27070e5

How does it (physically/electrical) works ? Is the pedal controlled by the button on the bypass device, what is pushing on the pedal ? or is the bypass switch able to detect that the pedal got pushed (yes I am a total beginner ^^ )

Qvart

Reaction score
Default said:
My wah is a noticeable tonesucker, I just don't use it enough to be bothered by it. :oops:

That would be bad. Marshall + vintage Guilds = TONE.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not owning a Marshall, I wouldn't know. :oops:
After finishing up my first kit build, I'd like to do an 18 watt. I have the guts from a 6bq5 console stereo on the bench, but I have bigger fish to fry at the moment.
I have some decent low-wattage amps, so I'm not hurting...

tele4tone

Reaction score
Qvart said:
Default said:
Have a true bypass put on while you're at it.

You're speaking Greek.

What's the word on this?

Those are the ones Qvart..... Some of the best sounding Wahs IMO....I have three different wahs and I always want to record with the Thomas Organ. I just don't take it out anymore.

beebop

Reaction score
I've acquiered a roland Gp8, (made in 1988) many different effects in compo, with pedals,
And all of them are analog (woohoo) (except delay and chorus), the whole stuff is cheap considering all the pedals included

featuring : disto, overdrive, compressor, phaser,equalizer, dynamic filter

And lot of preconfigured effect loops, I dont have other effects to compare for quality, anyway playing this antiquity is really fun

beebop

Reaction score
beebop said:
And lot of preconfigured effect loops, I dont have other effects to compare for quality, anyway playing this antiquity is really fun

ok, if usefull to someone, here is a first feedback on the gp8, some sounds are quite good delay, phaser, filter are fun,
Disto and overdrive are not really good, but for the all in one and no config to do at all, it's worth it