This Seller $ucks

jcwu

Reaction score
One thing I noticed - he's cut and pasting a lot of his text, but doesn't bother to change out Gibson for Guild. :)

fused

Reaction score
I'm learning something here I guess. Now I have to understand where I stand......

I have a guitar that is a top collector that I got chewed out for because I play it. I play all my guitars, won't own one if I can't play it. Had to have it refretted and got hit from both sides on that too. Refretting may drop it by about $200 in value now, but would recover over time? I'm confused. And its not for sale.

Now if I hung it on the wall, I'd be shot by the players for making it a conversation piece but the collectors wanted me to do exactly that. Change nothing!

I refretted and play the heck out of it.

BUT it will be kept as original as possible. With new frets and a replacement pup cause one died. I could buy a car for this thing....but won't.

But my players however, I will modify anything and everything if it will increase the playability or sound. And I have. Weren't collectors so nobody had cross hairs on me.

So where does one draw the line?

When did this seller become one on the hit list?

How would any of us know, if we were to buy a replacement part, if it came from an actual nice collector instrument as opposed to one that was run over by a car and the part we bought was the only survivor? Lucky for us?

I'm confused.... But then again, thats just normal for fused :roll:

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I'm confused.... But then again, thats just normal for fused
:) :lol: :wink:

I'd say you're steering a sensible course down the center and avoiding the extremes. "Put it up the middle. If the sides want any, they can come over and get it." Sgt. C. E. Hattenhauer

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
Fused - I think it's great to play the guitar - that's what it's for. If you can stomach the worry about taking it out, etc. that's great. That pickup may be worth repairing or rewinding, don't get rid of it. You can't play a guitar if the frets are gone, I don't see any problem with refretting. As with all maintenance - it should be done correctly.

Just remember, this year's "player" is the next big thing as far as vintage goes. How many Les Paul Jr's have you seen with humbuckers, Grovers etc.? '70's Strats are through the roof now...

Interesting dilemma about the parts for restoration - where are you supposed to get them? I think the real objectionable thing is taking a complete guitar and parting it out for no reason other than economic.

jcwu

Reaction score
Jeff Haddad said:
'70's Strats are through the roof now...

I recall, with regret, selling my black '70s hardtail strat to a friend for $500. This was about 9 years ago. I tried to buy it back, but he said only if I promised to sell it back to him "when I was done."

*sigh*

jcwu

Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
I ...regret... selling my black '70s hardtail ... for $500.
:) :eek: :shock: :? :p :oops: :roll: :wink: :!: :?:

Yeah, that about sums it up. And I'm not really friends with this guy anymore, either. :)

I take solace in the fact that the guitar needed a fret job, and that the whole pickup and pickguard assembly were ultra-sensitive to static. Sometimes, just rubbing my pinkie on the surface would create a LOT of static noise.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
@fused - The indignation is usually directed against people who part out a working guitar because they can make more money by doing so - compared to selling it intact as a "project" or fixer-upper. There are also some folks who object to people selling their goods at prices that the posters cannot afford or otherwise think are too high. "If you are making more money than I think you should then that is WRONG." Most people here are rational enough to accept that Guilds are "Made to be Played" and that may require that repairs get made and the condition goes from "pristine" to "used".

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yes, that guy stringtech.... at least he seems to be selling "shells" right now, without putting new hardware on them. I realise it's "only guitars", but seeing how he just screwed up some perfectly nice vintage Guilds before with generic cheap hardware that didn't really fit...made me want to punch him!

parker_knoll

Reaction score
not so, check his sold items - 3 x Gibson ES-125s "all parts replacement"