Custom Pickguard and tailpiece

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Anybody have any suggestions for a source of custom pickguards and tailpieces? I's like to add an ebony pickguard and tailpiece (preferably with the "G" inlay) to my Artist Award (keeping the original parts for replacement IF I ever want to sell).
Brad

GuildAAPlayer

Reaction score
Hi Brad,
I'd been thinking about a custom pickup for my '92 AA for some time, though not a tailpiece. I'd tried a Benedetto S-6 pickup for a while (not permanently mounted) and felt it did improve the amplified tone of my guitar which was a bit to "brittle" sounding to my ear with the stock pickup. The S-6 pickup tamed some of the overly bright sound and also improved the dynamic response, or sensitivity to hard and soft picking. But it still wasn't quite right because I was using the stock 500K ohm volume control which is for single coil pickups. (The Benedetto specs recommend a 250K ohm pot.)

A few months ago, I consulted a luthier for some help with a neck finish problem on another archtop. While there, I asked him about what he could do for my Guild. I did want the guitar to keep a somewhat 'authentic Guild' appearance, so I asked about a custom pickguard in the Guild Benedetto Artist Award style.

This is what we came up with:
- custom ebony pickguard, white-black-white binding; mounts to the '92 AA using the same bracket and screw locations
- thumbwheel style volume AND tone controls which I feel give the guitar a cleaner, less cluttered look
- both controls are 250K ohm potentiometers; easy to adjust while playing, and they feel quite secure so I think they'll be quite reliable. The amplified tone is excellent to my taste (jazz chord-melody/bebop lines) -- and it's versatile with a good range of tonal control.

Additional work: installed new nut (old one was too low causing 1st & 2nd fret buzz), careful leveling of all frets. The guitar now plays like a dream for the first time since I've owned it with a virtually flat neck (zero relief). The stock pickguard/pickup and volume control remain intact and could be swapped back quickly, though I don't think I'd ever do that now.

The luthier is Todd Stock, a superb craftsman and builder, located in Germantown, MD.
http://greenridgeguitars.com/

Below are some photos to help you think about whether this is the right look for you. I'm still using the original gold screws on the pickguard, but may track down some correct sized screws with a black finish to blend in better with the ebony. I don't remember the capacitor value for the tone control, but can find it for you if you're interested in pursuing this dual tone control path.

Hope this helps with your quest,
George

DSC03437A.jpg

DSC03426.jpg

DSC03422.jpg

DSC03421.jpg

DSC03390.jpg

DSC03431.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
GuildAAPlayer said:
While there, I asked him about what he could do for my Guild. I did want the guitar to keep a somewhat 'authentic Guild' appearance,
I'm still using the original gold screws on the pickguard, but may track down some correct sized screws with a black finish to blend in better with the ebony.
It's gorgeous. Actually I think the original screws create tiny detail highlights that go well with the rest of the gold hardware. :)

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Nice looking guard. That's pretty much what I was thinking of, although I hadn't thought about the thumb wheel control. It definitely gives it a cleaner line. Mine has the DeArmond 1100 so there's only a volume control. I like the idea of matching the screws to the pick guard, although if they are off by a shade or two the gold might be better. I wonder if it might be possible to countersink them and use an ebony plug, probably depends on how thick the guard is.
Thanks for the input,
Brad

john_kidder

Reaction score
That's a beautiful pickguard. I suspect I'd also favour the black screws, but the gold are perfectly fitting.

And those "stealth" controls under the pickguard edge are also just right. Joe Vinikow at archtop.com sells a kit like those.