Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not yet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
An English Major ... a lot of military folks are afflicted with 'roids which can affect the quality of the ... uh ... event ... whether on the prairie on not.

Photos-Pringuer,David1974.jpg

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
What concerns me Joe, is not knowing that much about Jerrys' background. He'll be here in a bit over a month and I wouldn't know how to deal with an English Miner..... :lol: Steffan

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
killdeer43 said:
coastie99 said:
And the patronising, pretentious "English Major" crap ??
I can tell that my somewhat oblique reference to a recurring theme on A Prairie Home Companion has eluded you. :D But, NBD.
And me too ... I had to look it up ... not living on the prairie ... and not living off-shore either ... but this seems to explain it: "GK: And that's why English majors often must find menial work." In your original post: "Blogs are convenient and easy to create, and probably a bane to English majors everywhere, including yours truly." you have included yourself with English majors ... but after Steffan's attempted kick-save, you're saying you were only alluding (here's the definition for you Al) to a radio show as the source of your remark ... ???? Do you have a degree in English or not?

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
coastie99 said:
adorshki said:
Ah, Coastie...the voice of calm and reasoned forbearance for which you're so justifiably reknowned! :lol: Um, you've had your fiber today, I trust?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you AD for being so solicitous of my welfare.

Yes, I have. And a very robust bowel movement.

Without pictures, it hasn't happened :!: :!: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
JerryR said:
coastie99 said:
Thank you AD for being so solicitous of my welfare. Yes, I have. And a very robust bowel movement.
Without pictures, it hasn't happened :!: :!: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

This just in:

pic01-1.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
JerryR said:
taabru45 said:
What concerns me Joe, is not knowing that much about Jerrys' background. He'll be here in a bit over a month and I wouldn't know how to deal with an English Miner..... :lol: Steffan
:shock:
Easy. Hire a Scot or a Welshman inistead. They're cheaper. :lol:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
adorshki said:
What're you dragging me into this for? I'M not suffering from any Allusions....I just like to talk funny. Um, you've had your fiber today, I trust.....? Hi Al; yes, had my fiber ... thanks for asking ... only two choices here; provide definitions or dumb-down ... I can't know the extent of your vocabulary. Actually Cap, I suspect it was a typo, but I coudn't resist. I know what you mean ... sometimes I don't want to resist ... but I often do anyway. The Prairie Home Companion allusion got by me too ... If that's what it was. I missed all of PHC ... like I said, I don't live on the prairie and have always been ok for companionship.

gregsguitars

Reaction score
killdeer43 said:
I work as both a writer and an editor and, as an editor,
I feel that we live in a new age where less attention is paid to how the message is delivered. Blogs are convenient and easy to create, and probably a bane to English majors everywhere, including yours truly.

Actually I pay a great deal as to how my message is delivered. It is written in the manner in which I would deliver it as if spoken. , This is not a technical manual, dry, humorless or mundane but rather an article aimed to inform and to entertainment. I feel we live in an age where people pick things apart for what they are not rather than enjoying things for what they are .Any English major should have realized the question was "Do you READ my articles", not do you want to critique my writing style....... Greg.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
gregsguitars said:
Actually I pay a great deal as to how my message is delivered. It is written in the manner in which I would deliver it as if spoken.[snip].Any English major should have realized the question was "Do you READ my articles", not do you want to critique my writing style....... Greg.
Point taken. Ok then, I no longer read your articles because the presentation gets in the way of the content for me. I probably wouldn't hire you as a speaker either :D and will refrain from offering specifics.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
gregsguitars said:
Any English major should have realized the question was "Do you READ my articles", not do you want to critique my writing style....... Greg.
And any member of this forum should have realized it would be impossible to limit the responses to simple yeas or nays! :lol:

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
gregsguitars said:
Believe me I am in no way offended .
That's good... I think people were actually trying to help, not offend, and I suspect that most of us appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge.

It is a lot like music though... there's a way to do it that's pleasing to the listener (or reader) and a way that rejects accepted common conventions and makes it a little less accessible. "I don't care about the rules, I'm going to play this my way" occasionally makes better art, but it makes expanding your commercial audience more difficult.