Confessions of a GAS addict - Part 1 - X700

yettoblaster

Reaction score
Only 300?

That must be less than Artist Awards?

Now I'm depressed: I passed on a X-700 a few years ago that was very reasonable, as they had announced the new ones would be Benedetto models like the AA. "D'oH!"

I once met Johnny Smith in his store in Colorado Springs. He offered to let me play his D'Angelico, but I passed.

At that time he was very much promoting Bob Benedetto as a guy who built guitars "right" (meaning X-braced I think). He had a couple in his shop. I played a 16" one that was very nice and even affordable, but at that time I had a '51 L-4C so walked out empty handed.

Very cool shop though. He kept the local jazzers supplied with good archtops and music, but the rest of the store was typical small mom&pop flavored at a shopping mall type store. He had a poster sized picture on the wall of his friend Howard Roberts sitting on a stool in a studio holding up a Telecaster for the picture and looking a bit depressed. And Mr. Smith was quite opinionated about the state of modern studio work: "Bah, all you gotta know is what stomp box to put your foot on anymore!"

Still and all, an enjoyable afternoon.