Guild DV6 NT HG

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
kostask said:
I have both a DV-6NT HG ('97) and a DV-52 (late '92). My DV-52 is a satin finished guitar with the herringbone rosette as per all of the earlier DV-52s, and is pretty much the rosewood version, and the DV-6 is the mahogany version. The DV-52 has more bass, is about the same in the midrange and top end. The DV-6 sounds smoother/warmer. Both are very, very good guitars. My DV-6 needs a neck reset, as it was improperly set at the factory, but even so, is still a very good sounding guitar by any measure.

I do like the ebony fingerboard on the DV-53 better than the rosewood one on the DV-6, just as a personal preference, and I like the higher gloss finish on the DV-6 better than the satin finish on the DV-52.

I think the DV-6 was produced for fewer years than the DV-52, so there are probably fewer of the DV-6s around. Fender really confused the issue when they made the DV-6 in rosewood in Tacoma for a short while.

Kostas

One day I hope to own one with the herringbone, and gold pegs, I think they are a very classy, great guitar......and nice to see you Kostas, was thinking about you the other day... :D Steffan

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
plaidseason said:
Bill Ashton said:
Agreed! Found an old Guild "Gallery" magazine, about the time frame of this guitar. The D4 and D4G were "designed from the D25," where the D6HG or D6HR had AA-grade Sitka tops, "sanded-down" back and sides, and "shaved bracing." Both are mahogany guitars.

The mystery is solved!

There was also a DV4 and a DV25 - solid back versions of the D4/25 respectively.

With scalloped bracing.

West

plaidseason

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
plaidseason said:
[quote="Bill Ashton":2cloqow7]Agreed! Found an old Guild "Gallery" magazine, about the time frame of this guitar. The D4 and D4G were "designed from the D25," where the D6HG or D6HR had AA-grade Sitka tops, "sanded-down" back and sides, and "shaved bracing." Both are mahogany guitars.

The mystery is solved!

There was also a DV4 and a DV25 - solid back versions of the D4/25 respectively.

With scalloped bracing.

West[/quote:2cloqow7]

This one always confuses me. The DV52 is definitely scalloped, but I think Guild still called the DV6 "shaved" although I'm not entirely sure what that means.

And just for the sake of clarification - the DV4/DV25 are straight braced.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey, Plaid...

I don't know if this actually matches Guild's terminology, but "shaved" generally implies a planed-down surface, usually straight. A shaved brace would have tapered endpoints on either edge of the brace, but I think the center part of it would appear straight. "Scalloped" implies some sort of scooping out (filing, or in the case of modern Guilds CNC programming) of the middle of the brace with an inverted arch shape clearly visible, making the brace appear to be curved rather than straight.

Hmm... I'm not explaining this well, but let me see if I have any pictures. Hmm, it seems I can only find examples of scalloped braces, as in the braces on the lower bout of my F-512:

S5000655.jpg

In contrast, these are straight on my '71 F-50R. Sorry, I don't think I can find examples of shaved braces in my fleet.

IMG_0972.jpg

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
When I finally get to see aforesaid DV6, I am sure to be putting new strings on her...I will take an inside picture at that time and post here...I think it may be a while, though :lol:

The Gallery magazine seemed to imply that the D4 was a dressed down D25, which was still in the catalog apparently. Not too much info otherwise. But it was a "True American..."

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Well I honestly can't speak for the bracing in a Westerly DV6, as to if it is shaved or scalloped, but I can say this. The bracing in all other Westerly built DV's is scalloped....the DV52, DV62, DV72, DV73....all scalloped, so I would assume the bracing was scalloped in the DV6. The 'Dreadnaught Vintage" series were designed to get a close as possible to the vintage sound right out of the box, without having to wait for the guitar to age......my perception anyway. In an effort to do just that, the bracing was scalloped in the DV series to try and achieve a bit more vibration from the top, I would think they would have done the same in the DV6.

West

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
The 'Dreadnaught Vintage" series were designed to get a close as possible to the vintage sound right out of the box, without having to wait for the guitar to age......my perception anyway.West
IN fact it's not just your perception but an almost verbatim quote from the '96 catalog (I have one). You're probably unconsciously remembering having seen it somewhere.
For sure "DV"'s were supposed to be a step up from "D"'s. I think they included selected wood too, but that could be faulty memory on my part. A final observation is that we've seen how Guild changed details during the course of production, and it wouldn't surprise me if the DV-4's and -6's DID get shaved bracing while the higher end DV's got the full scallop treatment.

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
twocorgis said:
Bill Ashton said:
Will bring this thread back to ask a question. A friend has just informed me that he still has his son's Guild DV6 NT that he bought him in '98 so he could take lessons. Apparently the piece has not had much use and I am encouraging him to start taking a few lessons and go to it! (He is a retired Deputy Fire Chief as I am).

Now, I always thought that the D4/DV4 was a mahogany body and the D6/DV6 the rosewood body. Apparently this is not the case. Sooo...what exactly is the difference between the D4 and D6 series??

I may be corrected here Bill, but IIRC the DV4 had standard X bracing and a satin finish to go with the mahogany back and sides. The DV6 is the same except it has scalloped bracing and a gloss finish.

Soooooooooo...........................its different. :lol: Steffan

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
adorshki said:
West R Lee said:
The 'Dreadnaught Vintage" series were designed to get a close as possible to the vintage sound right out of the box, without having to wait for the guitar to age......my perception anyway.West
IN fact it's not just your perception but an almost verbatim quote from the '96 catalog (I have one). You're probably unconsciously remembering having seen it somewhere.
For sure "DV"'s were supposed to be a step up from "D"'s. I think they included selected wood too, but that could be faulty memory on my part. A final observation is that we've seen how Guild changed details during the course of production, and it wouldn't surprise me if the DV-4's and -6's DID get shaved bracing while the higher end DV's got the full scallop treatment.

Al,

Was that out of a Guild Guitar catalog or was it out of a Guild Gallery Magazine?

West

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
One thing I unfortunately didn't examine was the bracing on the current DV-4 and DV-6, which are now made in Ensenada. As I think was already been pointed out the DV-4 is a solid mahogany, flat-backed dread, and the -6 is the same thing in rosewood. I have no idea when the model nomenclature switched over to this just making things ultimately confusing... yet another page with many asterisks in the Guild legacy.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Chazmo said:
One thing I unfortunately didn't examine was the bracing on the current DV-4 and DV-6, which are now made in Ensenada. As I think was already been pointed out the DV-4 is a solid mahogany, flat-backed dread, and the -6 is the same thing in rosewood. I have no idea when the model nomenclature switched over to this just making things ultimately confusing... yet another page with many asterisks in the Guild legacy.

You mean the NEW DV6 is rosewood, right Chazzy? The Westerlys were mahogany.

West

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Chazmo said:
Chaz maybe I'm misunderstanding you but I don't think we're talking simple name change. The "D"4 and 6 were archbacks, all the "DV" 's were flatbacks. I know this confusion has come up several times when these models are discussed.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
adorshki said:
Chazmo said:
Chaz maybe I'm misunderstanding you but I don't think we're talking simple name change. The "D"4 and 6 were archbacks, all the "DV" 's were flatbacks. I know this confusion has come up several times when these models are discussed.

Yes it is confusing......especially when you totally change a guitar, start building it in Mexico and keep the same model designation. I think all they have in common is that they are both dreadnaughts.

West

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
adorshki said:
Chazmo said:
Al, I was actually referring to the fact that depending on the year a DV-6 could be a mahogany guitar or a rosewood guitar. It's all confuzled.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
adorshki said:
West R Lee said:
Was that out of a Guild Guitar catalog or was it out of a Guild Gallery Magazine?
West
'96 catalog. I still have it. I'll double check it tonight.
OK, having checked, it WAS the first Guild Gallery (Richie Havens cover). I forgot there was a catalog in there and was visualizing that page in my head. Here's the real goods:
The '96 catalog lists a "DV"6 and a "D"52 but picture is labeled "DV"52, and shows abalone rosette. Bracing is described as shaved on DV6 and scalloped on "D"52. Methinks the listing is a misprint and should be "DV"52. I remember always puzzling over that but I finally think that's the problem. '96 catalog also shows D4 but no D6 and no "DV"4. Neither does '98 Guild Gallery #1 or 2001 Fender Frontline (Full line catalog). Westerlyguildguitars DOES show a DV4 and cites '99 catalog as the source for specs. What's in question now is whether it was an archback or not? They state the back structure design "reduces a siginificant amount of weight"- and "allows for greater diversity of tone color..." Those two details are supposed to be a hallmark of archbacks... And while Westerlyguildguitars does not show a "D6 a quick search here yields many references including one citing an '83 model.
Is anybody still here? :lol:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
adorshki said:
adorshki said:
West R Lee said:
West
'96 catalog. I still have it. I'll double check it tonight.
OK, having checked, it WAS the first Guild Gallery (Richie Havens cover). I forgot there was a catalog in there and was visualizing that page in my head. Here's the real goods:
The '96 catalog lists a "DV"6 and a "D"52 but picture is labeled "DV"52, and shows abalone rosette. Bracing is described as shaved on DV6 and scalloped on "D"52. Methinks the listing is a misprint and should be "DV"52. I remember always puzzling over that but I finally think that's the problem. '96 catalog also shows D4 but no D6 and no "DV"4. Neither does '98 Guild Gallery #1 or 2001 Fender Frontline (Full line catalog). Westerlyguildguitars DOES show a DV4 and cites '99 catalog as the source for specs. What's in question now is whether it was an archback or not? They state the back structure design "reduces a siginificant amount of weight"- and "allows for greater diversity of tone color..." Those two details are supposed to be a hallmark of archbacks... And while Westerlyguildguitars does not show a "D6 a quick search here yields many references including one citing an '83 model.
Is anybody still here? :lol:

OK Al, thank you sir. The reason that I asked was that I don't have any Guild catalogs around here, but do have several Guild Gallery magazines. You satisfied my curiosity....other than I was thinking there was an explanation somewhere of the concept of the DV series. Something like "Through shaved or scalloped bracing, Guild intends to get "vintage" sound right out of the box with the DV series"? I thought I vaguely remembered something like that.

All I was able to find (Guild Gallery Winter/Spring 1999) was "The DV52 is the product of years of research into how to tune the body and top of a new dradnought to sound as rich and seasoned as a vintage instrument." Still looking....thanks for your help.

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Here we go Al.....on the DV6. (Guild Gallery Summer '98, page 10). "The DV6 features a solid mahogany back and sides that have been specially selected for grain, weight and tone. The mahogany neck and end blocks provide the DV6 superior strength but add little weight. The top is double A graded sitka spruce and has shaved braces that provide strength while keeping the guitar light and playable. The bridge and fretboard are rosewood with pearl dot markers on the fretboard. . The DV6HR features all of the DV6 specifications but is finished in hand rubbed lacquer."

So maybe it would not be considered to have scalloped bracing? In fact, on the back page, under specifications, it says the DV6 has "shaved" bracing. Just above that is the D30 which shows to have "scalloped". There is a differentiation between the two. I sit corrected.

I'd still like to know where I got the theory behind the DV series..................it's laying around here somewhere.

West