Guild DV6 NT HG

bozscaggs

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post on this forum. I have been reading a lot on here for some time. I've not seen much talk about the Guild I have and am just curious does anyone have any info or knowledge about it. I have a 1995 DV6 NT HG made in Westerly. It plays great,sounds great wouldn't ever think of selling it or trading it. I have seen a lot pictures of other Guilds that look very similar. Any pictures,feedback,discussion of any kind would be appreciated. I have several other acoustics including a 67 Martin D-18 and this guitar holds its own with all of them!

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to the forum!

You have a WONDERFUL Guild dread.

I have the same guitar, mine's a '98 & I'll never part with it. You will find a lot of threads here about DV52's, which is the rosewood back/sides equivalent (+ just a little more snazz).

DV6's are very highly regarded by those that own them, but there wasn't a ton made. They are also total sleepers in the Guild line-up. Most are spruce top with mahogany back/sides, but I know at least a few were made with cedar tops.

Post photos of yours sometime if you can.

Here's a couple shots of my DV6 next to my dearly departed '96 DV52 that now resides with Scratch.

DVs.jpg

DVs2.jpg

FYI: There were totally different DV6 models made later in Tacoma, WA and I think maybe still currently in Mexico, but they are completely different guitars from the one you own. Yours is better. :D

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome to LTG land. Post some pics of your Guild. Love to see her :!: :!:

kostask

Reaction score
I have both a DV-6NT HG ('97) and a DV-52 (late '92). My DV-52 is a satin finished guitar with the herringbone rosette as per all of the earlier DV-52s, and is pretty much the rosewood version, and the DV-6 is the mahogany version. The DV-52 has more bass, is about the same in the midrange and top end. The DV-6 sounds smoother/warmer. Both are very, very good guitars. My DV-6 needs a neck reset, as it was improperly set at the factory, but even so, is still a very good sounding guitar by any measure.

I do like the ebony fingerboard on the DV-53 better than the rosewood one on the DV-6, just as a personal preference, and I like the higher gloss finish on the DV-6 better than the satin finish on the DV-52.

I think the DV-6 was produced for fewer years than the DV-52, so there are probably fewer of the DV-6s around. Fender really confused the issue when they made the DV-6 in rosewood in Tacoma for a short while.

Kostas

plaidseason

Reaction score
I've probably said this 50 times . . . but the DV6 is the most underrated guitar in Guild history. An excellent mahogany dread that will stand tall against the competion. It's also one the best values to be found.

One of these days . . . I'm going to get one.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Will bring this thread back to ask a question. A friend has just informed me that he still has his son's Guild DV6 NT that he bought him in '98 so he could take lessons. Apparently the piece has not had much use and I am encouraging him to start taking a few lessons and go to it! (He is a retired Deputy Fire Chief as I am).

Now, I always thought that the D4/DV4 was a mahogany body and the D6/DV6 the rosewood body. Apparently this is not the case. Sooo...what exactly is the difference between the D4 and D6 series??

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
bozscaggs said:
Hello, this is my first post on this forum. I have been reading a lot on here for some time. I've not seen much talk about the Guild I have and am just curious does anyone have any info or knowledge about it. I have a 1995 DV6 NT HG made in Westerly. It plays great,sounds great wouldn't ever think of selling it or trading it. I have seen a lot pictures of other Guilds that look very similar. Any pictures,feedback,discussion of any kind would be appreciated. I have several other acoustics including a 67 Martin D-18 and this guitar holds its own with all of them!

Hey Boz,

The Westerly DV6 is one of those I wish I had. I think they are a truly beautiful piece of work, both simple and elegant. You're a lucky guy. I'd love to see some pictures of that. I really toyed with buying a DV6 in Arlington a few years ago. There was no doubt it was a good deal, but at the time I just couldn't justify another guitar......if not for that, she would have been mine. Looking back, it's one of my regrets. I love 'em.

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
bluesypicky said:
West R Lee said:
I just couldn't justify another guitar......
West
West, what's wrong with you? :lol: :lol:

I don't know Pascal........funny thing is I find myself trying to justify another right now. Mrs. West says I've got to give up one or two to do that though. She does have a point......I'm running out of guitar room :( .

West

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Mrs. West says I've got to give up one or two to do that though. She does have a point......I'm running out of guitar room :( .
West
Arghhhh!!!! Women and their.......... what would you call it....... common sense? :lol:

Ridgemont

Reaction score
fungusyoung said:
Welcome to the forum!

You have a WONDERFUL Guild dread.

I have the same guitar, mine's a '98 & I'll never part with it. You will find a lot of threads here about DV52's, which is the rosewood back/sides equivalent (+ just a little more snazz).

DV6's are very highly regarded by those that own them, but there wasn't a ton made. They are also total sleepers in the Guild line-up. Most are spruce top with mahogany back/sides, but I know at least a few were made with cedar tops.

Post photos of yours sometime if you can.

Here's a couple shots of my DV6 next to my dearly departed '96 DV52 that now resides with Scratch.

DVs.jpg

DVs2.jpg

FYI: There were totally different DV6 models made later in Tacoma, WA and I think maybe still currently in Mexico, but they are completely different guitars from the one you own. Yours is better. :D
hehehe, look like your guitars are on a date!

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Bill Ashton said:
Will bring this thread back to ask a question. A friend has just informed me that he still has his son's Guild DV6 NT that he bought him in '98 so he could take lessons. Apparently the piece has not had much use and I am encouraging him to start taking a few lessons and go to it! (He is a retired Deputy Fire Chief as I am).

Now, I always thought that the D4/DV4 was a mahogany body and the D6/DV6 the rosewood body. Apparently this is not the case. Sooo...what exactly is the difference between the D4 and D6 series??

I may be corrected here Bill, but IIRC the DV4 had standard X bracing and a satin finish to go with the mahogany back and sides. The DV6 is the same except it has scalloped bracing and a gloss finish.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Bill Ashton said:

No sir, a Westerly DV6 is a mahogany guitar. Wouldn't have a clue on the other DV6's.

West

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
I guess I didn't provide enough info. Yes it is a Westerly label, DV6 NT HR which would say to me D6 "vintage bracing" "natural top" "hand rubbed" finish. Not trying to acquire this from him, as its formally his son's, but seeing she is abandoned at home my buddy might as well learn to play it. Just wanted to give him the proper specs.

Don't know where I got that "vintage bracing" thing, perhaps it was Han's book? (Don't own it, wife found it at the Library). IF there was a D4 and D6, DV4 and DV6 with different bracing would make sense to me, as would different body woods for each. But then as I also remember from Han's book, there is not necessarily sense to be made from model numbers :D

So, can someone tell me what he has (as I haven't seen it and am just communicating via email).

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Welp, I'll give it a shot Bill. A mahogany dreadnaught, with scalloped braces and a hand rubbed finish with a natural colored spruce top.

West

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Agreed! Found an old Guild "Gallery" magazine, about the time frame of this guitar. The D4 and D4G were "designed from the D25," where the D6HG or D6HR had AA-grade Sitka tops, "sanded-down" back and sides, and "shaved bracing." Both are mahogany guitars.

The mystery is solved!

plaidseason

Reaction score
Bill Ashton said:
Agreed! Found an old Guild "Gallery" magazine, about the time frame of this guitar. The D4 and D4G were "designed from the D25," where the D6HG or D6HR had AA-grade Sitka tops, "sanded-down" back and sides, and "shaved bracing." Both are mahogany guitars.

The mystery is solved!

There was also a DV4 and a DV25 - solid back versions of the D4/25 respectively.