Exciting news: Standard Series and revival of an old friend

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
adorshki said:
Frono has referred to shortscale basses, and when I went to do a little research I realized there aren't any bassses on the Westerlyguildguitars site! :shock:
No comments. There are some snobs :wink: who don't consider an instrument worthy unless it has six strings and makes useful volumes of sound when played acoustically. The Starfire in my sig is Hoboken but the other two basses (and the D-25) are Westerly. Generally the short scale Guilds have a 30.5 inch scale length and the long scale (or regular scale for Fender players) is 34.0 inches. Note that depending upon how sloppy and imprecise the measurement is, some folks will report a 32 inch scale for the short scale Guilds. Measuring from the 12th fret to the nut and doubling is probably the best way. Nut to bridge or 12 to bridge will vary with the bridge's intonation settings. This way you just have to be consistent about which sides of the nut and fret you use.

On the F-30 I'd guess it is the same as a D-25 based upon Mrs. Fro's reaction but we probably do need a more definitive source.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
adorshki said:
As far as guitars I can only remember ever seeing 2 on Guilds: 25-5/8" and 24-3/4".
After a fast looksee though some catalogs, it looks like all the standard acoustic flat tops are 25-5/8". Even the F-20!

The Artist Award and CE-100 for are also listed as 25-5/8".

The "glued-in" neck solid bodies and Starfire electrics are 24-3/4" (Same as a Les Paul).

I believe the M-65 "3/4" is a 22" scale.

The "bolt-on" neck solid body electrics are 25-5/8" (Strats & Tele's are 25-1/2")

The Starfire, "JS" and Bluesbird basses are 30-1/2". (like Frono said!)

From B-300's and up, solid body basses are 34"

The acoustic line of basses B-50, B-30, B4 & B-500 are 31".

The Ashbory bass has an 18" scale!

Now there's some numbers for ya!

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The Guilds of Grot said:
adorshki said:
As far as guitars I can only remember ever seeing 2 on Guilds: 25-5/8" and 24-3/4".
After a fast looksee though some catalogs, it looks like all the standard acoustic flat tops are 25-5/8". Even the F-20!
The "glued-in" neck solid bodies and Starfire electrics are 24-3/4" (Same as a Les Paul).
I believe the X 170 does as well.
Brad

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
plaidseason said:
The F30 and F30r have different times been available in both long and short scale. The M20 was always 24-3/4, I believe.
-Chris
I remember seeing that recently. I remembered it because I'm seriously interested in a short scale neck. Also Hans mentioned that F65's came in both scale lengths. I assume the later ones were the long scale since mine is "late and long". Also Songbirds and the Barry Gibbs' were cited as 24-3/4" necks.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The Guilds of Grot said:
The "bolt-on" neck solid body electrics are 25-5/8" (Strats & Tele's are 25-1/2")
I'm 99% positive that my '96 catalog shows a 25-5/8" scale for the S100, cause I was researching for different project recently. Of course, it also showed the S100 as having a rosewood pickup. :shock: No wonder Hans says you can't even always trust the catalogs! :lol:
By the way Grot, you think you might be able to talk that guy at Westerlyguildguitars into opening up a bass section? I suspect you'd be happy to provide the pics.... :)

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
GAS attack! I'm headed over to Union to go place an order for an F-212XL Standard. I think this means one or two others in the stable are gonna' have to go.

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Chazmo said:
GAS attack! I'm headed over to Union to go place an order for an F-212XL Standard. I think this means one or two others in the stable are gonna' have to go.

How does that work? Guild hasn't made any formal announcements yet, at least not on their website. I am asking because I am interested in an F30 Standard.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Chazmo said:

Congrats, Chaz, and best of luck. So far I've resisted the siren song of that GSR F30 at LMG.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Yeah, I'm excited. Order placed.

I have a good relationship with the owner of Union Music in Worcester, and I went in and discussed this with him. I told him all about our event and the new Standard Series introduction.

Knowing full well that pricing is probably not set and the Standard Series has no collateral yet, I asked him to get the ball rolling. I've put a deposit down, as is the normal process for special-ordering anything from Union. I'll keep you guys posted.

Sandy, I'm not sure if that GSR F-30R was spoken for. That's a really special instrument; hope you decide to grab it. As they told us, 1 of 10, right?

Ridgy, I'm not sure what to tell you. Maybe start asking at your store and make them aware of the series and your interest.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Chazmo said:
Sandy, I'm not sure if that GSR F-30R was spoken for. That's a really special instrument; hope you decide to grab it. As they told us, 1 of 10, right?

Indeed it is Chaz, and Jazzy briefed me on getting one. However, the road's taken a bit of a turn the last few days, and it looks like it's heading towards Texas Hill Country. :wink:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
twocorgis said:
Chazmo said:

Indeed it is Chaz, and Jazzy briefed me on getting one. However, the road's taken a bit of a turn the last few days, and it looks like it's heading towards Texas Hill Country. :wink:
Indeed. The siren song of a Scratchy sell-off is pretty hard to resist.

Dennis M

Reaction score
Boy am I glad I didn't sell my '99 F-30R. Was thinkin' 'bout it, then remembered all the old guitars i have sold, regretted, and am sorry.

And this talk of a new F-30 and F-30R. Well, it just confirms to me to hang on, to what you got . . .

Dennis M.

gibsonjunkie

Reaction score
Guild Total
Chazmo said:
Hi guys,

I have a good relationship with the owner of Union Music in Worcester, and I went in and discussed this with him. I told him all about our event and the new Standard Series introduction.

Knowing full well that pricing is probably not set and the Standard Series has no collateral yet, I asked him to get the ball rolling. I've put a deposit down, as is the normal process for special-ordering anything from Union. I'll keep you guys posted.

Ridgy, I'm not sure what to tell you. Maybe start asking at your store and make them aware of the series and your interest.

awesome news! I want to get one, too... but will have to wait until the Mrs. gets a job... I hope you don't have to wait too long!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks, GJ. I don't expect quick fulfillment of this GAS attack, but I hope it contributes to getting the ball rolling for the Standard Series. There's no question but that I absolutely NEED a jumbo, mahogany 12er in the herd. :D

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Chazmo said:
There's no question but that I absolutely NEED a jumbo, mahogany 12er in the herd. :D

Damn, Chaz, you can rationalize even better than I can! :lol: :lol: :lol:

kyguild

Reaction score
Chazmo said:
Hi guys,

You won't regret it, Chaz. I love my F-212XL, it's a real cannon, and the hog just gives it a sound that I prefer over rosewood or maple for a 12 string.

Can't think of a better shop to place the order through, either. I visited them on a rainy day a few months ago when I was in that neck of the woods, and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Wish I had the coin to place an order for the F-50R Standard through my local dealer, but, oh well, just have to wait.

Can you give any details on what appointments the Standard Series is going to have, or is that priviledged info for the time being? I know they will have a satin finish neck, but what about binding, Chesterfield, etc?

Ky

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
kyguild said:
You won't regret it, Chaz. I love my F-212XL, it's a real cannon, and the hog just gives it a sound that I prefer over rosewood or maple for a 12 string.

Can't think of a better shop to place the order through, either. I visited them on a rainy day a few months ago when I was in that neck of the woods, and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Wish I had the coin to place an order for the F-50R Standard through my local dealer, but, oh well, just have to wait.

Can you give any details on what appointments the Standard Series is going to have, or is that priviledged info for the time being? I know they will have a satin finish neck, but what about binding, Chesterfield, etc?

Ky

Thanks, Ky! I liked what I heard at the shop, and although it wasn't the ultimate in quiet time to make a decision, I know I will be happy to have this one when it comes. Ultimately, having it come from the hands and tools of the folks we met at LMG will be gratifying. I've often said that a primary reason for collecting things, especially guitars in my case, is the story behind the thing. I told the story of "Cap" to our videographer (crank) at the event, and I think this new guitar will have a great story, starting with me as the caretaker.

As for the appointments on the F-212XL, I think the binding was ivoroid or maybe it was more like light pickguard cellulose (anyway it was not white plastic). The thing was really toned down, especially the headstock, compared with the G-shield Traditionals, and I really liked it. As I recall there was no Chesterfield, but please forgive me as I was really somewhat overwhelmed by the whole tour and the presence of the new Standards to play so I can't give you a full list. The rosette was different too, if I recall. The tuners were nickel/chrome and sealed back Gotohs. I actually wish they were a nickel version of the openback Gotohs on the F-512, but maybe they haven't ordered those from Gotoh. Dunno.

You'll have to wait for the marketing collateral (or better memories than mine) to get the full rundown on the specs. Or maybe if I'm lucky I'll have mine soon and then I can post up. IOn any case, I'm going to ask those guys again if that stuff is available yet to us or to the dealer network. My guess is that it's still being prepared. Remember we were the first people to see 'em. Talk about hot off the presses!!!!! That was really amazing.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
I was kinda suspecting we were seeing what would be rolled out at NAMM...though with the flooding down there, will that still even happen?

I remember Frank U. telling us how he prevailed on the Ivoroid binding on the Standards, and it looks mint green (maybe that was the fl. lights) or off-white. We've had the discussion about the tuners above. I am pretty sure there is no Chesterfield, and just the peaked Guild lettering, though I remember that perhaps its also "real' and not MOTS. Cannot remember the rosette. Overall they were plainer guitars, sort like comparing a D50 to a D55. I don't say that in a bad sense, and the term "Standard" makes sense.

I think Frank also mentioned a difference in the finish, that second day he met us at the picnic. While nitro, the prior process is different so that the final finish does not shrink and require repolishing before shipment out of the plant.

The one I spent some time with had a dreadnaught body, so if there was a jumbo...and there very well could have been...I didn't see it.