Exciting news: Standard Series and revival of an old friend

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
As part of Lets Meet Guild 2010, we were introduced to several members of the new Standard Series instruments. This new series from New Hartford is the vehicle for bringing back some of the less-ornate models of the past (and inventing some new ones along the way) into the Guild line.

I had predicted / hoped that Guild would start producing the mahogany jumbo 12 (F-212XL) when the time was right, and so it is!!

Welcome back big hog! I'm GASsing like a maniac right now for one of these. Jeez, it's 6am and I want to get one right now. :)

There is a new F-50 Standard which is a really interesting extension of the line that never existed before. I predict great things for that guitar in the long run.

It was a lot to take in yesterday, so I'm not sure if the F-40 and F-30 variants we saw were also Standards, but I will tell you that these guitars are all about the legacy. What I mean is that they're preserving the image of the Traditional Series instruments while striking out with less fancy appointments.

Of note, the finishing of these guitars is a slightly different process, especially the necks, which are satin rather than gloss. Personally, I like satin better than gloss for the neck, so these really speak to me.

Anyway, I think we LTGers were the first to see and play these instruments yesterday, and I couldn't be more excited or optimistic about the future of the brand.

Now, when am I going to buy one of those XLs!!?!?! :D

cuthbert

Reaction score
Chazmo said:
As part of Lets Meet Guild 2010, we were introduced to several members of the new Standard Series instruments. This new series from New Hartford is the vehicle for bringing back some of the less-ornate models of the past (and inventing some new ones along the way) into the Guild line.

I had predicted / hoped that Guild would start producing the mahogany jumbo 12 (F-212XL) when the time was right, and so it is!!

Welcome back big hog! I'm GASsing like a maniac right now for one of these. Jeez, it's 6am and I want to get one right now. :)

There is a new F-50 Standard which is a really interesting extension of the line that never existed before. I predict great things for that guitar in the long run.

It was a lot to take in yesterday, so I'm not sure if the F-40 and F-30 variants we saw were also Standards, but I will tell you that these guitars are all about the legacy. What I mean is that they're preserving the image of the Traditional Series instruments while striking out with less fancy appointments.

Of note, the finishing of these guitars is a slightly different process, especially the necks, which are satin rather than gloss. Personally, I like satin better than gloss for the neck, so these really speak to me.

Anyway, I think we LTGers were the first to see and play these instruments yesterday, and I couldn't be more excited or optimistic about the future of the brand.

Now, when am I going to buy one of those XLs!!?!?! :D

Any idea on the price of the 212XL? Will it be available in sunburst finish? And cutaway?

Please, I wanna know!I'm looking for a Westerley JF-30-12 but I may re-allocate the budget...

Ridgemont

Reaction score
I assume since it will be a series, they will have all types of dreads and small body guitars. Does anybody who attended know about the smaller guitars such as F30s or F20s?

jazzmang

Reaction score
Ridgemont said:
I assume since it will be a series, they will have all types of dreads and small body guitars. Does anybody who attended know about the smaller guitars such as F30s or F20s?

They also had standard series F-30s and F-30Rs at the factory yesterday.

cuthbert

Reaction score
jazzmang said:
Ridgemont said:

Pics?

Guys, I'm so envy! I'd have loved to visit the Ovation/Guild factory... :(

jazzmang

Reaction score
No pics allowed inside the factory, but they were sure there.

Ridgemont

Reaction score
jazzmang said:
Ridgemont said:

Sweet! I better start planning.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I think we all wanted to, cuthbert! :)

Yes, cutaways are underway my friend -- another piece of excellent news re: the Standard Series which I forgot to mention. You betcha'! I think we'll be able to get the entire planned list of models from our new buddies there.

Guys, no more factory photo postings of anything in the public section (here), please. Sandy, don't make me come down there and open up a can o' whup-patootie!! :D :D

jazzmang

Reaction score
Yeah I would say its probably a good idea to remove that pic altogether.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Chazmo said:

Yes, cutaways are underway my friend -- another piece of excellent news re: the Standard Series which I forgot to mention. You betcha'! I think we'll be able to get the entire planned list of models from our new buddies there.

Guys, no more factory photo postings of anything in the public section (here), please. Sandy, don't make me come down there and open up a can o' whup-patootie!! :D :D

The posts Chaz is referring to here have been removed. Approved pics will likely follow in the member's section, but you'll be seeing these guitars before too long anyway.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
No harm done, folks. Rock on! I'd like to know when Fender will release some photos and material on the Standard line (as well as the GSR F-30R limited that we are all drooling over)... I'll give KK a call on Monday and ask for more details.

Gotta' figure out what I'm gonna' sell now to finance a big hog over at casa Chaz... ;)

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
I am not versed in the subtlies of the Guild model numbering system, but that said we did preview a new dreadnaught-shaped, natural-topped mahogany 12-string with ivoroid binding and gloss-body/satin-neck finish....whew, that was a mouthful. Oh, forgot the silver Gotoh cast tuners... :D

To be very fair, unless you grabbed a guitar when either a tour group was out, lunch was in progress, or like some of us...just picked up a guitar and went into a stairwell (!!!), it was difficult to hear what you were playing, there were just SO many guitars being worked out.
That said, it seemed to my ear that three guitars "cut through the mix," those being the Traditional D50, the new Standard D50, and...you guessed it...the new 12-string FX212xyz-whatever. I did take that one out to the far el of the cafeteria as lunch was winding down and it played and sounded very nice, to my hand perhaps a bit better than the higher priced 12's, though that might be an unfair comparision as there was quite a wide range of set ups.

As with all the guitars, the fit and finish was flawless, and its funny how the mid-priced line will have the more expensive, slightly mint-green Ivoroid binding that the big boys don't get.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I put up a post on the AGF now that all's said and done. Any of you guys that frequent there should feel free to share the experience with folks outside LTG. I know the Fender mgmt. approves of this type of thing. Just don't mention names or get too specific about anything in the shop; I'm sure that'll keep things unobjectionable (is that a word?). :)

zplay

Reaction score
Chazmo said:

Thanks for bringing the good news, Chaz!

BTW when you say cutaways, are you talking cuts without pickups? - That would be very good news indeed, if it is so.
I got to see and briefly play an Englemann/koa F-50 art a local shop that was simply spectacular. The quality of the koa was way up there too.

steverok

Reaction score
I'm very excited to hear this. I'm interested in the new F212XL appointments. What color was the pickguard, and what kind of tuners did it have ? Was the headstock logo the MOP Chesterfield design ? Thanks for the good news !

Steve-O

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Steve, zplay, I'll see if I can get details from Guild because I was in serious sensory overload and didn't take notes. I only know that I liked what I saw/felt/played, and - oh by the way - *smelled* on the F-212XL Standard. If I recall, and don't trust me on this, it was not a Chesterfield overlay... Standard Series has its own headstock identities. The pickguard was same as Traditional, I think... As for the Standard Series cutaways, I don't know. We had an interesting conversation about DTAR during the Q&A, but I don't know whether they'll offer without electronics or not. I think the answer is yes??? Of note, the F-47 and F-47M Traditional series had already been announced and made in cutaway form, I think. These I believe are avaialble w or w/out electronics. I might have my facts a little sideways though. ;)