My Rig

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I realised I had my camera in my bag last saturday, so I snapped some quickie pics of the gear I typically shlep to a gig :

The guitars - my trusty '62 X175, and my tele, a Japanese 50's RI that I've had for a long time, great little guitar. Nothing original on it except the wood though! You can also see my Mergili Reverb/Tremolo tank in this pic :
RIG1.jpg

The amp I use most, a 2005 Headstrong "Blue Lamp" (really a copy of a late 50's Fender Bandmaster) that's been modified with a late 60's Super Reverb output transformer. I have a NOS Philips 5751 tube in V1, and two NOS RCA 12AX7's, an old Russian GZ34 rectifier tube my tech has a pallet of that actually behaves more like a 5U4, and TAD 6L6's. Amp currently has two Weber 10A125 speakers in it (Jensen P10Q copies), and an Eminence Copperhead ceramic. I'm pretty manic about speakers though, and that lone ceramic gets switched out quite a bit. I'm liking this combo though.
RIGII.jpg

Pedals - A BYOC delay that I bought assembled, a BigfootFX Magnavibe vibrato pedal I got from forum member Mad Dog, and a EH LPB1 booster I use for a slight boost on one or two tunes. The big black thing is the Reverb/Tremolo on/off footswitch for the Mergili box. I usually have a Fulltone Déja Vibe univibe clone with me too, not last saturday though.

IMG_3251.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
8) :shock: 8) :shock: 8) :shock: 8) Love those Webers ... that's quite a rig Walter! John

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Sure wish I could get over there to hear you play. Great looking gear, and for damn sure you can play that stuff.

MD

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Dr. Spivey said:
Thanks for showing us the source of your fine tone ,Walter.
Walter - Thanks.
Dr. S - like your sig and your new "shut up and play yer guitar" avatar.

valcotone

Reaction score
Very nice rig, Walter! Thanks for sharing.

How did you come across your Mergili unit? I have a friend in Austin, Texas, and he bought a harmonica amp from Mergili a few years ago... just an amazing cab design on his amp too. How does your verb/trem unit sound?

gilded

Reaction score
Walter, I thought you used Super Reverbs. Is that only on the Big Gigs?

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
gilded said:
Walter, I thought you used Super Reverbs. Is that only on the Big Gigs?

Walter, I hope you don't mind... I was able to track down a gig photo with seems to be the referenced rig:

Walter-Broes-Seatsniffers-Kwadendamme-2009.jpg

Cool picture!

Dave :D

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Gilded, I used to play a Super Reverb almost exclusively, until my '68 got stolen a few years ago (along with our band van!), and we did a record at a studio that had a 50's Fender 2X10 tweed super...
I've come to prefer the 3X10 in the picture, or sometimes a 2X10 tweed super clone - I still have a Super Reverb, but I'm enjoying the fact the tweeds are a little less clean, loud, and a little more compressed. When I take out the Super Reverb I have now, it seems very loud, and very clean and "pointy" sounding.

Dave, nice pic, but that's a different gig.

Valcotone, I stupidly bumped into the Mergili unit online - even though I have quite a few friends in Austin and have spent some time there. I love mine - it's like having a great blackface reverb and tremolo section in front of a tweed amp, it works great, looks great, and was relatively cheap for the all- handmade box it is. (even has a US/EURO power transformer!)

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

MacAoidh

Reaction score
It's a shame there's no sound-clip; that lot looks capable of handling some serious blues!

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice setup, Walter! I always thought Twins and Supers are also a little too bitey. That reverb unit sounds tremendous, as do the Franz PUs!