'74 (I'm told) Starfire VI

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
My second Guild in as many weeks (via an amp trade), and it's a real eyeful.

SFVI_set2_11.jpg

SFVI_set2_13.jpg

SFVI_set2_16.jpg

It has some repaired binding on the neck:
SFVI_set2_21.jpg

The only other cosmetic indiscretions are a small (1/16" round) gouge in the finish under the edge of the the tailpiece. Looks like it might have banged against the top while unstrung. Also three odd, circular marks in the front finish, treble side of the tailpiece. Not abrasions, slightly raised areas, almost as if someone put something hot down against the top. Not very noticeable. I'll have to photograph it.

The ebony fingerboard is striking. So simple and beautiful. The inlays use two colors on the central, inset triangle, alternated up the neck. It's one of the prettiest instruments I ever seen. Luckily, it plays to match. The neck feel, frets, action and setup ... just perfect. All it needed was a fresh set of strings. After a few hours in the basement with the tweed twin and Sewell Wampus Cat, all I can say is Holy s__t, what tone! These pickups are outstanding. I'm counting myself lucky tonight.

MD

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
mad dog said:
'74 (I'm told) Starfire VI

Hello md,

Nice one! It's a 1975 model, but it is possible that it left the Westerly plant later than that. The type of label usually is a good indicator. This is the period that the Starfire VI did get the harp tailpiece and the Bigsby became an option. They used really nice maple veneers at that time.
Pickguard is really a '60s style but they may have had one lying around. Guild would not waste a good pickguard.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Happy I surely am.

Serial number 115740. Kakerlak's is a '74, and is earlier. He mentioned the pickguard, as did Hans. Apparently this was either Bigbified stock, or was later converted to Bigsby. Then two owners back, it was converted back to the harp tailpiece. Probably got a new pickguard at that time. That's probably the source of the finish imperfections I'd noted.

Have to do some clips. Hard to sleep last night, thinking about how good this guitar sounds ...

MD

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
mad dog said:
My second Guild in as many weeks (via an amp trade), and it's a real eyeful.

SFVI_set2_11.jpg

SFVI_set2_13.jpg

SFVI_set2_16.jpg

It has some repaired binding on the neck:
SFVI_set2_21.jpg

The only other cosmetic indiscretions are a small (1/16" round) gouge in the finish under the edge of the the tailpiece. Looks like it might have banged against the top while unstrung. Also three odd, circular marks in the front finish, treble side of the tailpiece. Not abrasions, slightly raised areas, almost as if someone put something hot down against the top. Not very noticeable. I'll have to photograph it.

The ebony fingerboard is striking. So simple and beautiful. The inlays use two colors on the central, inset triangle, alternated up the neck. It's one of the prettiest instruments I ever seen. Luckily, it plays to match. The neck feel, frets, action and setup ... just perfect. All it needed was a fresh set of strings. After a few hours in the basement with the tweed twin and Sewell Wampus Cat, all I can say is Holy s__t, what tone! These pickups are outstanding. I'm counting myself lucky tonight.

MD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06CCgcwz ... re=related :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: Steffan

Beautiful guitar......is that a custom made truss rod cover?

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Taabru:

Don't know about that truss rod cover. I'd assumed it was stock, but my ignorance in this area is deep. The pickguard is not stock, so perhaps other little touches were added.

Spent time last night comparing my '66 ES-335 with the SF VI. Unplugged, just getting a sense of how they feel. Fascinating, how different these two similar types are. The SF seems much bigger. It is thicker in the body, and heavier. The neck is more substantial as well. Strange, how stripped down and minimal the 335 feels next to it. The touch and feel is quite different as well, due at least in part to the wider neck on the SF. (The '66 ES-335 has a 1 9/16 wide neck at the nut.) Different as they are, one thing is the same. Once in your hands, you forget about comparisons and just play. Even unplugged, the personality and appeal of these two fine instruments is so obvious. Mighty cool stuff! (I'll be comparing more, next time plugged in ...)

MD

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just turn the trusrod cover the other way around and it'll be fine....upside down it is....regards Steffan

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Playing this blond beauty, I have more to worry about than an inverted truss rod cover. Such as, can I play well enough to justify owning this lovely thing??? Have to work on that ...

MD