What sounds like a twin

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Zulu:

On that tweed twin pricing. I have no idea what they are new. Traded into mine, about 1500 worth of Gretsch guitar. The amp was barely used, basically new. Now that's not cheap either, but lots more doable than whatever Fender is charging.

That's my motto lately. Buy used. Better yet, trade for used.
MD

zulu

Reaction score
Guild Total
mad dog said:
Zulu:

On that tweed twin pricing. I have no idea what they are new. Traded into mine, about 1500 worth of Gretsch guitar. The amp was barely used, basically new. Now that's not cheap either, but lots more doable than whatever Fender is charging.

That's my motto lately. Buy used. Better yet, trade for used.
MD

sounds like a good trade deal there. I'm constantly trying to trade stuff :)

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Latest trade in progress: Victoria 35115 tweed pro plus cash for a mid-70s Guild Stafire VI.

That Victoria came to me via trade also, part of the return for a totally sweet Clark Tyger (bandmaster.) It's hard to sell stuff now, much easier to trade. If you're patient, and have good stuff, good deals are out there.
MD

tele4tone

Reaction score
I agree about it being easier to trade. I am trading my M77 for a hand wired 18 watt Marshall 1974 X clone combo with a TMB circuit. Fun.

yettoblaster

Reaction score
zulu said:
... When I refer to the sound of a twin, it might me more of a general Fender sound in my head...

Zulu, you still looking?

I guess I'm resurrecting an old thread here. Thought I'd throw in my $0.02:

A couple of years ago I briefly had a Peavey ValveKing 112 50 watter (made in China), that I thought sounded pretty blackface Fendery on the clean channel, with decent headroom (more than a BF Deluxe), and a Marshally drive channel. The footswitch came with, and the whole rig seemed light enough to schlep, cheap enough to buy, and sounded purty durn good.

I used it initially for an outdoor gig with rehearsals, un-mic'd, and it did great. It was actually more amp than I needed (I like small tweeds) so returned it within a full return 14 day thing and got into something else.

But I made a note to myself that if I need/wanted a quick easily available BF sound, I would get another in a pinch.

I don't generally like buying import amps, but aside from that I thought it was a good performing (and cheap) tube amp. I don't know that there are NOT op-amps in it, but it sounded pretty good to me in that BF Fender way.
ymmv