What sounds like a twin

zulu

Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice tones. Thanks for the links. Reissues run 46 pounds. Am I getting older if the first thing I look at in the specs is weight?

tele4tone

Reaction score
Prosonics are kinda of rare and very enticing. Who has played one? I fear it sounds like a good idea and ends up being like a Fender 75 or one of the new supersonics which surprised me how bad it sounded.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
tele4tone said:
Prosonics are kinda of rare and very enticing. Who has played one? I fear it sounds like a good idea and ends up being like a Fender 75 or one of the new supersonics which surprised me how bad it sounded.
Hi T4T: there's a Prosonic on eBay here. Seller bungled the power rating ... he says 270watts ( :lol: ) Ampwares says 60watts and 54 pounds. Seller blithely mentions absence of footswitch ... easy for him to say. These are the (Yes, Rivera-style) channel-switching FSs with the stereo jacks/plugs/switches/leds ... $50 plus shipping at Pharoah Amps. Except for all the power / rectifier options ... a made-over Fender 75 ... good eye :wink:

tele4tone

Reaction score
I think there are some tube/ss rectifier switching options as well. I don't think that will change much in tone just response? I'll stop drooling over that one......

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
tele4tone said:
I think there are some tube/ss rectifier switching options as well.
Yes on the Prosonic but not on the F75; ss rectifier only but with a power-dumping switch to take it from 75 to 15 watts. btw the Prosonic on the Weber Buy/Sell page also missing its FS ... must be something in the water. :wink:

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I've long appreciated the BF/SF twin, especially the early silverfaces. But they're too heavy, too loud. The Pro Reverb is an obvious alternative at 40 watts (not the later, MV SF models which were 70). But still rather heavy.

The lo power tweed twin is a different thing, and I can recommend it highly. Mine is the '57 RI from Fender, and is one RI amp totally worthy of it's original name. Probably just under 50 pounds. Not the scooped, cavernous clean of the later ones. Way more mids, plus alnico speakers, even two rectifier tubes. 40 watts, and it's a loud 40 watts. As rich sounding and responsive feeling amp as I've come across. My Guild S-90 loves this amp!
MD

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Fender Prosonics have more in common with Mesa Boogies than they do with classic Fenders, played one and didn't like it one bit.

If you want the punch and power of a twin, but lighter, why not replace the speakers with Neo magnet speakers? Your twin will end up weighing about as much as a Showman Reverb head.

tele4tone

Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to hear the Neo's yet. Last I heard they were more of a "nice try, no thanks" kind of thing. Like Lace sensor pups on fenders.

zulu

Reaction score
Guild Total
Interesting thought on the speaker swap. The twin is gone now anyway. Have a possible trade deal on a '67 bassman head, slightly ironic that I want to improve my amp stash for the tele, but I may trade the tele for the amp. :?

The lo power tweed twin is a different thing, and I can recommend it highly. Mine is the '57 RI from Fender, and is one RI amp totally worthy of it's original name. Probably just under 50 pounds. Not the scooped, cavernous clean of the later ones. Way more mids, plus alnico speakers, even two rectifier tubes. 40 watts, and it's a loud 40 watts. As rich sounding and responsive feeling amp as I've come across. My Guild S-90 loves this amp!
MD

That looks like a sweet amp. Thanks for the suggestion.... / Insert game show announcers voice" Threeeeeeee thooooouuuuuusand dollars" / :shock:

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The Neo Speakers I've heard were actually pretty good, and so lightweight you can't help but laugh when you pick up the cabinet, feels like someone took the speakers out.

I love tweed amps, they're what I play these days, and I'd love to have a tweed twin, but it's a completely different sound than blackface/silverface amps, and not what most people think of when you say "Fender amp".

tele4tone

Reaction score
Interesting since I tend to favor oversized speakers. I just put a Celestion Truvox 12" 250w 8ohm Speaker in my Sundown Cab..... WHAAAA!!!!!! Loud clear and awesome!

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
zulu said:
Thanks for your thoughts.
When I refer to the sound of a twin, it might me more of a general Fender sound in my head.
Never played a tweed twin. It's just that punch and sparkle of the "twin" sound, maybe the headroom is part of it?
Don't need the screaming volume of 100w, that, and the weight, is why I recently let my "the twin" go to the barter stock.
I'd prefer a mic on a smaller amp. Looking for something to compliment the Guild amp. A showman head sounds like a good idea as I have a vintage Fender 2x12 cabinet I could use, but a 1x12 combo would be preferred.

I think the Dual Showman Reverb is the Twin in a head.

If you prefer a 1x12 this may be stating the obvious, but what about a SF Deluxe Reverb? They are great sounding & excellent gigging amps if stage volume levels present no issues... especially since you'll mic it (which the sound guy will thank you for). Adding a more efficient speaker (like the Weber or Jensen, etc. of your choice) will give you more headroom, too.

zulu

Reaction score
Guild Total
If you prefer a 1x12 this may be stating the obvious, but what about a SF Deluxe Reverb? They are great sounding & excellent gigging amps if stage volume levels present no issues... especially since you'll mic it (which the sound guy will thank you for). Adding a more efficient speaker (like the Weber or Jensen, etc. of your choice) will give you more headroom, too.

Not obvious to me, thanks for the tip. The next amp I buy will be the first amp I've properly researched.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Haha! Cool amp though. "original P10r's"...I think turning the amp up past halfway and hitting one decent power chord will take care of those in a hurry!

zulu

Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow cool bassman, man.
I might get to try out a 63 brownface bandmaster head with a "reversible gain mod".