What sounds like a twin

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
You mean 100 watts?
That's a lot of loud clean. The church I used to go to had a worship leader that played through a Twin, and I'll bet you dollars to donuts that it never made it off "2". :wink:
I would look at Mesa Boogies, and that sort. You're talking four 6L6s or EL34s for the output tubes. :shock:
You could mic something less powerful or run a line out from the speaker.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I guess these won't work ... Twins in the 80-90 pound range ....

olsen-twins-a-tale-of-two-sisters-horror-movie-remake.jpg

Tweed twin? Blackface Twin?

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Maybe a Showman? It's a head and cabinet, but you would run under fifty for each piece.

MrBoZiffer

Reaction score
Default said:
Maybe a Showman? It's a head and cabinet, but you would run under fifty for each piece.

I agree. The Showman may be a good route if you're willing to carry both. IIRC, the Showman is just the head version of the Twin.

zulu

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for your thoughts.
When I refer to the sound of a twin, it might me more of a general Fender sound in my head.
Never played a tweed twin. It's just that punch and sparkle of the "twin" sound, maybe the headroom is part of it?
Don't need the screaming volume of 100w, that, and the weight, is why I recently let my "the twin" go to the barter stock.
I'd prefer a mic on a smaller amp. Looking for something to compliment the Guild amp. A showman head sounds like a good idea as I have a vintage Fender 2x12 cabinet I could use, but a 1x12 combo would be preferred.

I had a Mesa Boogie Nomad 45 for a while but I had trouble finding 'my' tone consistently with it.

The second of the twins ??
:D you mean the one that didn't make it? :shock:

I guess these won't work ... Twins in the 80-90 pound range ....

Can't see the image capn, just me? I am curious as to your devious answer to the twin riddle.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Fender Vibrolux for the combo and Bandmaster Reverb for the head. 35-40 watts.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
zulu said:
... Can't see the image capn, just me? I am curious as to your devious answer to the twin riddle.
Hi Zac; no ... don't take it personally ... it's gone :( . I linked a pic of the Olsen twins directly off a web-page. Besides all the malware out there, copyright holders pay web firms to operate crawlers or worms ... I guess that's what they're called ... and they crawl through BBs and web-pages looking for unauthorized use of copyrighted images ... So, my answer to your question 'what sounds like a twin?' was, in a pic, a twin sounds like a twin. heh heh ... sort of ... :mrgreen:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Nice one Steffan ... a twin twin (quad 6F6s) ... darn well ought to sound like a twin! :lol:

zulu

Reaction score
Guild Total
Ha! An Olson twin. :lol: at the both of yas.
Fender Vibrolux for the combo and Bandmaster Reverb for the head. 35-40 watts.
Those go on the short GAS list. Thanks!

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
You can also look for clones. Sometimes you can get a 50 watt amp jammed into a Princeton-sized cabinet.

zulu

Reaction score
Guild Total
Appreciate the tip. Regarding your screen name, tele, It's the telecaster's searing twang that I identify with the Fender twin. Maybe a more of a telecaster enthusiast such as yourself would suggest other amps as well.

tele4tone

Reaction score
Dude... I think Tele and Ampeg Rocket or Jet is FANTASTIC!!!!! I had a Gibson falcon that sounded great too. You can find a Reverbrocket for 300-500 depending on condition. If you want to stay in the Fender range the vibrolux and deluxe reverbs spank good too.....I wish I had some sound clips for you.