jefferson airplane rehearsals 1967

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
adorshki said:
I don't think it'll be dead for a while, because there's a lot of audiophiles out there like me who still prize the quality they're getting from their traditional systems. My Sony CD player has a magnificent pre-amp and I've actually heard a couple of CD's now that can actually outclass 99% of my vinyl, and I'm one of those vinyl purists!. I haven't heard anything to compare from a hard drive storage system yet, or maybe the real culprit is the sound card, you know what I'm saying. But I'm a tech dinosaur so there very well could be stuff out there I'm just not aware of. I know when my buddy plugs his Ipod into my system it's "pretty darn good" but still not quite as good as the vinyl or CD when comparing the same material. In that case I attribute it to the mp3 file format.

Hey, I still have 1000+ LPs, and a nearly forty year old Thorens turntable (and yeah, my wife thinks I'm nuts, but what does she know? She likes Air Supply!). I still love all my old records, and play them a lot. Most of them I prefer to the CD reissues of the same titles. I also like the format of the LP, and the nice big artwork you get. Can't say that about CDs, that's for sure. And that is why most anything that has been released in the "CD age" I'd rather have as a digital file. I also prefer the m4a mode of compression to the mp3. I generally rip as 256kbs m4a, and to my 51 year old ears (that have been to a lot of rock concerts), they sound pretty much indistinguishable from the non-lossy source, even on my pretty high end stereo. In my experience 128kbs mp3 files sound acceptable on a boom box, but that's bout it.

adorshki said:
I think it's just the fact that so much CD distribution is internet driven that's diminishing its retail presence. Tower on line is an example. Their flagship store used to be just a couple of miles from my house. I'd love to be able to browse the covers before I buy but there's not enough people like me to support the retail overhead.

I think the whole business model of selling music has changed, and the music industry just refuses to accept it. They can't understand why young people won't buy an album that has two or three good songs on it, with the rest of it being filler. Kids these days don't buy music like that, nor do they want CDs at all, and for better or worse they're the future. The RIAA better get with the program, or fade away just like newspapers are doing these days.

Sadly, people like us are a dying breed :shock:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
FWIW, I have lost too many hard drives to fully trust them as my only repository for music. The only counter to that is to have good and reliable backups or buy from an online source that ties the purchase to a person and not whichever storage device they happen to be using at the time. Alas, the reliable solutions to backup take more work or cost more money than I want to spend at home (I admit that as a professional systems administrator I want the convenience and reliability of my Enterprise tools even if they are overkill for home use) and the whole Digital Rights Management mess is still based upon protecting the rights of the copyright holder from a consumer who is presumed to be a thief rather than making it easy for a legitimate purchaser to use the product. Bottom line is that I will continue to buy music on CD or not pay for it at all, so long as the format is available. While I sound like some kind of criminal with the "not pay for it" comment there are already numerous sources of free digital music.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Dr. Spivey said:
I'm a huge Airplane fan, but was a bit too young to have seen them live. Saw Starship on their second tour, and words cannot describe how disappointing that was. The soul of Airplane went to Tuna. Grace and her pals seriously over estimated their own talent, creativity, and energy. Jack and Jorma made the right move, IMO.
I agree about Starship except for "Blows Against the Empire" which technically I don't consider as "Starship". But Airplane was definitely more than the sum of its parts. I miss the classic JA vocal harmonies in Hot Tuna even though I love 'em. And Marty DID want to start a pop band after all, and just returned to that original vision. I can't fault him for it but it never had the same chemistry as Airplane. Even as late as Volunteers with "Turn my Life Down", one of my favorite cuts on that album, JA's "pop" outclassed anything ever done as "Starship". As for Jack and Jorma, they were already hooked up before JA and simply remained hooked up (thank the lord!) as JA imploded with all the usual '70's peccadilloes...Remember Hot Tuna started as a way for 'em to get back to their roots after about 3 years of nothing but a high pressure grind of recording and touring. I don't think the rest were on ego trips though, I think it was just all they knew how (or wanted) to do. Grace even always said there's nothing more ridiculous than a 50-year old rocker and stuck to her guns when she retired, refusing multiple entreaties to "come back". Like Frono likes to do, I'm just pointing out "the other side of the coin"... :)

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Dr. Spivey said:
... The soul of Airplane went to Tuna.
I liked them too Doc ... they took all kind of artistic chances that gave them their distinct sound but I think they had a few too many moving parts. When I went in the service, they were at their height of the popularity ... by the time I got back, they'd been Intunated ... whatever 'it' was about them ... it wasn't there anymore ... John