Compensating Bridge on SF III

Reaction score
I am thinking of adding a compensating bridge to my SF III with Bigsby. I've been told to stay away from "roller" type bridges; a Tonepros tune-o-matic style on a rosewood base has been recommended. Has anyone done this and have you been satisfied with the results?

Bob

2004 SF III
2000 SF IV
2004 Gibson ES-137
1973 Gibson LP Deluxe
Martin D-17

Bobo

Reaction score
Guild Total
You might want to look into a Tru-Arc bar bridge on a rosewood base. That seems to be a hot setup for a Bigsby-equipped archtop.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
It depends on the neckset, really. My SF dates from the sixties and I'm going to be investing in a neck reset. To lower the action, I had to grind down the Bigsby bridge. The rollerbridge from Stewart-McDonald is one of the lower profile bridges I've seen. I installed one on a DeArmond M75T, because I couldn't get the stock bridge low enough. I have to pm zom-zom and see if he (I think :oops: ) ever solved his problem with bridge height.

If you don't have a height problem, a tom should be fine. I haven't used a Tru-Arc, but, considering how a plain g on Bigsby bridge intonated for a wound g sets my teeth on edge, I can't see how I would like a completely straight bridge. :?
Not to dis Proteous' work, but the space control bridge on my Astro doesn't do it for me either.

gilded

Reaction score
Aren't there 2 different Bigsby Bridge models, with different compensation for wound/unwound G strings.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Harry! There are, but it's a bit harder to get one for an unwound g.
Elderly Instruments said:
BIGSBY REPLACEMENT GUILD® SPEC COMPENSATED BRIDGE, NICKEL/ALUMINUM
This is the bridge that is compensated for an UNWOUND G string. Post spacing is 2-31/32".
on order, expected arrival date unknown.
0271-NKL......list $28.00.....our price $25.00 buy

A brief google reveals that Fred Gretsch Enterprises (owner of Bigsby) only offers ONE freaking bridge.
Maybe intonation isn't important to ol' Fred. :?

rcboals

Reaction score
I have a 99 Starfire III came with the Bigsby bridge which wasn't notched correctly. The newer Guild bigsby base is larger than the older ones so, I stuck one of my Gretsch rocking Bar bridges on it to see what it would be like. What a differrence in over all tone and sustain. Intonation is also spot on. I have had many roller bridges over the years and the Gretsch rocking bar bridge has worked the best for me with Bigsby quiet no rattles and the tone and sustain is increased.
P1000691.jpg