anyone interested in a '67 Starfire V...? (no, not mine!)

ac1dt3st

Reaction score
i'm trying to help a local guy sell a Starfire V from a deceased uncle's estate.

it's fairly roughed up, but he's a guitar guy, and says it's completely playable.
i'm also looking for advice for him on pricing the guitar, so input appreciated there.

please check out my post in the member's section... thanks!

http://letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17635

gilded

Reaction score
Does it have the original case? Or for that matter, any case?

Two years ago, it would have been worth $1500 with playable frets and a hardshell to a motivated buyer.
Now, well, I'm not so sure. $1250? It's pretty beat up. I personally like that look, but in fairness, most of the LTG collectors that
I know like very clean gear. Let's say 10 guys are looking for a '67 SF V. How many of the 10 would accept one in that condition? 3 or 4 out of 10, maybe?

What else are they trying to get rid of out of Dear Old Uncle's Estate?

ac1dt3st

Reaction score
gilded said:
Does it have the original case? Or for that matter, any case?

Two years ago, it would have been worth $1500 with playable frets and a hardshell to a motivated buyer.
Now, well, I'm not so sure. $1250? It's pretty beat up. I personally like that look, but in fairness, most of the LTG collectors that
I know like very clean gear. Let's say 10 guys are looking for a '67 SF V. How many of the 10 would accept one in that condition? 3 or 4 out of 10, maybe?

What else are they trying to get rid of out of Dear Old Uncle's Estate?
thanks for the reply, gilded.

it's hard to see, but tucked under the last photo he wrote:
Comes with an old case, but it's not a hardshell. Not really a softshell either.
i know he's also trying to move a 1972 Fender Thinline Telecaster. other than that, he told me he has:
12 guitars of varying quality, a few amps, keyboard, drum set.
i believe this was the only Guild. if you like, i can check on the other stuff.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have no problem with used/thrashed guitars and I really want to get a Starfire double cut but I wouldn't pay top dollar for that when I could get something pristine for the same amount. Fortunately, I'm gear rich at the moment, but I'd trade the strat for one. Not sure that I'd pay more than a grand, tops.

gilded

Reaction score
Default, I think you are probably right about the $1000, in view of the chipboard case. I would not care to ship a guitar in a chipboard case, so I really, really don't have any interest in the guitar.

ac1dt3st, if you like these folks, I'd just tell 'em to run it in the local craigslist at $1400 and drop it at $50 or $100 a week until it sells. Or tell 'em to wait a year or so till prices go up. I do not have an interest in a Humbucker Thinline Tele, but I would like to hear about the other guitars, keys, amps and 'stuff' unless it is an inconvenience to you.

Thanks, Harry

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Esp. when you can build a tele-clone of any flavor for 4-5 bills.

But then again, I'm not a tele kind of guy.

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I'd be interested in hearing about these guitars of varying quality. (That describes what I have already!)

MD

cc_mac

Reaction score
This guitar came up in a lengthy conversation with a friend in Toronto last night. He encountered a 1970 Ampeg Dan Armstrong lucite guitar in a shop. The price was $3500 CDN and the guitar was in decent shape but didn't have all the original parts. He's wanted one for years and enjoyed playing it but couldn't make the jump to light speed. Too much money for something that looks cool and sounds cool. Basically, he's out of his financial league.

The Starfire V here looks like a great player's guitar. To evaluate it in person, play through an amp, and get a real feel for what it is might make the difference. Yes, the back looks kind scary, the front could be cleaned up and look decent and if it is structurally sound and the fretboard and frets are in usable condition then I'd consider it. What's it worth? Whatever someone is willing to pay for it - but that's always the case. Cleaning up the guitar, doing a quick setup, new strings, and some sexier photos would make it more appealing and people would be less likely to dismiss it as a beater and laughable regarding the price. If it were local to me I be checking it out and offering $750 :)

It's a cool instrument and best wishes on a profitable sale for seller and buyer.

ac1dt3st

Reaction score
mad dog said:
I'd be interested in hearing about these guitars of varying quality. (That describes what I have already!)

MD
i wrote to ask him about the rest of the stuff. unfortunately, he's trying to sell the electrics before moving on to the acoustics, so not a lot of information about those yet. i posted what i know in the member's area, because it includes a lot of CL entries, and i don't want to break any forum rules:

http://letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17635

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
I also like worn players like that one. The most unsettling part, though is what appear to be binding issues on the lower bout. Wish I could spare the dough. Without binding issues, a solid player is worth $1000.

Jack FFR1846

Reaction score
To perhaps give you a comparison to give to him, there's a 69 Starfire V at Guitar Center in Natick, MA for $1600. It's cherry with the Guild Bigsby and plays very well, looks very good overall and appears very solid. I played it for about an hour....mainly because I never see anything like this....except in my own house. I gotta figure GC paid maybe $900 or less for that guitar, knowing what they pay. You can probably still find it in the used section of GC's page.