Z90 pickups in X170 types?

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Remembering a discussion in which pickup swaps for X-170 and X-160 Guilds were mentioned. Was it Matsickma who had done this? Anyway, can anyone comment on how these Harmonic Design HB sized P-90s compare to regular humbuckers?

Actually, any pickup swap info would be appreciated. Another choice I'm curious about is minihums. One of the boutique p/u winders (Tom Short I believe) has a set which fit in the full-size HB case. Wondering what this type of p/u would sound like in a hollowbody type.

Thanks.
MD

matsickma

Reaction score
Yes. I took a pair of Z90 and added to late 80's /early 90's X160T or X161, depending on the exact year and Guilds changing notation. To have the black Z90's stand out a little bit I installed standard flat 2 hole plastic "chrome" HB bezels. They were flexible enough to flex to the archtop shape of the X160.

M

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thanks Mat. I though it was you. So how do they sound???

MD

matsickma

Reaction score
The Z90's are more agressive than a normal P90 but not as agressive sounding as the P90's on a Blues 90 or Bluesbird 90. I installed a thin string gauge that doesn't do the Z90 justice. I need to put a heavier set of strings on the guitar. The bridge pup is a little low in output and can be overpowered by the neck pup so I backed it down a bit. The X160 with Z90's does sound different from the Corona Starfire 3-P90 I play. In general I am found of the X160's/X170's model and find the Z90's a nice alternative to the stock humbuckers on these guitars.

M

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I just found an x-170 to try locally. Early 80s. The bridge p/u was lower in volume than the neck. Middle position sounded great. Overall I had mixed feelings about the guitar. It sorta worked for me, sorta did not.

How different are the later, 90s examples? Same neck profile? I have the oppty to trade an amp for one, a '95. Tempted.
MD

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
mad dog said:
I just found an x-170 to try locally. Early 80s. The bridge p/u was lower in volume than the neck. Middle position sounded great. Overall I had mixed feelings about the guitar. It sorta worked for me, sorta did not.

How different are the later, 90s examples? Same neck profile? I have the oppty to trade an amp for one, a '95. Tempted.
MD

I can't speak specifically for the early 80s X170s, but I have owned many 70s/80s Guilds, and many late 90's Guilds, and in every case the 90's Guilds has 1 11/16" necks while the early ones had 1 5/8" necks. In fact I let multiple killer sounding vintage Guilds go because I couldn't bond with the necks.

I've owned two X170s - a '99 and a '00, and I love the necks on both of them due to the 1 11/16" width.