1955 X-550B On Ebay

motopsyche

Reaction score
Ooops! I got all twitterpated about that Italian job. Those pix were meant for the Duane Eddy listing. But, hey, it's all good blonde Guild fun!

fab467

Reaction score
Chris Metcalfe said:
Hmmm, I keep coming back to this auction-I'm intrigued.

Re the earlier points about headstock/ binding/ checking; I have a '56 X500, like this, but sunburst, so I can compare them - the headstock lacquer on mine is breaking up just like this example, so that seems authentic, but the body finish on mine is also quite checked, as you'd expect, and the binding is quite yellow, as you'd expect for 55 year old nitro lacquer. I just can't see how this example can have snow-white binding and a relatively white top, unless it is a refinish or possibly has been stored in the dark. 55 year old nitro lacquer is light brown!!! The other odd-looking thing is the switch tip, which is also quite light-coloured, whereas the original switch tip on my '56 is mud-coloured. Could be a replacement, of course.
Chris,
Good point re the snow-white binding. I posed the same question back on page one of this thread. Agree about the checking too.
It does look a bit suspicious... :?

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
hansmoust said:
Guilderagain said:
hansmoust said:
Don't think so!

Hello Hans,

Don't think so carved top or don't think so unusual?

Hello Guilderagain,

It would be unusual if it had a carved top, which I don't think it has!

Hey folks,

Really had forgotten about this auction. It ended today and while I was checking I also noticed that the seller had added the following info to the auction description:

On Jan-31-10 at 14:15:07 PST, seller added the following information:

Some very knowledgeable guild experts have informed me that the top is not carved and upon further inspection into looking into the guitar with a flashlight mirror I concur! It is 3 layers of solid wood with spruce on top and bottom and a darker wood in the middle. I don't feel that this conclusion detracts from the beauty and great tone of this guitar or should it affect the final value. There are a lot of reasons why it sounds so good and it is exactly what it is supposed to be according to the original Guild specs. Laminated tops went on guitars that were going to be fitted with pick ups and and to cut down on feedback. As far as the headstock goes it appears to be checked and cracked due to the direct sunlight in the photo. It is in excellent condition and on the same time frame as the rest of the guitar. The only item that appears to be non original is the early 60's 2nd version tailpiece. The guitar also weighs about 7 lbs. Thanks for all the interest! Whom ever wins the auction is getting a great guitar!

So, for those who thought that a carved top Guild X-500/550 might exist .......... I have to disappoint you!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Didn't sell - maybe it will reappear at a lower price!

walrus

Danny F

Reaction score
He ended it early, cancelling extant bids. From some conversation with him prior to this it seemed that he was soliciting auction ending offers. I declined but did bid through Ebay for a while. Maybe he got an offer that was good enough?

fws6

Reaction score
sorry for chiming in so late. I wanted to do so during the auction, but apparently it takes quite a few days to get registered here (I can understand because of all the spam). Not sure if it is useful that I vent my personal opinion at this point still, but I just wanted to say that:

1- I bought my '59 X500 from the same seller; very friendly guy; real Guild enthousiast; my guitar was as beautiful as they come, exactly as described
2- I am sure he was convinced it was a solid top himself and not trying to fool anyone; he immediately admitted that it was a laminate after taking out the PU
3- there was at least one bid after he made the correction so apparently, to whomever got it in the end, it was worth more than the 3800 - 3900 or so that the first 18 bids had reached

l_019eb76694344c06b0ec706159ec5abb.jpg

gusto

Reaction score
what a beauty you have there. i thought he pulled the add?