1955 X-550B On Ebay

fab467

Reaction score
Nice indeed! Don't see too many of these turning up. A tad on the pricy side though...

Danny F

Reaction score
Bridge looks like maybe a later replacement too? Still, looks good to me - no alarm bells went off and I've wanted one forEVER so have bid already. Anybody have any thoughts on this before it gets serious? Finish on the head stock looks kind of odd to me. Not just old, but thickly applied too? Perhaps just the photo.

+1 that this seems very expensive.

NEONMOONY

Reaction score
He must be fond of that type of bridge, whatever it is, it looks like the other archtop in the first pic has one also. Does the closeup of the front of the headstock look weird to anybody else or is that how they were? It looks to me like it was hand painted by a kid or is that from age?

caveman

Reaction score
The bridge is a 'Melita' that you'll often find on Gretsch guitars. Most people dislike them because it's pretty much impossible to damp the strings with your hand on it. Beautiful guitar. I'll keep watching !

Chris Metcalfe

Reaction score
This certainly is an unusual X500 - according to the description ::: most musically attractive feature of this amazing guitar is the carved spruce top and georgeous one piece flamed maple back.most of the later ones are laminated.
If that's true ( Hans?) it would be rare, and would both sound sweeter than the lam-top X500, and feedback more easily. What puzzles me, though, is why Guild would put a melita bridge with adjustable bakelite saddles on a carved top ( again , assuming the bridge to be original)- it would not exactly help that carved-top tone shine through!! If I was considering bidding for this, I'd ask the seller to take off one of the pups, and take a picture, to verify that the top really was carved - if it's laminated, you can clearly see the two-part lamination in the pup cutouts.

Having said all that, as we know guild would apparently try anything at least once, so maybe it's for real - in which case I guess it might, just possibly, be as valuable as the seller thinks it is!! Still, I'd want to double-check before bidding.

eleventeen

Reaction score
The tailpiece appears to me to be a later one, screwed in with black countersink (wrong) screws. The top grain seems pretty tight, as it would on a carved top guitar, but that is no proof. I'm a little suspicious of the difference in condition between the headstock with finish checks and the body with apparently none. Beautiful guitar, though, no question about it.

fab467

Reaction score
I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway...why would the binding still be snow-white, or darn close to it, on a 1955 vintage guitar? We're talking 55 years old! Regardless of the care this guitar received, wouldn't the binding take on a darker patina?

Just askin'...

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
that is one beautiful guitar!!!! I'd be suprised if it had a carved top too, but still, WOW!! Too clean for me, I'd mess that guitar's finish up in less than a year just by playing it and shlepping it around everywhere. But then I could never afford it either, haha.

I guess the Melita could be original - were they already a custom-order-able item by that time Hans?

motopsyche

Reaction score
Sweet guitar. Here's what the seller had to say about the funky-looking headstock: "I must admit my camera isn't the greatest. Most of that is glare and reflection. There are small cracks underneath but they aren't breaking the surface too much and it doesn't appear at all to be repainted. Just slightly dried out." The Melita is my least favorite bridge, so that would have to go.

Also interesting is the cool Kay Barney Kessell to the left of the Guild. Those "Kleenex Box" pickups can really growl when set up right. Interesting to see another stock Melita on the Kay.

Chris Metcalfe

Reaction score
Hmmm, I keep coming back to this auction-I'm intrigued.

Re the earlier points about headstock/ binding/ checking; I have a '56 X500, like this, but sunburst, so I can compare them - the headstock lacquer on mine is breaking up just like this example, so that seems authentic, but the body finish on mine is also quite checked, as you'd expect, and the binding is quite yellow, as you'd expect for 55 year old nitro lacquer. I just can't see how this example can have snow-white binding and a relatively white top, unless it is a refinish or possibly has been stored in the dark. 55 year old nitro lacquer is light brown!!! The other odd-looking thing is the switch tip, which is also quite light-coloured, whereas the original switch tip on my '56 is mud-coloured. Could be a replacement, of course.

It is a great-looking guitar, though, and ( assuming it's really a laminated top, not carved ) might still fetch reasonable money, even if it is a refinished example. Personally I think refinished guitars can be excellent value player's instruments, if priced as such. We'll see!

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
I see a minor separation and lifting in the back binding below the tailpiece anchor, in an area where the other back binding also looks slightly discolored. To me, that tends to argue in favor of the original finish. The other alternative is that the guitar was refinned years ago (except for the headstock), played lightly and then put away.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
motopsyche said:
Also interesting is the cool Kay Barney Kessell to the left of the Guild. Those "Kleenex Box" pickups can really growl when set up right. Interesting to see another stock Melita on the Kay.
Noticed that one right away. I go to a monthly "folk" gathering, and in December one of the members showed up with a 50s Kay archtop, don't remember the pickup offhand, but it sure sounded nice when he plugged it in and did some fingerpicking, and that was one of the Silvertone level models.
Brad