Guild X-350 Communal Project Thread

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
John Kidder has so graciously offered up a basket-case X-350 to the community in this thread, figured that it would be good to have a dedicated thread.

Refresher post

john_kidder said:
The back bindng is shot.

Carefully remove binding and replace with closest match. Try a thin colored wash on scrap, to try an match the natural aging? I'm thinking tinted lacquer?

Layers of ply are separating on the waist of the bass rim.
The plywood is delaminating, shoot some thin hideglue under the separations and clamp down with a sandbag? Maybe even a heated sandbag?

The peghead surface looks corroded near the nut, as if it had been eaten away by something.

Interesting use of an amalgamator solution to repair a crazed finish. Lacquer drop and a cork block/2500 grit to repair?

The pickguard is amazingly warped.

Make a repo from the warped guard (just in case. :cry: ) Gentle heat and slow and gentle compression to try to flatten it out?

The frets are shot, and the fingerboard has huge divots all up and down the neck - Eiichi the luthier said it looked as if had been played by an aggressive blues guy who never cut his fingernails.

Repairing fingerboard divots.

It's had a replacement neck binding sometime, which seems to have been heatshrunk over the ends of the frets.

Considering that it needs a refret, that may or not be a problem. My Gretsch has nibs on it's binding. Maybe there are nibs on this one?

john_kidder

Reaction score
Default:

Missed this posting altogether - sorry.

I reiterate the offer: I'll donate my beater of a '53 X350 to LTG, for a test bed to examine various wiring and tonal possibilities, and to work on structural repairs to an old classic.

Default has volunteered to organize the project. If we all run out of interest at some time, we'll put the guitar up for sale, proceeds to LTG. i have the guitar back from the luthier, and I will ship it (collect or prepaid) to the first destination.

John

motopsyche

Reaction score
Hi John,

I'm up for taking a crack at removing the caps from the wiring harness and setting the Franz pups free. It would be great training for tackling my '60 X350. I can clean the pots and switch while in there.

Count me in and schedule my turn where it makes sense. I imagine that might be early on.

Many thanks for this opportunity!

Bill