'53 Guild Prototype?

mickj

Reaction score
Didn't find this threaded before, but it's been listed on GBASE for awhile might have missed it.

What's the opinion? Hans?

Cute little thing however except for the spelling of the name on the headstock, nothing else looks like any Guild I ever seen.

http://www.gbase.com/gear/guild-1953-natural

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It's not even a Guild - I forget who actually made those, but you find them with the Premier brand, among others.

alpep

Reaction score
there was a jobber in NJ named united that built a bunch of stuff that looked like that.
premier was one of the name but there building house brand stuff.
ok stuff not fantastic

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
mickj said:
Didn't find this threaded before, but it's been listed on GBASE for awhile might have missed it.
What's the opinion? Hans?
Cute little thing however except for the spelling of the name on the headstock, nothing else looks like any Guild I ever seen.

Walter Broes said:
It's not even a Guild - I forget who actually made those, but you find them with the Premier brand, among others.

Hello folks,

It's not a Guild at all. Walter is correct. It was made by Code in New Jersey, who manufactured guitars under various brands of which Premier was one of the more popular ones.

The logo on the headstock is a decal, which wasn't even in use during the early '50s. This type of logo was developed for the Guild solid body instruments that were made during the mid-'60s.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

teleharmonium

Reaction score
It's laughably overpriced, especially with whatever the original logo or headstock face was, missing. However, it's probably a nice little guitar. I have a Premier Bantam which is basically the same thing, but with one DeArmond in the neck position and a sunburst finish. It's a great player with a huge neck.

The original bridges are usually poorly fitted wooden two piece affairs, but that's changed easily enough. I left the original on mine; I had a metal bridge added with new custom fitted wooden feet, but then it was too bright and sustaining for me. I went back to the kind of banjo-esque sound of the one it came with. It gives off nice harmonics, and the sound has a lot of personality.

I've seen these called Premier and Stewart, and maybe also Orpheum ? Usually the binding is in terrible shape, and/or the prices are a joke. But I wouldn't discourage anyone from picking up a clean one if they find it at a reasonable price. The Premier version usually comes with a great looking and well made art deco style tailpiece.

Reaction score
I have a '50s Montgomery Ward "Sherwood Deluxe" and I've seen nearly the exact guitar labeled an Orpheum. I don't know if Premier was a MW thing, but I think Orpheum was. Cool guitars all the same.

Bobo

Reaction score
Guild Total
teleharmonium said:
The original bridges are usually poorly fitted wooden two piece affairs, but that's changed easily enough. I left the original on mine; I had a metal bridge added with new custom fitted wooden feet, but then it was too bright and sustaining for me. I went back to the kind of banjo-esque sound of the one it came with. It gives off nice harmonics, and the sound has a lot of personality.

Are the original bridges on these guitars floating, or fixed (screwed into the body)? The reason I ask is that this one on EBay looks to have a newer bridge has been pinned. If that's so, I would say the guitar has been devalued quite a bit.