How is the Music Business Crisis affecting working musicians

Aerie

Reaction score
Here we are at the start of 2010, and the economy ( be it a recession, or, a depression ) is still in the tank. That fact, coupled with the rise of studio quality home recording made possible by your MacBook Pro, and singles downloading at .99 a pop replacing the purchasing of CDs, has created a perfect storm that could mean the end of the music business as we know it. While I hear all the time that the computer has made it easier for starting musicians to build a following for countless reasons - I've no doubt that's true - at the same time, it has de-valued recorded music as a commodity to the point where it will soon be possible to have quite the following, and still be broke.

In a nutshell, over the course of a century, music has made the transition from being a service, to being a product, and now back to being a service. Songwriters, pre-Edison, could make a living writing songs with the sale of sheet music. In those days, musicians were paid to perform live only. They were service providers. When we use the term "The Music Business" today, however, we are really referring to a relatively short period from the invention of recorded sound ala Thomas Edison sometime around 1877 to date. With this invention recorded music became a product. Soon, the "Recording Star" was born. Well, just as when too much cash is injected into the economy its value decreases (inflation), There is now an inflation of recorded music causing a similar devaluation.

I remain positive and hopeful that, through creative thinking, we performing musicians can make the adjustment and, in time, survive. We need to look for niche areas not being filled. For example. If we accept that anyone with a lap-top and some reasonably good software can record their own music and distribute it, regardless of quality, without needing a recording contract, then we must consider things like: style, lyric content, is the music we hear even relevant anymore?, subject matter. Perhaps it is time to consider a return to the "Brill Building" model where the emphasis is songwriting quality. After all, regardless of the state of the recording business, the successful songwriters will be the ones who survive and thrive.

Consider honing your songwriting talents. Think about what kind of music you're NOT hearing. Use the old adage used by authors: "I couldn't find a single book on the subject, so, I wrote one." In a time when record labels are gone and music creation and recording is available to anyone with or without "talent". Quality and uniqueness will be the keys to success in this business of music.

Suggestions? Advice? Stories?

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
This summer was very difficult for us... I'm not interested in doing bars & taverns anymore so most of my gigs the last few years have been local festivals (every little town around here has one) that pay OK, private parties and weddings (pay well), corporate events (pay better) and some of the assisted living places (pay poorly in $ but a fortune in appreciation), and occasionally smaller trios or duos in restaurants (pay very little but are sometimes regular).

Most gigs are one-shot deals so you're always looking for the next job. Phone calls, sending demo material, following up, dealing with contracts, hauling, setting up and breaking down gear and on and on... it's a fair amount of work, usually for not much other than to be able to do the work we love to do. If a working musician is getting by, he or she is working hard.

I would say that at least 50-60% of our gigs have dried up. This summer we went from the 2-3 decent gigs a week the previous year (and turning some stuff down) to 2-3 a month and glad to get them.

Everybody seems to be cutting back. Even some of the events we used to do every year are either not happening at all or getting DJs (ugh). We often work with corporate party planners who are also hurting. When they get a corporate Christmas party and the budget is half of what it was last year they've got a problem. Caterers and venues are getting hit too. Some places find people who will play for free (good for them but not so hot for us), and other places have offered to hire us but for 50-60% of what we got last year.

Fortunately, I just took a modest early retirement so I've got some income, a loving wife and lots of good friends and good musicians to play music with. I'm a lucky guy! The upside of less gigs is having time to play what I want with who I want, but prospects for most working musicians around here at the moment are pretty grim.

Aerie

Reaction score
AlohaJoe said:
This summer was very difficult for us... I'm not interested in doing bars & taverns anymore so most of my gigs the last few years have been local festivals (every little town around here has one) that pay OK, private parties and weddings (pay well), corporate events (pay better) and some of the assisted living places (pay poorly in $ but a fortune in appreciation), and occasionally smaller trios or duos in restaurants (pay very little but are sometimes regular).

Most gigs are one-shot deals so you're always looking for the next job. Phone calls, sending demo material, following up, dealing with contracts, hauling, setting up and breaking down gear and on and on... it's a fair amount of work, usually for not much other than to be able to do the work we love to do. If a working musician is getting by, he or she is working hard.

I would say that at least 50-60% of our gigs have dried up. This summer we went from the 2-3 decent gigs a week the previous year (and turning some stuff down) to 2-3 a month and glad to get them.

Everybody seems to be cutting back. Even some of the events we used to do every year are either not happening at all or getting DJs (ugh). We often work with corporate party planners who are also hurting. When they get a corporate Christmas party and the budget is half of what it was last year they've got a problem. Caterers and venues are getting hit too. Some places find people who will play for free (good for them but not so hot for us), and other places have offered to hire us but for 50-60% of what we got last year.

Fortunately, I just took a modest early retirement so I've got some income, a loving wife and lots of good friends and good musicians to play music with. I'm a lucky guy! The upside of less gigs is having time to play what I want with who I want, but prospects for most working musicians around here at the moment are pretty grim.
What region are you working in?

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
Aerie said:
What region are you working in?
In the Seattle area, and I think things are much better here than in some other places.
- Joe W.