'60s Guild Masteramp

adam79

Reaction score
I came across a Guild Masteramp on craigsliat, and I'm a big fan of the small, all tube combos. I just sold my Guild Thunder 1 Twin, which I liked, but never really played it, so I sold it to someone that would use it. How does the Masteramp compare to the Thunder 1 Series (besides the lower wattage?

Thanks,
-Adam

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
adam79 said:
I came across a Guild Masteramp on craigsliat, and I'm a big fan of the small, all tube combos. I just sold my Guild Thunder 1 Twin, which I liked, but never really played it, so I sold it to someone that would use it. How does the Masteramp compare to the Thunder 1 Series (besides the lower wattage?
Hi Adam: I think there were at least two versions of the Masteramp; does it look like one of the amps in This Thread? If yes, right click on the pic, click Properties, and copy the address of the pic; bring it to this thread, open a pair of 'IMG' brackets and paste the info in. If your amp doesn't match one in the thread, do you have pics of it you could post? John

matsickma

Reaction score
There are a number of different Masteramp models from the early '50's. I don't have a accurate list but their are 12 inch speaker models and 15 in speaker models. Their are also models that have tweaters!

On of the area of confusion that happens with guild amps is that in the mid '50's they came out with a new set of amps (50J, 66J, 99J, 100J & 200S) and they used the left over Mastermap metal logo's on some of these early amps. So when identifing the amp look for molel markings on the chassis or inside the cabinet.

M

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Adam: Your amp looks like the amp that was in This eBay Auction and threaded On LTG Here. As the eBay seller suggested, some of the Guild amps from the period were made in Japan; based on its transformers and the appearance of other know MIJ models, this one was made in the US. According to the auction, the amp has two 12AX7s and a 12AB5; 12AB5 details here. According to the data sheet and depending on how much DC the power supply is putting out, about 3.5 - 4.5 watts. The 12AB5 looks to be a relative of the 6AQ5; same internal construction but the filament supply is 12VAC, not 6VAC. You can get some tone and gain variety by swapping 12AX7s in and out and a 12AT7 in V1 if you want less gain/more headroom.

The design is a recipe for a 'grind box' ... early soft, brown-toned, crunchy breakup ... not going to much clean headroom. If it's running and stabilized and you're willing to stick a little money in it, consider replacing that speaker with a Weber alnico Sig 8; about $35 plus shipping ... would be money well spent. Congratulations on your new amp. John

adam79

Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Hi Adam: Your amp looks like the amp that was in This eBay Auction and threaded On LTG Here.

The design is a recipe for a 'grind box' ... early soft, brown-toned, crunchy breakup ... not going to much clean headroom. If it's running and stabilized and you're willing to stick a little money in it, consider replacing that speaker with a Weber alnico Sig 8; about $35 plus shipping ... would be money well spent. Congratulations on your new amp. John

I haven't bought the amp. The other thread you mentioned might be talking about the same eBay amp I am, although I haven't looked at the thread. The seller is asking $399 for the amp, which sounds expensive, at least for my budget.. In terms of speaker replacement, from your description of the amp, it sounds like a G12M-25 Celestion Greenback would be the perfect speaker, if a 12" would fit in the chassis.

I'm looking for a nice clean sounding amp, not a "grind box;" My Peavey VTM-120 takes care of all my high gain needs. My other amp is a Music Man HD130 Reverb, which has some nice clean tones, great natural overdrive on the 1st channel and a nice, bluesy distortion on the 2nd channel. I'd probably be best off buying a Fender.

Thanks for the help,
-Adam

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
adam79 said:
... I haven't bought the amp ... I'm looking for a nice clean sounding amp, not a "grind box;"
Hi Adam; then keep looking ...and come up with some more money while you're at it.

If it's gotta be a Guild then a 66J might do it but they typically run $400 and up ... add another $100 or so and you can look at '60s Ampeg Jets, Geminis, and Reverberockets.