'53 Guild X-175

Reaction score
Finally I've got my hands on a Guild. So yes, I am a happy man.

Leiker

http://s480.photobucket.com/albums/rr163/Jan-Eirik/Leiker/?action=view&current=53GuildX-175.jpg

It is a '53 X-175. Most of the hardware is unoriginal, but a nice little player she is. She sounds good, but I have a slight feeling that she could do well with new pups. I don't know what type of pups she has now, but do any of you have a suggestion for some really good ones I could look for?

Edit: The pic didn't show so I've put in a link as well.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Gullix said:
Finally I've got my hands on a Guild. So yes, I am a happy man.

Hello Gullix,

Glad to hear you're happy with your Guild but I hate to be the one to bring the 'bad' news.
The Guild X-175 you just bought could probably be made into a good player, so I hope this doesn't spoil it for you. Your guitar was for sale not too long ago. It was a very nice original guitar that needed a few cosmetic repairs but other than that it was completely functional. Unfortunately it was bought by a 'professional' who robbed the guitar of all it's valuable and 'hard to find' parts and sold those separately on eBay for a lot of money. All the 'replacement' parts that are on it now are generic or cheap aftermarket pieces that he probably had lying around. I don't have the slightest idea what the pickups are but they are probably cheap copy P-90s from the Far East.

Unfortunately, there is not a lot we can do about this seller's usual practice of butchering completely fine and original guitars, since he is not doing anything that's against the law.

Hope you will find some good pickups for your guitar and that you will still be able to enjoy it for the purpose that it was originally built for.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Hans.

I suspected that this could be the story of this guitar. So I am not so very disappointed because of it. But it is really nice of you to point it out to me so that I KNOW it is a fact. Thanks.

But if anyone could give me a hint of what to look for when it comes to replacement-pups I would be glad. The "older" they sound, the better.

And I love playing her. Even if she is a bastard she still gives me that gooood feeling. So I think she stays here. :)

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
Gullix, I just bumped into this one from last month...and WOW. What a great looking guitar! :oops: Sorry to hear that about the parts being removed and traded off , the DIRTY BUGGER!!!!!.....you sure took it well, AND in the end you are STILL happy.....THATS THE WAY!!!! Dont let that get in the way of your having fun with that beauty. I bet you CAN find all those parts again anyway. I think that THAT guitar is beautiful! I like that 'tobacco' sort spraying, and she seems to have a great vibe to be enjoyed. I like it! Great that you do too! shes a beauty! Seems like shes in the right hands there with you. ENJOY. :D Southern

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just on looks, the guitar has a great vintage vibe. Really classic early Guild.

Dave

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. :)

She is to the doctor now getting installed a fifties Bigsby and a new set of pups. Fralins with a -15% neck pu. Hope that gives me what I'm looking for.

The originality of this guitar is long gone long, but to make her a damn good player shouldn't be impossible. But I am inflicted by the disease so who knows? Maybe I'll get her closer to original some time in the future.

Time will show. Now I just look forward to getting her back.

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
:D CHEERS to THAT!!! That guitar is surely in the right hands! and yes....one Guild leads to another. I can toast to it with my LAST remaining bottle of GLOGG! but its TOO HOT down here for THAT.............Ill toast to your next Guild this winter!
Enjoy that little Beauty!
Ps ....Gullix, are you happy with her acoustic tone? Thanks to a friend loaning me an old German HOYER archtop,( all acoustic, maple, 1960) .....Im developing a craving for an ARCHTOP Guild! X170s look great to me. Acoustically? what do you think? Cheers, Southern :wink:

Reaction score
I have not played too many other old Guilds so I should not by any means be considered an expert. But I have played a '55 X-500 and a '62 x-175. The X-500 has a smooth almost jazzy tone and the X-175 has a more sparkly, twangy tone. I like them both a lot, but I have to admit that the X-175's aggressive tone appeals to me more. My own X-175 is somewhere in between the two described.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Gullix said:
I have not played too many other old Guilds so I should not by any means be considered an expert. But I have played a '55 X-500 and a '62 x-175. The X-500 has a smooth almost jazzy tone and the X-175 has a more sparkly, twangy tone. I like them both a lot, but I have to admit that the X-175's aggressive tone appeals to me more. My own X-175 is somewhere in between the two described.
WELCOME ABOARD! You should be able to get that guitar to where you want it to be from here. There are many follks who share their knowledge of what parts are available. Also I think Hans would be able to make suggestions, he may even have some pieces. You already have the most important part of the guitar!

gusto

Reaction score
i almost bought that guitar, its a beauty. i have fralins with -15% less wind in my x500t and there the best p90 i've ever played.

Reaction score
Walter Broes said:
Hey Gullix - are you "the twang gang"'s bassplayer? (from somewhere around Bergen, Norway?)

Correct, Walter. Nice to meet you again. It was a joy for us to share the stage with your band.

Reaction score
adorshki said:
WELCOME ABOARD! You should be able to get that guitar to where you want it to be from here. There are many follks who share their knowledge of what parts are available. Also I think Hans would be able to make suggestions, he may even have some pieces. You already have the most important part of the guitar!

Thanks. I guess this is the right place to be when it comes to getting old Guilds back into shape. :)