For the experts: Guild JF4-12 // Ted Beesley

wileypickett

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I recently acquired a 1993 JF4-12NT. The serial # is LA 000140 -- just curious what is known about this model, when it was introduced, when discontinued, and what previous 12-string model it's equivalent to, if any.

It's a jumbo, with a solid spruce top, mahogany back and sides, satin finish, the headstock logo is stenciled or screened on, the back is not braced, a la the JF-30.

It seems like one of Guild's lower-on-the-food chain models -- no fancy inlay to speak of, minimal binding -- but it does have Grover mini-rotomatics, which appear original.

Also, one other question, what became of Ted Beesley, the author of the first Guild book? Has he ever turned up on LTG?

Thanks!
Glenn//.

12stringer

Reaction score
I am no expert, but I believe that series of guitars was from the early 90's.. low bling mostly natural finishes based on D25, D40 and in the case of your guitar a F212XL with an arched back to boot. I haven't heard your model but it must sound great as both arch back 12ers and jumbo mahogany's have a great sound. Westerly made too!
Here is an advertisement with a 6 string version of your guitar
GuildD4Advert.jpg

I am sure someone more knowledgable than me will come along to giveyou some more info.
Hope this helps. :wink:

wileypickett

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your response, "12-stringer" -- I really appreciate you posting the original ad!

Yep, as you note, it seems a well-made guitar -- despite the lack of bling. Like the JF-30, the unbraced back is arched / bowled (which I thought Guild only did for their maple models) which should aid the projection.

And it's in lovely shape; the action is low, the neck straight, there's nothing major in terms of cosmetics -- a couple little dings -- appears to have been well taken care of.

Anyway, I'll report on it once I've had it set up, tweaked, restrung and Bridge Doctored!

Cheers!
Glenn//.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Glenn,

I think that's a really neat choice you made there for a 12er. Good job!

I don't think there are too many of these around. It's probably most similar to an F-212XL, although the arched back probably makes it sound different (I think the F-212XL was solid, flat??)...

Anyway, congrats. BTW, I don't know what the situation is/was with Ted Beesley.

12stringer

Reaction score
Hey Glenn
I am confident you will love the sound of that guitar...arched mahogany has just got to sound great!
Looking forward to your report once it is set up.
Happy Pickin! :wink:
Randy

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
wileypickett said:
Thanks for your response, "12-stringer" -- I really appreciate you posting the original ad!

Yep, as you note, it seems a well-made guitar -- despite the lack of bling. Like the JF-30, the unbraced back is arched / bowled (which I thought Guild only did for their maple models) which should aid the projection.

And it's in lovely shape; the action is low, the neck straight, there's nothing major in terms of cosmetics -- a couple little dings -- appears to have been well taken care of.

Anyway, I'll report on it once I've had it set up, tweaked, restrung and Bridge Doctored!

Cheers!
Glenn//.

Re: arched backs. I'm no expert, either, but I have seen a lot of D-25s with the arched back. These are mostly mahogany. I'd guess that there are even more. Guild made a lot of variations on their successful themes.

It looks like you have a really nice guitar, there. I'm in a long-term hunt for a nice 12-string. Not sure which model I want, just yet.

Dave