Bridges for bigsbys: Which do you prefer?

MrBoZiffer

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide if I want to put a bigsby on my '53 X-175 or not. I kind of hate messing with it because it sounds so good as it is, but a bigsby would be great on it. This thread is pretty helpful since I've never changed out a bridge before. Actually, I probably won't change this one. I'll let my local tech do it.

However, I am curious to know if anyone has ever used one of the old Guild wooden bridges with a bigsby. Mine has one of the straight ones...

IMG_0150.jpg

I can't imagine these work well with a bigsby, but maybe they do. I did used to have a '58 T-100 with a B3 and a compensated wood bridge. It seemed to play pretty well. However the nickel rocker bridge on my CE-100 is much smoother. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way, this particular guitar has a trapeze on it, but it's obviously not original. It looks like it had a Kluson at one point.

IMG_0151.jpg

Like I said, this is a job for my tech, but before I talk to him about it I probably need to know what I'm getting myself into. I really like the wood look and sound, so I'd like to keep a wood base at least. But if I can keep the original bridge, all the better.

Also, how hard would it be to age a new bigsby? I usually don't like the idea of relics and aging, but in this case I would probably be willing to do it. I'd probably have a hard time finding an old bigsby that's affordable.

So what do ya'll think??? :)

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I just bought a Setzer Gretsch and the damn bridge is 12" while the board is 9.5" I knew that going in though.

I have a Compton ordered, and am trying to order a truarc as well. I'll report on them both when I get them.

parker_knoll

Reaction score
GAD

I'm back on the bridge question and wondered what was your conclusion on the Compton Vs Tru-Arc debate?

Actually thinking of dropping one on a Ric 330 which i have added a trem to.

Toby

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
parker_knoll said:
GAD

I'm back on the bridge question and wondered what was your conclusion on the Compton Vs Tru-Arc debate?

Actually thinking of dropping one on a Ric 330 which i have added a trem to.

Toby

I've had both and greatly prefer the Compton. The TruArc looks cooler on a Gretsch, but I liked the tone and clarity of the Compton more.

Jahn

Reaction score
i had good luck with the brass tru-arc on my gretsch country gent, so i'm going with an aluminum tru-arc for my starfire VI. the bigsby compensated on there right now gets the job done, but why not, right?

parker_knoll

Reaction score
I'll buy your bigsby if you don't want it :)

looks like I'm going to have to go two stage for this Ric and get a bowtie or Tele-style Bigsby bridge then get a compton to go on top of it