Guild JF-30 12-String, 1989, Limited Edition, Blue

wileypickett

Reaction score
Fellow LTGers,

Just acquired the above yesterday, via a local craigslist ad. Got it for cheap. Seems in really good shape -- appears not have been touched in a decade. (The D'Addario string package was still in the case compartment -- the company hasn't used this packaging since the early '90s!)

It'll need a set up, and the saddle shaved, but otherwise -- really nice!

I'd like to find out more about it. I did a search of the LTG site ("limited edition") and Googled it as well, but I'm striking out.

The guitar is different from other JF-30s I have, or have seen, only in that it is a deep navy blue color instead of natural or sunburst (top, back, sides, neck -- everything is navy except the front of the headstock) and has "Limited Edition" engraved on the truss rod cover.

It's dated on the end-block February 2 (or "9" -- number is faint), 1989.

What can you experts out there tell us?

Thanks and cheers!
Glenn//.

(Pictures to come.)

wileypickett

Reaction score
Hello Charlie,

Being in-state (Massachusetts, right?), I'd wondered if you'd come across the ad yourself! It wasn't up long -- I was first to respond as it turned out, and the price was too embarrassingly low to pass up.

Is yours a limited edition?

Can't find any info online as to how "limited" these were, how long they were offered for sale, etc. It seems to me there was a greener-than-green six-string on eBay not too long ago. Don't recall if that was an LTD, but it was an unusucal color, as is this -- though not as ghastly, IMHO!

Cheers!
Glenn//.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No, hadn't seen it, Glenn.

Got any pictures to show?

I don't have any "limited" designation on mine, Glenn. Mine was built in 1994, and is natural colored. Visually, the most striking thing about mine is the tiger-stripe neck. Quite lovely.

Maybe as a 1989 this could be the initial issue of the JF-30-12. I don't know. I think that's pretty early in the model run if not the initial year. I'd imagine the "limited" refers to the coloring. Just guessing though.

Best wishes. I hope it turns out to be a keeper for you after it's properly set up. If nothing else, it should sound very different from the rosewood dreads. :)

krcrisp

Reaction score
I ran across this OLD thread but wanted to add my 2 cents worth. My understanding is that these were made in three colors, for the Guitar Center, as part of some kind of anniversary celebration. Green (which I have never seen) red (which I have seen, but only on a JF-30-12) and bright blue. I can't remember if I heard this from sales or not.

After a burglary in 1990, I went to get my first decent 6 string at Guitar Center. I took along my five year old daughter, which some thought explained how I ended up with a blue JF-30. Actually I tried a number of nice guitars including several Martins and I just thought this one sounded the best. They no longer had green or red ones, and from the wear on the back of the headstock, I think my blue one had been hanging there and test driven more than a few times. I've always had a fondness for jumbos.

It does have "limited" in white on the truss rod cover, and had a factory installed early Fishman pickup which I think was the model AP-1 or something like that. It is still an excellent sounding pickup, with through-body bass and treble and volume controls, all accomplished with two knobs.

krcrisp

Reaction score
Let me just add that mine certainly isn't anywhere close to navy blue. Must brighter, more like a blue magic marker.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I wish some photos of this had ever happened. Maybe they did in another post.
Yep, I can recall seeing one before, it's legit, not sure if it's the same series that krcrisp describes but it would make a lot of sense, ties right in with all the other "specials" they did for Guitar Center.

Ask and ye shall receive:
156140928_guild-jf30---12-string-in-super-rare-blue---westerly-.jpg

Now, when it comes to "greener than green" acoustics, I always think of those Emerald Green F65ce's:

he14p4tmdperofswj0xb.jpg

Ooohhh...that one's a lefty!
I'll bet a buck that's one of the rarest Guild's we'll ever see, a true one of one: the only green lefty F65ce ever made.
:biggrin-new:

Last edited:

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Gibson did this to a bunch of guitars in the early 90's also, "trans red", trans green, trans blue, etc. I'd have to fall into one by accident, and then maybe... maybe I'd fall in love with it?

Now maybe spalted in an OD Green?

I could go that that!

Maybe...

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Of course, the best version is the original featuring the plaintive vocal lyrics:

:playful:

I have always adored that song. The French presents a completely different meaning, not despondent in any way. In fact, it is quite an uplifting song, where "blue" is beautiful, like the "sky which plays in your eyes". Here is my attempt to translate what Vicky sang:

Soft, soft, love is soft
Soft is my life, my life in your arms
Soft, soft, love is soft
Soft is my life, my life next to you

Blue, blue, love is blue
Cradle my heart, my loving heart
Blue, blue, love is blue
Blue like the sky which play in your eyes

Like the water, like the running water
Me, my heart runs after your love

Grey, grey, love is grey
My heart weeps since you went away
Grey, grey, the sky is grey
The rain falls when you're not there anymore

The wind, the wind moans
The wind weeps since you went away
The wind, the cursed wind
My heart weeps when you're not there anymore

Blue, blue, love is blue
The sky is blue when you return
Blue, blue, love is blue
Love is blue when you take my hand

Mad, mad, love is mad
Mad like you and mad like me
Blue, blue, love is blue
Love is blue when I am yours

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I have always adored that song.
Me too.
So much that I have a chart for the Claudine Longet English version, but I appreciate your translation.
So much that I'd like to take it home and try to re-arrange it slightly for rhyme and use those lyrics instead.
Did they really write the best easy-listening pop in the '60's or are we just jaded by having been there?:
"Call Me" Chris Montez
"I Say A Little Prayer For You" Dionne Warwick
"Don't Sleep in the Subway" Petula Clark
"To Sir With Love" Lulu
"Windy" The Association
"Mercy Mercy Mercy" The Buckinghams--with bonus points for the first person who can id the author and why we should care.
All of which would no doubt sound wonderful arranged for solo 12-string with vocals.
This has been another presentation of Al's Nostalgia Network.
:friendly_wink:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here is my attempt to translate what Vicky sang:

Soft, soft, love is soft
Soft is my life, my life in your arms
Soft, soft, love is soft
Soft is my life, my life next to you

Blue, blue, love is blue
Cradle my heart, my loving heart
Blue, blue, love is blue
Blue like the sky which play in your eyes

Grey, grey, love is grey
My heart weeps since you went away
Grey, grey, the sky is grey
The rain falls when you're not there anymore

The wind, the wind moans
The wind weeps since you went away
The wind, the cursed wind
My heart weeps when you're not there anymore

Blue, blue, love is blue
The sky is blue when you return
Blue, blue, love is blue
Love is blue when you take my hand

Mad, mad, love is mad
Mad like you and mad like me
Blue, blue, love is blue

Wow! I appreciate the translation. Yes, the song uses a meaning of "blue" that's different from its more common meaning.