Footswitch

matsickma

Reaction score
It sure looks origional. I just forgot about that detail. It was one of those subtle itms that you wouldn't normally focus on. Foot switch are not typically known for there aestetics.

M

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
dapmdave said:
... original?... No one really knows what it's supposed to look like, and it's made of wood and a switch, with 10 feet of lamp cord and a phone plug. I can even imagine recreating the "Guild" (rub-off lettering under some poly?) although the 2-button version doesn't seem to have a logo at all.
Hi Dave; sorry you missed it but, were I looking for one and had a choice between making one from scratch, buying something that doesn't seem to exist and nobody is exactly sure what it looks like, and this switch, I'da bought this one. You could always say: 'This is my vintage Guild 66J and a footswitch marked 'Guild' :wink: ... would work until a bona fide switch showed up. Too bad; despite the coincidence that this popped right after this thread, at best, these are once-a-year-on-eBay .... if that.

I have ordered a basic aluminum 1-button footswitch. For twenty bucks it'll get me by until I can locate something original, or a reasonable facsimile thereof.

Dave

hideglue

Reaction score
3857259057_9d9207c76c.jpg

Default, PM sent...

knavel

Reaction score
matsickma said:
Guild phased out the wooden foot switches at the start of the Thunder amp series (circa 1965). Prior to that they were hard wood with a fixed cord and full rubber anti skid bottom. I have seen three styles: Two stomp switches for Reverb + Tremelo (98RT AMP) with fixed point wiring to the amp, a plugin Single Stomp switch + cord w/phono plug, assumed for Tremelo but not marked (66J, 99J, 100J, 200S) and a mini "doorstop size" Single Stomp switch, assumed for Tremelo but not marked (20RT, 40T, 50J) where the 20RT was hard wired to the Reverb/Tremelo converter amp and the switch only activated the Reverb-tremelo was a rocker switch. The dual stomp switch pedal of the 98RT was around a 5 inch square with a rise of about 2 inches. The single stomp switch was around 6 in x 3 in and a 2 inch rise. The mini switch was around 2 in x 4 inch x 1 in rise (all my numbers are estimates. I never measured these pedels and have long since sold the amps with pedals they came with).
I am not sure what wood was used for these pedals but it could have been mahogany.

Hi all. New guy here. Till today the only thing I thought I had from Guild was my F-512 acoustic.

I am reviving this 2 year old thread because it's the closest on topic I could find in terms of confirmation of whether a wooden footswitch I found in my parts box is a Guild one. If it is I would like to let people see one as it appears that images of them are quite difficult to come by.

What made me think "Guild" was that the footswitch has faint remnants of a Guild waterstickon the front. See the pics. Did Guild put that there or was it just a kid having fun with a sticker?

Here's why I thought it was a Guild.

Any thoughts on this one? Thanks for your views.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Knavel; well ... never say never with Guild but I don't think that's an original Guild wood footswitch. The first pic is the back of a Guild 200S stereo amp including its footswitch:

1680645222463.png

Closeup of the fs showing the flute running around the top where it meets the sides. Your switch only has a slight radius on the top edges:

1680645265620.png

If you ever find yourself on a rainy Saturday afternoon, Minwax makes a 'Bombay Mahogany' finish that's pretty much a dead on color match. If you sand that switch down, you'll take out some of the grain filler but you'd be left with something like this:

1680645257167.png

Thanks for thinking of your fellow LTGers ... the original Guild footswitches are beyond rare. Just a guess but maybe that switch came from a Magnatone .. Sano ... early Gretsch? :?

Last edited by a moderator:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I did say never say never .... Here's a pic of a member's 100J. I tried blowing up the fs and it looked like there was a suggestion of a flute on it but ... who knows:

1680645289711.png

Last edited by a moderator:

knavel

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional photos and feedback.

From the shots you posted, I would think that mine is quite in ballpark and not the other way around as you suggest.

Also, do any of the others have the "Guild" sticker on the front like mine? The presence of this sticker merits at least some consideration, even if, as mentioned, it was just something a kid stuck on there in the 70s.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't know, it looks like it might be original to me. Maybe the guy that routed the "flutes" was out sick that day! :lol:

I have some catalog photos showing some different footswitches, maybe I can get a chance to scan and post them tonight.

Stay tuned...

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi knavel ... I saw the blob decal remnant but didn't read it as 'Guild'.

I don't have any other suggestion what it might be but was mostly looking for the flutes.

Yours may pre-date the 200S .... or not.

knavel

Reaction score
Apologies, as the smudge sticker is sideways. For love or money I can't seem to get Flickr to change the perspective.

To me it looked like a more rare Guild logo with the lower case "G" that you have kindly given us a photo of on your reference post of Guild amps, the second one under your Model 40 designation.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5831

I didn't even know Guild ever made amps until trying to figure out where this footswitch came from. Some of them look fantastic! Would love to hear any of them!!!

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's what I have from the Guild catalogs to further the foot switch discussion.

This is the earliest style from one of the first Guild catalogs;

img161.jpg

Although it's an earlier model, to me it appears to have the same "Guild" decal that knavel's has/had.

The next catalog I have shows the single and double foot switches with the Amps;

img163.jpg

Then on the same page they have the foot switches listed separately;

img162.jpg

Now, you'll notice that there are two models listed. The question is is the "Model 20" the double and the "Model 21 Junior" the single? Or, are they both singles since they are "Tremolo" (only?) switches and the "Model 20" is the one pictured with the routed flutes and the "Model 21 Junior" a cheaper version without the routed flutes like knavel's? Both of these have the later "script" Guild logo;

guild_script_logo.jpg

So, can we surmize that knavel's precedes these because of the earlier logo. Then, is there a chance that his might be the "Model 21 Junior"?

I have mine packed away somewhere, maybe I'll see if I can dig it up to see what it looks like.

knavel

Reaction score
GoG,

many thanks. I think your catalog reference having the same Guild logo as my switch cinches it--even if we can never be 100% sure exactly which footswitch model I have. That's less important to me--I just wanted to be able to say in good faith if I ever stick it on Ebay that it is indeed a Guild Footswitch.

I would finally point out that I don't think mine is the "junior" model since we are told "junior" means smaller. In Matsickma's post from 2 years ago that I originally quoted, he talks about "The single stomp switch was around 6 in x 3 in and a 2 inch rise." Those are basically the dimensions of mine, and that's the largest size he discussed of any footswitch. Hence, this would seem inconsistent with the "junior" association.

I am completely speculating but I would think that the presence or lack of presence of fluting is of secondary importance. That could have easily been an added (or subtracted feature). Mine looks just like the one in the catalog, presumably model 20.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I found the "Junior" foot switch!

I dug mine out today and snapped a couple of shots of it.

Picture032.jpg

It's only 4 5/8" long x 1 11/16" wide x 1 1/8" at the highest point. This is much smaller then the matsickma dimensions. It looks the same proportionally as the one pictured with the RC-20 Converter!

I was wrong about the Guild "script" logo. It's stamped into the wood and it's of a more "roman" font.

Picture040.jpg

Because of your earlier style Guild decal, I'm guessing your foot switch was from between those pictured and of the later style, but before they started routing the edges.

knavel

Reaction score
The Guilds of Grot said:
Because of your earlier style Guild decal, I'm guessing your foot switch was from between those pictured and of the later style, but before they started routing the edges.

I agree that mine is the model 20 in some earlier iteration than the catalog samples you have show. It's very typical for catalogs not to catalog every minute development so no surprises there.

Thanks so much for taking the time to put in the photos and the catalog pages.

Like I mentioned, I didn't know that Guild did amps in the 50s / 60s. I'd love to hear something that my footswitch would plug into. Gotta resist the GAS impulses....

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi Dave,

Similar to this type?

3857259057_9d9207c76c.jpg

Dug this one out of the basement. It's certainly showing its age,
and there's no cord or backplate (only the original footswitches),
-- from the Westerly factory--
Do you still have this footswitch?

matsickma

Reaction score
Wow! A long lost picture of my two tone J100 with wooden foot pedal!
Haven't seen a picture of that amp for years!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230311-000256-812.png
    Screenshot_20230311-000256-812.png
    1 MB · Views: 79