Last Westerly Guitar

LastAAowner

Reaction score
This is my first posting. I hope everything works out so that the pix come through. I've been a member since April and I've read several messages from people wondering what happened to the last guitar produced in Westerly. Wonder no longer- I own it. I am the second owner and purchased it from the original owner here in Minneapolis. It is an exquisite honey blonde Benedetto Artist Award. I have owned and collected many archtops over the last 35 years and this ranks near the top of the list. The tone is warm and wonderful and only the very best woods were used. It was accompanied by a letter of authenticy which includs the names of the craftsmen who built it. The letter remains in an unopened envelope. Luckily I am able to read it clearly when I hold it up to the light. I've tried to capture the essence of this in the attached photos. I am also including a photo of an exact transcription of the letter for all to read. I hope this is as cool for you as it is for me. If I am unsuccessful in attempt to attach the photos using Image Shack, I will try again. Any advice will be appreciated. Oh, and I do have a copy of four of the Westrley employees showing their gratitude to Guild for closing the plant using a single digit

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hans would like a copy of the four employees for his book. :lol: :shock:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to LTG.

That's an exquisite AA. Congrats. Indeed that is very cool. Some of the ex-Westerly employees will probably see this and chime in.

Do you have other Guilds?

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG, LAAO.
Interesting to have a beautiful hunk of Guild history to make music with. Wish I could read the letter a little better. Beautiful AA!

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
welcome LAAO and congrats to this beautiful guitar.
btw: any audio files? 8)

workedinwesterly

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
chazmo

no, i didn't work on that one...i worked with Bob on the design changes and tooling.

i was out on the floor when they took 'the picture'....so you're saved from having to see my frightening countenance.

that model was greatly improved by Bob, the primary changes were a thinner body...new carving patterns for the top and back, an X-braced top, different pickguard and binding package, slimmer headstock, different pickup.

We all thought that it would be an appropriate final instrument for that grand old company !

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
workedinwesterly said:
chazmo

no, i didn't work on that one...i worked with Bob on the design changes and tooling.

i was out on the floor when they took 'the picture'....so you're saved from having to see my frightening countenance.

that model was greatly improved by Bob, the primary changes were a thinner body...new carving patterns for the top and back, an X-braced top, different pickguard and binding package, slimmer headstock, different pickup.

We all thought that it would be an appropriate final instrument for that grand old company !
It's absolutely exquisite. Simple, clean, and I'm sure it's a monster. Nice job! Our new member certainly got a gem of an AA here.

LastAAowner

Reaction score
Here is the transcription of the letter from Guild.

Guild Guitars, A Division of FMIC
60 Industrial Drive, Westerly RI 02891 U.S.A.
Phone (401) 596-0141-Fax(401)596-0436

Congratulations!

You are now the proud owner of this Artist Award Benedetto, the last Guild Guitar to roll off the production line at Guild Guitars in Westerly, Rhode Island prior to the facility’s permanent closing on August 31, 2001.

Established in 1952, Guild Guitars has been producing the Artist Award Benedetto since Spring 2000. The most experienced and skilled craftsmen are chosen to work on the Artist Award.

The Artist Award is Guild’s traditional flagship arch top guitar. Updated and refined by luthier Bob Benedetto, it’s an acoustic instrument built of the finest materials. A carved European spruce top, solid European maple back and sides, a five piece maple neck with a select ebony fret board and distinctive inlays of natural abalone and mother of pearl make the Artist Award a work of art to both ear and eye.

A Benedetto-designed floating pickup allows the Artist Award to be amplified without interfering with the true acoustic nature of this masterpiece.

We at the Guild facility hope you will continue to enjoy the experience of owning and playing this one of a kind, beautifully hand crafted honey blonde Artist Award Benedetto as much a the experience of creating this fine instrument was enjoyed by the craftsmen involved.

Accredidations;

Neck Assembly-James Linden
Body Assembly-Jose Cabral
Neck Fitting-Jeffrey Tougas
Finishing-Joseph Fusaro
Buffing-Paul Bishop
Hardware Assembly-Christian Palmisano and Richard Monaghen

Serial Number-GBB1088

For more information on the Artist Award Benedetto and other Guild Guitar products, please visit our website at http://www.guildguitars.com

hideglue

Reaction score
lastguild.jpg

LastAAowner

Reaction score
I treally does not get any better than this. Chazmo was right. The guitar was completely redesigned by Benedetto. There is nothing left of the original Artist Award other than the headstock and tail piece. I've been playing Gibsons, primarily the Johnny Smith and its derivatives the Citation and Legrand, for so many years that now my entire world perspective has been turned upside down. In fact, I haven't opened another guitar case since acquiring the AA.

It is truly a shame that Fender has dropped the AA from it's product line. The Benedetto connection went bye-bye and Johnny Smith along with it.

Thanks to Hideglue for the setup photo. I would very much welcome any other piece of provenance that might be out there.