just played a '79 Dumble Overdrive....

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
...wow, awesome. it is really a hell of an amp: THE sweet spot for guitartone. played it with a 10.000 $ epiphone sheraton -don't know which year- which was absolutely fantastic, too.

If now I only had 20.000 US$ somewhere...

seriously a great amp, but much too expensive, as I mentioned in the other dumble thread.
for max. 3000-4000 $ you can definately get the same or even better quality without the dumble logo. :)

But it was a great experience, especially because it was one of the early ones :!:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Michael; congratulations! Where did you play it; music store? There are several BBs and Forums where these amps are worshipped and members spend much time and energy cloning them. A big big money amp ! John

krysh

Reaction score
Guild Total
hey john,

one of our "big" musicstores got a cool vintage department, and since I know most of the guys.... :wink:
bigbig money - but bigbig sound.
it is easy to sound like larry carlton or robben ford with one of these though :twisted:

- not that I can play this good. :oops:

krysh

Reaction score
Guild Total
here are pictures of this model:
ods3.jpg

rods3.jpg

a 50 watts overdrive special combo.
the one I played had a wooden housing with some cosmetical issues and the original switch and altec 12" speaker.

edit: found more suitable pics.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Remarkable that something so simple-looking could cost so much money .. :( :? I'm going to buy one ... right after I get my $125,000 Les Paul .... and my $50,000 ES335 ... amazing stuff!

krysh

Reaction score
Guild Total
capnjuan said:
Remarkable that something so simple-looking could cost so much money .. :( :? I'm going to buy one ... right after I get my $125,000 Les Paul .... and my $50,000 ES335 ... amazing stuff!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It is a lot about brand and hyped names but in case of this dumble, it is truly a great amp that is hard to find - for a special price and purpose.

this evening I checked -still with the dumblesound (tone?) in my ears- intensively my own guitar rig again:
-koch pedaltone all tube preamp
-digitech tsr-24s studio fx-
-custom built (based on an old sound city 120 watts poweramp with fat partridge tansformers) all tube 103 watts poweramp
-1 x 15" eminence legend custom cabinet.

what should I say, I still love what I hear especially with my crossroads.

the only thing I can not achieve this well is the sweet spot of the dumble where the tone breaks into this unbelievable overdrive, so dynamically and sensitively I never heard an amp react so sensible to my picking before.

but I am close enough for my purpose (it is even better, so you won't hear my mistakes this good :wink: )
especially if you keep in mind that I only paid about a tenth of the money they demand for this old and used 20.000 US$ dumble
(ok, I was lucky, new it would have been around 4000 US$)

next week I'll be able to check a Fuchs 100 watts overdrive supreme (the "so-called-son-of-dumble").
I'll report my experience.

guitarslinger

Reaction score
Howard Dumble actually came from my neck of the woods here in central California. Interesting guy. My favorite player, Robin Ford, plays a Dumble. Rumor has that he now only builds for friends and those with a recording contract. I've also heard that he builds all sorts of "traps" and "tells" into his stuff to keep anyone from learning his "secrets".

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi 'Slinger; I guess he would ... considering the prices, for no other reason tham to be able to authenticate his own products. When you think of all the money that goes into faux designer stuff like ladies' handbags, there has to more money in 'forging' Dumbles than homebrewing them: "... dig my DIY amp ... sounds just like a Dumble..." ... yeah ... right! :wink:

krysh

Reaction score
Guild Total
the sad thing is,

that he only got a small part of the money that is paid for his amps today.
remember that he sold his amps for around 2000-3500 $. now they sometimes sell for 40.000 $
guitar amp gurus often really have bad luck economically spoken.
also the guy who has built my poweramp. a true genius, but an economical desaster.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, krysh. That's quite the opportunity! I bet players would pay for tickets for a chance to play through a Dumble!

krysh

Reaction score
Guild Total
jp said:
Wow, krysh. That's quite the opportunity! I bet players would pay for tickets for a chance to play through a Dumble!

I was lucky jp, only had to buy 4 pics :mrgreen:
it really is something to remember.

but if you try a ceriatone hrm you'll get real close to the dumble for around 1500 $.
check youtube.

krysh

Reaction score
Guild Total
update:
today I had the opportunity to check this, for the evening:
Fuchs Overdrive Supreme 100W Head with Fuchs 2 x 12" Celestion anniversary something
with my starfire 4 and my crossroads.

Still with the Dumble sound in the ear I could make an almost direct comparism.
The Fuchs just blow me away. simply awesome. great dynamics more versatile and simply great overdrive sound.
The clean sound has the same quality as the dumble only the "sweet spot" is not so superdumble, but the rest?
I know my next amp for a smaller part of the dumble-price-tag.
Try one of those if you have the possibility!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
capnjuan said:
Dumble Overdrive Special on eBay. Jacks or better to open: $44,000 MIN :shock: :shock: Down in MyAmA ... if anyone wants me to go and demo it for them ...
I have a tough time imagining paying that kind of money for a vehicle, let alone an amp. I guess if you are a professional, pulling in six figures playing, it might make sense, but way out of my league...

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
capnjuan said:
Dumble Overdrive Special on eBay. Jacks or better to open: $44,000 MIN :shock: :shock: Down in MyAmA ... if anyone wants me to go and demo it for them ...
I have a tough time imagining paying that kind of money for a vehicle, let alone an amp. I guess if you are a professional, pulling in six figures playing, it might make sense, but way out of my league...
More on Dumbles from Wiki which reports fewer than 300 Dumbles of the several types out there. The article also lists several makes that are loosely based on Dumble designs. At any given time, dozens of these 'clones' are for sale on The Gear Page .... and they don't cost as much. :roll:

krysh

Reaction score
Guild Total
lieber johannes,

if you have the possibility, do yourself a favour and check it out, it should sound awesome.
not worth spending the money but worth having played it once - and you know how they sound.

:wink:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Selbstverständlich möchte ich es ausprobieren aber ich müsste die Vorspiegelung machen, ein ernster Käufer zu sein. Können Sie sich vorstellen, wie viele Rufen den Eigentümer für Leute, die wollen, ‚erhalten wird, die Reifen zu treten‘?

Leute kaufen diese für die gleichen Gründe die Kronprinzen an vorbeigehen Ihnen an 180 km auf der deutschen Autobahn... sie machen es, weil sie können.

I would rather have a Carr Vincent :wink:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
How the other half ..... of one percent lives ... they've been listed as high as $75,000 BIN.