Good tuneamatic type bridge for X-170?

rhcole

Reaction score
In my intro post, I show my cool black X-170 with a tuneamatic type bridge. It was a failed experiment, though because it didn't fit the bottom support properly and was loose. I've experimented with a couple of others but haven't had success. I like the idea of being able to swap bridges back and forth, the metal bridge gave it a more puchy sound. Can anybody suggest a bridge that would work well with the X-170?

dklsplace

Reaction score
If I read this right, the main issue is the TOM being loose on the base? Which means you're trying to use the original Guild base? If that's the case, you won't find a "good" fit with many aftermarket TOMs due to the post spacings. The simple fix is to swap the bridge & base at the same time. Once you get a newer base fitted to the guitar top, you can swap bridges all you like. I've used a Gotoh Nashville style TOM with both rosewood & ebony bases on several of my Guilds with great success!

rhcole

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried a Gibson with replacement base, but the Gib was too high off of the body. The action was way too high, even in the lowest setting. I looked up the Gotoh, but only see the bridge without the base so far.

Looks like I need a bridge with a very narrow bottom that can then be adjusted up as needed.

dbirchett

Reaction score
Here is a thread that considered the same issue a couple of years ago: http://letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=291

As you have discovered, the spacing of the guild bridge base posts doesn't lend itself to other bridges. Aftermarket bridges tend to elevate the strings too high.

I used a tuneamatic I think from guitar fetish or StewMac and really sanded the heck off of the legs to contour it for my X-170. I am fairly pleased with the result but am considering using a Gretsch bar bridge instead.

Hopefully the above thread will help.