My Blem CV-1 Arrived - Trainwreck Neck

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi cuthbert and welcome to LTG: do you know whether yours is a factory second or not? Buy it retail or on-line? Good luck with yours; you never know, it might be just fine! J

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Hi cuthbert and welcome to LTG: do you know whether yours is a factory second or not? Buy it retail or on-line? Good luck with yours; you never know, it might be just fine! J

+1 Cuthbert. Reports on the non-blemish products have been good. This problem appears isolated to the blemish contemporary series from Tacoma that were released after Fender moved production to New Hartford. No telling how long these guitars sat there before Fender released them...

cuthbert

Reaction score
capnjuan said:

Cap,Scratch, thank you for the welcome, later I'll properly introduce myself.

I bought the guitar online, it's one of these printed "used", but no visible blem, at least aestethically. The strange thing is that the print seems to be done BEFORE the nitro finish, so I assume they were the last guitars that left the factory when they discontinued the model.

I am pretty nervous, by the way I'm a foreigner therefore there isn't much I can do with Fender, I just hope that if there is the problem it can be solved with a reset of the neck... :x :x :x

BTW I didn't understand EXACTLY what's the deal...high action on the upper register?

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Fender responded to my inquiry today, perhaps there's light. They want me to take it to an authorized Guild facility & send it to Nashville. I have to say I like the sound of this,

Here's the text of their message:

"Hello Jeffrey,

Thanks for writing in. Our repair facility in Nashville, TN would be able to do that kind of work to your guitar. First, we would want to get you in touch with an authorized service center in your area. A full list can be found here: http://www.fender.com/support. Once the guitar is at the service center, have the techs contact our tech support department, and we will make arrangements for the guitar to come back to us. Once the guitar is received and evaluated, we will provide your service center with a price quote and time frame. No work will be done without your approval. Please remember that all shipping and handling charges are the responsibility of the consumer. I hope this will help you out.

Best Regards,

Fender Musical Instruments Corporation

Consumer Relations Department........"

[quote="Scratch

+1 Cuthbert. Reports on the non-blemish products have been good. This problem appears isolated to the blemish contemporary series from Tacoma that were released after Fender moved production to New Hartford. No telling how long these guitars sat there before Fender released them...[/quote]

Mine was purchased after market on ebay early on, & not identified as a 2nd, I suspect it was. . Quite an attractive price, Bing K, at Guitars of Montana commented the price was at or below his wholesale cost.

I got what I paid for, had I purchased the little CV model Bing had in stock I'd be a much happier camper. Heartbreaking pretty sunburst it was, Had the money in my pocket when I looked at it & held out for the smaller body CO.

Cuthbert, Welcome to LTG.

My problem is high action, neck angle is way out of tolerance, Brady put a straight edge on the fretboard & showed me the problem. It's progressed enough now it's significant even in the cowboy chord positions. No fun to play.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
cuthbert said:
capnjuan said:
... I bought the guitar online, it's one of these printed "used", but no visible blem ... the print seems to be done BEFORE the nitro finish ... I assume they were the last guitars that left the factory ... I am pretty nervous, by the way I'm a foreigner therefore there isn't much I can do with Fender, I just hope that if there is the problem it can be solved with a reset of the neck... BTW I didn't understand EXACTLY what's the deal...high action on the upper register?
Hi cuthbert; I can understand your being worried but you'll have to see what the deal is when it arrives. All we have so far is that a couple members have had bad experiences with similar models but that doesn't necessarily mean that every one of them is no good.

Any lack of leverage you might have has more to do with the fact that the guitar was originally sold without a warranty than it does with you not being a citizen. WTH: there are citizens here who can't get FMIC's attention either.

Finally, you'll have to re-read the thread but yes, I think the problem is two things; crappy action up the neck and the fact that qualified luthiers are not familiar with the proprietary / patent-pending neck joint ... they don't know how to safely separate the neck from the guitar.

I see Jeff has posted in some good news ... maybe there's hope yet; good luck! John

zplay

Reaction score
Jeff said:
Fender responded to my inquiry today, perhaps there's light. They want me to take it to an authorized Guild facility & send it to Nashville. I have to say I like the sound of this,

Here's the text of their message:

"Hello Jeffrey,

Thanks for writing in. Our repair facility in Nashville, TN would be able to do that kind of work to your guitar. First, we would want to get you in touch with an authorized service center in your area. A full list can be found here: http://www.fender.com/support. Once the guitar is at the service center, have the techs contact our tech support department, and we will make arrangements for the guitar to come back to us. Once the guitar is received and evaluated, we will provide your service center with a price quote and time frame. No work will be done without your approval. Please remember that all shipping and handling charges are the responsibility of the consumer. I hope this will help you out.

Best Regards,

Fender Musical Instruments Corporation

Consumer Relations Department........"

[quote="Scratch

+1 Cuthbert. Reports on the non-blemish products have been good. This problem appears isolated to the blemish contemporary series from Tacoma that were released after Fender moved production to New Hartford. No telling how long these guitars sat there before Fender released them...

Mine was purchased after market on ebay early on, & not identified as a 2nd, I suspect it was. . Quite an attractive price, Bing K, at Guitars of Montana commented the price was at or below his wholesale cost.

I got what I paid for, had I purchased the little CV model Bing had in stock I'd be a much happier camper. Heartbreaking pretty sunburst it was, Had the money in my pocket when I looked at it & held out for the smaller body CO.

Cuthbert, Welcome to LTG.

My problem is high action, neck angle is way out of tolerance, Brady put a straight edge on the fretboard & showed me the problem. It's progressed enough now it's significant even in the cowboy chord positions. No fun to play.[/quote]

Well, Jeff, I'm happy you got a response. Not to rain on yours or anyone's parade and I sure hope I'm wrong, but I'm skeptical as to whether a nice clean fix will come out of this for your guitar any time soon. I went through the process suggested in the message a couple of years ago with a beautiful CV-1C. Had a very sympathetic Sam Ash service manager check the guitar and call Fender for me. Of course, he had never seen one of these necks before and wasn't going to begin to take it on, but verified that the neck angle was improper. He further lobbied Fender to replace the instrument, considering that the wait period at Nashville would have been about 6 months. Fender sent me back a brand new shiney CV-1C with a good neck, which I subsequently traded for an F-47R at my local Guild shop(already having a CV-2C).
Meanwhile, my wonderful CV-2C which is definitely NOT a blem, has an unstable neck now too. Because I was cued into the issue when I shopped for it, I know for sure that the neck was straight and the action modifiable when I bought it(i.e plenty of saddle height for action adjustment purposes). Now, about 1 1/2 years later, the fretboard extention over the upper bout is starting to lift, such that
there's very visible separation seen from the side. My guitar's still very playable at this point, but I know now that the clock is ticking. I'm only hoping that SOMEONE in Nashville has actually fixed one of these and that it has stayed fixed! My worry is that
it won't really be fixable because of inadequate upper bout support or because of the way the fretboard is attached to the upper bout or some such thing. Yeah, I'm a bit of a worrier. :(

Anyway, we need some answers and I'm happy the questions are being asked. Meanwhile, I'm still enjoying playing mine.

Paul

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
[Fender sent me back a brand new shiney CV-1C with a good neck, which I subsequently traded for an F-47R at my local Guild shop(already having a CV-2C).]

Fender offers me a similar deal, I'm gonna ask for a new F30.

zplay

Reaction score
Jeff said:
[Fender sent me back a brand new shiney CV-1C with a good neck, which I subsequently traded for an F-47R at my local Guild shop(already having a CV-2C).]

Fender offers me a similar deal, I'm gonna ask for a new F30.

Amen

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I've thought about this one quite a bit as I've noticed so many of these "used" stamps on the headstocks of these things lately.....CV2 just listed tonight.

If the graphite neck block thing was such a good idea, why didn't they build them all that way? D55, JF's....all of them? And why do they not build them now in Connecticut? To me, the only possible answer is that the design must have been a huge blunder and the reason we so so many of these seconds. No offense to any CV owners intended.....just an observation.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GUILD-CV-2C-USA-ac- ... 7C294%3A50

West

cuthbert

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
I've thought about this one quite a bit as I've noticed so many of these "used" stamps on the headstocks of these things lately.....CV2 just listed tonight.

If the graphite neck block thing was such a good idea, why didn't they build them all that way? D55, JF's....all of them? And why do they not build them now in Connecticut? To me, the only possible answer is that the design must have been a huge blunder and the reason we so so many of these seconds. No offense to any CV owners intended.....just an observation.

West

Yes my guitar is exactly the same, even the serial number is pretty close...for what we can see from the pictures, the action seems normal, and the neck angle is flat as it should be...

Besides that, I seriously dubt that the angle can be negative, so I don't understand why lowring the bridge saddle cannot fix the problem...

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
[quote="cuthbert
Besides that, I seriously doubt that the angle can be negative, so I don't understand why lowring the bridge saddle cannot fix the problem...[/quote]

Hello Cuthbert, good to have you here.

Lowering the saddle did help quite a bit when I had it done a couple years ago, Fender referred me to Dan at American music, he shaved the saddle & cut custom slots in the bridge to maintain proper angle. Guitar played pretty good for a while. I posted a thread back a ways. There isn't enough saddle remaing for more adjustment.
Condition has since deterioriated, I had decided against posting the story here till Scratch posted his problem.

My guy Brady knows his stuff, smart enough to beg off, sure is gonna be embarrassing if Scratch's guy fixes his no problem. Also like to keep this upbeat till I hear from Nashville.

sq_011029.jpg
sq_011304.jpg

cuthbert

Reaction score
Jeff said:
Hello Cuthbert, good to have you here.

Lowering the saddle did help quite a bit when I had it done a couple years ago, Fender referred me to Dan at American music, he shaved the saddle & cut custom slots in the bridge to maintain proper angle. Guitar played pretty good for a while. I'm sure I posted a thread back a ways.

Condition has since deterioriated, I decided against posting the story here till Scratch posted his problem.

My guy Brady knows his stuff, smart enough to beg off. Also like to keep things upbeat till I see what Fender says.

sq_011029.jpg
sq_011304.jpg

Mmm...deteriorated? Do you mean that the neck started to ROTATE around its heel?

About ebay, I found another guitar printed "used", in this case a F-512, the seller says that
the guitar had flaws but it was repaired at Tacoma...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Guild-F-512-acousti ... 7C294%3A50

Were these guitars who had issues printed as "used" as well?Or can I hope that they solved the problem in the factory when they printed as seconds?

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I don't know what's moving, all I know is the strings are too high above the fretboard, it's no fun to play,

Sat in the closet for a year till Scratch chimed in. Thank the Good Lord for Hoboken & Westerly Guilds.

cuthbert

Reaction score
It's interesting to notice that the "new" CV2s on ebay are all natural, they look perfectly unblemished (with that finish it's difficult to cover up an imperfection) and their serial number are almost conseguential:

This one in particular, looks fabulous...

If anybody does have a list of Tacoma serial number it should be possible to see if these are the last guitars that left the plant before the closure.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cuthbert,

Those serial numbers are not factory serial numbers. The factory label numbers are scratched out, or perhaps just covered, by this other label from the reclamation center.

Sorry, I have no idea what those numbers mean.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
And another:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GUILD-CV-1-CONTEMPO ... 7C294%3A50

And another:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GUILD-CV-2-FLAMED-M ... 7C294%3A50

At least this guy says he'll take 'em back if you don't like'm.

Heck, here's a whole page of 'em.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... w=Guild+CV

And you know Jeff, I couldn't agree more, "Thank the Lord for Westerly and Hoboken Guilds", but in all fairness, I'm not sure the problem was with Tacoma, I think it's the dreaded "Patented Neck Block System". I think there were some great guitars with the conventional neck block built there I'm sure.

West

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
And another:

And another:

And you know Jeff, I couldn't agree more, "Thank the Lord for Westerly and Hoboken Guilds", but in all fairness, I'm not sure the problem was with Tacoma, I think it's the dreaded "Patented Neck Block System". I think there were some great guitars with the conventional neck block built there I'm sure.

West

Yeh... What Westy said...

cuthbert

Reaction score
Scratch said:
West R Lee said:
And another:

And another:

West

Yes, the patent pending neck block system in composite seems to be a serious issue, but I've also seen some "USED" guitars of the traditional line as well...

Anyway, leaving abroad I know the risks of purchasing guitars online, even if you can send them back, the taxes and shipping costs are paid. So far, I was lucky, but all my ebay instruments were electric guitars...anyway at this point I just have to wait and see.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
cuthbert said:
Scratch said:
West R Lee said:
And another:

And another:

West

Yes, the patent pending neck block system in composite seems to be a serious issue, but I've also seen some "USED" guitars of the traditional line as well...

Anyway, leaving abroad I know the risks of purchasing guitars online, even if you can send them back, the taxes and shipping costs are paid. So far, I was lucky, but all my ebay instruments were electric guitars...anyway at this point I just have to wait and see.

Yes we have seen those "Used" Guilds with the traditional neck blocks, but more times than not, the "blemish" with those guitars has been a small cosmetic issue, not a structural one.

And Cutbert, echoing the post of someone earlier in the thread, there have been guys that live in Europe......and New Zealand for that matter, that have had Guilds shipped to an LTG member here in the States, then had them ship it to them across the water. Obviously, you still assume some risk, but at least you know that it will be inspected and properly packed here in the States, then shipped the safest and most economical way......USPS. I might send you one myself Cut, won't send you an Ovation though :wink: .

West

zplay

Reaction score
cuthbert said:
These news are pretty scary indeed.

I just bought a CV-2C, and I'm waiting for the delivery...alI can say is that if this thread was in the public area, I wouldn't have bought that guitar... :x

Cuthbert,
After all of this bad stuff - to which i have been a contributor - I want to say that it is quite possible that you'll be lucky and your guitar will have a decently set neck that doesn't end up moving enough to compromise the action for atleast a good long while.
I got to play my CV-2C a bit today and have to say that I still don't regret buying it, even though there may be pain ahead. For me, it is my favorite Guild because of its particular combo of attributes and it's a damn fine design probably in part because of the graphite system .... even if its release was premature.
- Just my $0.02.