My Blem CV-1 Arrived - Trainwreck Neck

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Arrived Monday. This is one of the prettiest guitars I own.. A real looker... That's the good news...

Now the bad: The bolt on neck is a washboard. I tried working with the truss rods; but I knew it was useless. This one had to go to Ross the Magic Luthier for major surgery. I dropped it off with him this evening; he'll remove the neck; shave the heel and reset it. Then a full fretboard shave, refret, replace compensated saddle (this is a new guitar) and nut and recondition the fretboard. Price 380 to 420. I'll get it back in a few weeks.

I paid 900.00 for it after seeing several other CV-1 blems go for between 1200.00 and 1400.00. I'll be around 1300.00 when I get it back and with Ross doing the work, it will be done right.

These Tacoma-built blems are no doubt guitars that did not pass QC and my guess is they were in some back storage room then released without warranty to eBay retailers once they moved operations to New Hartford. Unless the retailer offers return, stay away...

I'll close with good news: Stopped by New Braunfels Music last night and the owner, also the Southwest US Fender Field Representative, received a new D55 from the New Hartford plant. What a beautiful guitar. Not a hint of glue; perfectly balanced and when Eric tested it, everyone in the store stopped; turned and listened. Absolutely gorgeous and worthy of the D55 mantra. Eric said he'll let me have it for 2250.00. If I had the dough; I'd have bought it on the spot...

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My goodness... You're a trooper putting up with that, Scratchy. Hope you enjoy it when she's all pieced together.

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I named it Duke. Duke always bounced back...

First thing Ross said when I opened the case was; "Man, that is one beautiful guitar!!" I asked him to inspect the neck last. He complemented everything; choice of woods, grain patterns, madagascar rosewood contrast to the Indian RW and Ice Tea Burst. Then he look down the neck and said (in so many words...) DANG!! He has no idea why Guild went from dovetail to a bolt on neck. He does them all and for big time artists... In his opinion, Guild's dove tail joints and necks are among the very best in the business. He said he's been impressed with every Guild I've Brought in for setup and inspection, but this bolt on was not up to those standards. At 900.00, I took a chance that it was a whopper of a deal. Wrong... Once he's done, it will be perfect... Slow, methodical perfectionist, precise, overworked and a bit expensive, but done right every time... My guess is I may have it back by the 4th of July... :?

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Scratch said:
I named it Duke. Duke always bounced back...

At 900.00, I took a chance that it was a whopper of a deal. Wrong... Once he's done, it will be perfect... ....... :?

Same price I paid for my CO1 Ken, same result, should have mine back in a couple more weeks.

Same as you, I'm looking forward to having it right .

TonyT

Reaction score
Oh, and a guy at my class tonight offered me $600 on the spot for The Fonz (GF-25) tonight. Not a chance, pal. :D

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Chazmo said:
Jeff, was yours "USED" as well?

Well that depends, technically it was a new guitar, not marked used or 2nd & in unplayed condition. .

The seller was not a Guild authorized dealer & there was no factory warranty. Not at all sure how the seller came up with the guitar in the first place.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jeff said:
Chazmo said:
Jeff, was yours "USED" as well?

Well that depends, technically it was a new guitar, not marked used or 2nd & in unplayed condition. .

The seller was not a Guild authorized dealer & there was no factory warranty. Not at all sure how the seller came up with the guitar in the first place.

That is interesting! So, clearly it didn't go through MIRC (which is where most of the sellers get their factory seconds, I think)... I too wonder how the seller got it.

What I'm curious about is whether that guitar made it through Tacoma's QA, or whether it actually is a factory second that didn't get marked as such by a reclamation center.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
No offense meant to the two of you Jeff and Ken, but it sounds as if the bolt on neck wasn't a very good idea?

West

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
West R Lee said:
No offense meant to the two of you Jeff and Ken, but it sounds as if the bolt on neck wasn't a very good idea?

West

I don't think it is the bolt on neck that is the problem...seems to be the necks themselves. Lots of high end guitar builders use bolt on necks with no problems. Maybe Guilds version of the bolt on neck was lacking.

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:

West

Agreed, West. Just my opinion, but I look at the contemporary series as a big experiment. Guild has alway (to my knowledge) been devoted to dovetail necks. I think they may have tried the contemporary series as a Taylor-like bolt-on neck experiment. I'm sure the Tacoma-location folks made many good ones; several folks here rave about theirs, but at least as far as these blems go, the neck (only) on this guitar resembles apprentice-like workmanship.

I love the feel of that F47 neck for fingerstyle playing... I bought this because I bid and failed to get an F47R (Corona) for 900.00. I lost by $10.00...

Why did I consider a CV?: After losing out on the F47RW, I studied the CV-1 series and combined the RW beauty (absolutely striking) with the hard-to-find Guild 1 3/4 nut and decided to take a chance. If it comes back from Ross as I'm sure it will, I'll be OK with it. It will cost another $400.00; however, to get what I hoped for. Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you... When I consider that I bought this because I lost out on the F47RW by $10.00 I look at myself in the mirror and see bear bait... 8) :wink: :lol:

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
FNG said:
West R Lee said:

West

I don't think it is the bolt on neck that is the problem...seems to be the necks themselves. Lots of high end guitar builders use bolt on necks with no problems. Maybe Guilds version of the bolt on neck was lacking.

I called Brady about my CO1 a few minutes ago, I want to get some pics while he has it apart, probably next week.

He tends to agree with Effin, suspects the problem is with the neck itself. Brady says he's seen similar problems with certain series of Martin guitars, some of which took two factory neck sets before they settled in. What a nightmare??

Repair on mine is anticipated to be less than half what Scratch is lookng at. Fretboard, so far anyway, looks straight.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
zplay said:
Scratch, Jeff: any updates on your CV/CO neck issues?

No word yet, causing me some nagging worry the last couple days.

zplay

Reaction score
Yeah, I'll bet. But, hopefully just a backlog situation for your guy.
Anyway, I'm all ears on this one, as I love my CV-2C and hoping big time to hear an encouraging word regarding repairability on these Contemporaries.

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nothing here at this time, Z. Ross is slow, but sure; he was pretty backed up when I dropped it off. Best guess is by the end of June.

Jeff; do you know why yours is held up?