Gigging Tips: Plugged and Unplugged

James Knox

Reaction score
I would suggest putting a tiny bit of guitar into the amp, and just a bit more vocals - just to fill out the sound. You could still keep the volume low, but the sound full.

Wish I could come by for a vegi-burro and some good live tunes!

Peace,

James

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
James Knox said:
I would suggest putting a tiny bit of guitar into the amp, and just a bit more vocals - just to fill out the sound. You could still keep the volume low, but the sound full.

Wish I could come by for a vegi-burro and some good live tunes!

Peace,

James

Another good tip; I'll employ it. C'mon down, James and be prepared to pick one or two! Where 'bouts are you from?

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
When I first started singing in public I was used to belting it out without any amps in a noisy pub. I'm so unused to amps that when I did the open mic set at the Village Pump venue in Trowbridge, I started walking off without unplugging - kinda like forgetting to remove the gas nozzle at the filling station before driving off :oops: Hope I'm more savvy next week when I go back there :mrgreen:

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Scratch said:
How many are you playing next week, Jer?

If it's the same as last month, you only get a set of 3 - so just as you are starting to warm up you have to finish :roll: Years ago when I was part of a folk group called Dick Derby, we were the resident group every Sunday evening in the Beehive, a pub in Bath - so I was playing and singing all night :D

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Last night went well; wound up playing plugged in. A huge thunderstorm hit the lake area (been a while since we've had one of those) late yesterday afternoon and dropped the temps from the 90s to about 78 degrees with a nice breeze. I wound up playing in the garden room as usual with a nice breeze coming through the screen windows and a beautiful sunset over Canyon Lake. Had a pretty fair Memorial Day Weekend crowd; lots of singalongs with a couple Neil Young & CSNY tunes... A couple guys came up to inspect the guitars during break; one was a picker... He drooled all over 'Zeke' and left asking where he can find a Guild 12 string...

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
JerryR said:
Scratch said:
How many are you playing next week, Jer?

If it's the same as last month, you only get a set of 3 - so just as you are starting to warm up you have to finish :roll: Years ago when I was part of a folk group called Dick Derby, we were the resident group every Sunday evening in the Beehive, a pub in Bath - so I was playing and singing all night :D

And my Friday night went OK at the 'Village Pump' - but only a set of 3 as expected, not like your gig Kenny were you are the star :D

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Scratch said:
No star Jer... When they wander in, I close the door and lock 'em in... :roll:

Hey - they don't wander in - they come specially cos it's Scratch night :!: What better than some good TexMex food washed down with red wine or tequila and listening to you playing and singing Ken :D I just wish I could be in the vicinity sometime when you are playing :)

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Arlington is just 145 days away, Jer. Please believe me when I say I have no ways near the talent of most of those folks. But no one has more fun trying. :) Looking forward to buying you a brewski and hearing you pick a few for sure... :mrgreen: