Kustomized J66

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I considered disassembling the thing and giving it a good cleaning, but after seeing so many episodes of Antiques Roadshow over the years, I'm kind of afraid to remove the dirt.

You know the drill: "Gee, if you hadn't cleaned off the patina that candlestick would've been worth a gazillion dollars. Since you polished it, it'll go for $1.29" Don't think this actually applies to old guitar amps, but...

It just looks like dirt, as the tolex seems to be solid. Actually, the covering isn't like the Fender tolex coverings. Probably still a plastic coating on a fabric base, but a much less pebbly grain.

And thanks, Bill. The power light does have it's lens. I see that the linked page says "jewel" which I assume refers to the faceted lamps. The one on my 66-J, and the one pictured, are not faceted.

66J-4.jpg

Dave

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
dapmdave said:
I considered disassembling the thing and giving it a good cleaning ... You know the drill: "Gee, if you hadn't cleaned off the patina that candlestick would've been worth a gazillion dollars. Since you polished it, it'll go for $1.29" Don't think this actually applies to old guitar amps, but... It just looks like dirt, as the tolex seems to be solid.
Hi Dave; no ... that's just dirt, it isn't patina. :wink: This is link to ggjaguar's Ampeteria. See any dirty amps there? Link to a well-known Gibson site (navigated with the blue text/underscored links) ... tell me if you spot any dirty amps there. Road-worn is one thing, dirty is another ... John

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Dave, yes that looks like the right one, couldn't see it well enough before. Only amp that I ever saw with those frosted green lamps were Guilds, though later they used those red plastic neon ones if I remember correctly.

Com'on Dave, a little washing up liquid won't hurt it, though I don't think I would try Armor-all or chemicals of that ilk...wax (without silicon) in it shouldn't be a problem either...

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
dapmdave said:
I considered disassembling the thing and giving it a good cleaning ... You know the drill: "Gee, if you hadn't cleaned off the patina that candlestick would've been worth a gazillion dollars. Since you polished it, it'll go for $1.29" Don't think this actually applies to old guitar amps, but... It just looks like dirt, as the tolex seems to be solid.
Hi Dave; no ... that's just dirt, it isn't patina. :wink: This is link to ggjaguar's Ampeteria. See any dirty amps there? Link to a well-known Gibson site (navigated with the blue text/underscored links) ... tell me if you spot any dirty amps there. Road-worn is one thing, dirty is another ... John

You are right, no dirty amps. Hmmm.

I like to use Murphy's oil soap on guitars (learned about it here on LTG). Do you think that would be OK on the amp? Seems pretty benign, but it works.

Dave

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
dapmdave said:
.. I like to use Murphy's oil soap on guitars (learned about it here on LTG). Do you think that would be OK on the amp? Seems pretty benign, but it works.
Yes; think it would be fine along with soft bristle brush and dampened rag. If it were mine, I'd see if I could clean it first without dis-assembly ... I guess I'm just lazy. I think I see some spots of corrosion on the faceplate. If you take a chopstick and cut the tip to a chisel point, you can hold the stick at 45 deg angle and, with some pressure, you can scrape the corrosion off without scratching the metal. Careful with metal cleaners and polishes; some like NeverDull have abrasives and others will loosen the silk-screening.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
dapmdave said:
.. I like to use Murphy's oil soap on guitars (learned about it here on LTG). Do you think that would be OK on the amp? Seems pretty benign, but it works.
Yes; think it would be fine along with soft bristle brush and dampened rag. If it were mine, I'd see if I could clean it first without dis-assembly ... I guess I'm just lazy. I think I see some spots of corrosion on the faceplate. If you take a chopstick and cut the tip to a chisel point, you can hold the stick at 45 deg angle and, with some pressure, you can scrape the corrosion off without scratching the metal. Careful with metal cleaners and polishes; some like NeverDull have abrasives and others will loosen the silk-screening.

Yeah, that lazy thing. That's the biggest reason that the amp is still dirty. I was going to take it apart to expose the entire faceplate, as most of crud seems to be around the edges and I assume it extends under the cabinet edges. I don't want to risk damaging the tolex around the faceplate, but if I'm going to remove dirt and corrosion I want to get it all.

And thanks for the chopstick tip. I would have never come up with that!

I think I'll work on this today.

Dave