Reaction score
Texon, yes. Samsonite, also YES! :lol:

sams.jpg

Dave

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Dave; utility and rugged good looks weren't the only reason that handle was chosen. The escutcheon / chrome cross piece between the legs is hollow and removable. Show below; version 1 Guild T-12, T1 RVT - now Coastie's but used to be mine - and a version 2 T1 RVT. Notice the metal bracket in the circle. Apparently the thickness of the chassis steel wasn't considered in relation to the distance it would span. As built and given the span, the chassis is too thin to support its own weight.

The version 1 T1s and T1 RVTs have a bracket that fastens to the back lip of the chassis, bridges up and under the top (and handle) and is connected to the back of the control panel by pressure from the bass control faceplate nut via pinching action. As the bracket passes under the handle, a bolt passes through the bottom plate of the handle assembly into a threaded hole in the bracket. The bolt and plate are then concealed by the escutcheon.

Slide1-2.jpg

Slide2-3.jpg

In the version 2 T1 RVT, the chassis now supported with chassis straps from the top, secondary wood supports inside, and has a vertical, weight-supporting back panel to pevent deflection, and conventional flat strap handle ... no need for the bracket and that dookie suitcase handle.

Slide3-2.jpg

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Good info, John.

And nice Cars reference, too.

Dave

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
dapmdave said:
... And nice Cars reference, too.
Well ... I couldn't think of a YouTube tune with 'dookie handle' as a lyric. :wink: The 98RT has a Fender/Gibson U-shaped chassis. I mean I don't know why that amp would have needed the little support feature ... leaving cosmetics? Link to the current 98RT LTG thread with pics of matsickma's very spiffy 98RT with D handle and another BBer's 98RT. Not conclusive but the older model's handle looks original but there's no reason to think they didn't change little things from time to time. Your amp; coming along? J

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
dapmdave said:
... And nice Cars reference, too.
Well ... I couldn't think of a YouTube tune with 'dookie handle' as a lyric. :wink: The 98RT has a Fender/Gibson U-shaped chassis. I mean I don't know why that amp would have needed the little support feature ... leaving costmetics? Link to the current 98RT LTG thread with pics of matsickma's very spiffy 98RT with D handle and another BBer's 98RT. Not conclusive but the older model's handle looks original but there's no reason to think they didn't change little things from time to time. Your amp; coming along? J

Thanks for asking, John. The amp is still in the shop. I'm anxious to get it back, but all good things take time.

I read the linked discussion about the 98RT, especially the part about the Sprague Orange Drops. At the recommendation of my friend (recording engineer/musician) these are going into the 66J. Supposed to improve the sound. We'll see, I guess. I suppose that I can raise hell if I don't like it (the advantage of taking it to a shop vs. leaning on a buddy for the work). But I don't know that I'll be able to discern a difference.

Dave

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
dapmdave said:
capnjuan said:
Your amp; coming along? J
... still in the shop ... I read the linked discussion about the 98RT, especially the part about the Sprague Orange Drops. At the recommendation of my friend (recording engineer/musician) these are going into the 66J. Supposed to improve the sound.
Nothing wrong with Orange Drops; readily available and made to tight tolerances. As JP says; "it's all about the cheese". You will like the tone or not but either way, it isn't going to be decided by the brand of new coupling caps. J

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Sort of browsing around, I found that Matsickma (hopefully not an sp?) has some excellent images on the different covering and handle styles, in the thread about a 98RT restoration.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
dapmdave said:
capnjuan said:
Your amp; coming along? J
... still in the shop ... I read the linked discussion about the 98RT, especially the part about the Sprague Orange Drops. At the recommendation of my friend (recording engineer/musician) these are going into the 66J. Supposed to improve the sound.
Nothing wrong with Orange Drops; readily available and made to tight tolerances. As JP says; "it's all about the cheese". You will like the tone or not but either way, it isn't going to be decided by the brand of new coupling caps. J

Got the amp back the other day. It sounds good (still). Very little was needed. No caps replaced, just thorough checkout and installation of grounded plug.

Dave

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Dave; worked out well. If you get a chance, take some more glamor (glamour for our Brits and Canuckis) pics including a well-lit shot of the electronics. Congrats! J

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Bill Ashton said:
...and the FEET, please sir...

Need pictures of the feet!

With shoes on or off? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll see what I can do.

Dave

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
My old girls rubber or plastic feet are all worn off and I would like to see what was originally there; its probably simple to just put some Fender glides on, but that just wouldn't be right!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Bill; depending on what Dave's has: Antique Electronic Supply Click Amp Logos, Covers & Feet / Basic Rubber Feet. Might have something close. J

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Bill Ashton said:
My old girls rubber or plastic feet are all worn off and I would like to see what was originally there; its probably simple to just put some Fender glides on, but that just wouldn't be right!

Bill,

Mine look like this:

ampfeet.jpg

Not much to look at. Clearly a lot of thought went into this design choice.

Guys, I put some larger, detailed pics of the guts of the amp on photobucket. I didn't want to hit LTG with large images. Tried to make a really large panorama, but was not 100% successful. :shock:

Go here: http://s588.photobucket.com/albums/ss32 ... %20photos/

Dave

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
dapmdave said:
... Clearly a lot of thought went into this design choice.
Sweet! It was about achieving excellence :wink: Thanks for the pics. J

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
dapmdave said:
... Clearly a lot of thought went into this design choice.
Sweet! It was about achieving excellence :wink: Thanks for the pics. J

Here's a glamor shot, I guess:

bird-n-amp4.jpg

I think I captured the true color, this time.

More on photobucket...

Dave

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Dave; on the top of the amp cab ... the 'tan' stuff ... is that surface scuz or oxidized tolex? If it's scuz, a cloth dampened in warm soapy water will get some of and, if there's more, Windex or GlassPlus ... something with a little alcohol. If the surface of the material has oxidized away, so be it but otherwise, if you can get the surface clean, paste furniture wax will put a nice glow on it. Mighty sweet-looking rig. :) John

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Or, I might suggest...and certainly not to be contrary to the might Cap'n...some diluted dish washing detergent and a wicker-type vegetable brush will get into all the little nooks and crannies. With the chassis removed, of course! I have an old Vox AC-4 with the basketweave covering, and that was what I used (upon suggestion) to remove all the crud built up over the years.

Acutally, that particular suggestion caused quite a controversy over on either the Voxshowroom or Voxtalks, can't remember which. I was told initially to use some
Fairey liquid and brush to remove the grit...Fairey Liquid being at the time a dish
washing ("washing up") detergent common in England. Great storm of protest as
some (or someone) took extreme exception to a gender slur, etc., etc. HUH? Its
stinkin' dish washing soap, you prat! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Dave, if I remember correctly, you do not have the correct pilot lamp lense on your 66-J.

The gent on eBay has put some more up, this frosted glass lens is the correct one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-GLASS-Amp-J ... 286.c0.m14

It has been quite some time since he posted any, maybe though he had saturated the market.
I had bought several and now of course they are lost on my workbench somewhere, but this is the same thing that came on my '63 (?) 66-J, and from all the images I have seen most of the others also...