Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: fretless M-85

fretless M-85

So, I quietly won the auction for the red fretless M-85 a couple of weeks ago. Actually, does it count as winning if you're the only bidder? :?: The good thing is, I got it for the opening bid price! Here's a pic from the auction:

It just arrived today. So far, I like it! Haven't plugged it in yet though - I think I'll do that next. I have a couple of questions - it's my first M-85 (complements my Starfire I Bass nicely), but I will post those questions later.
    Last edited by hieronymous; 05-31-2018 at 06:43 AM. Reason: original pic no longer available

Re: fretless M-85

congrats, nice one.
    can't wait for the soundfiles :)
    my 2 ct, all the best,
    michael.

* '84 Pilot SB-602
    * '86 T-250
    * '87 Nightingale
    * '98 Starfire IV
    * '10 F-30R Std.
    * '13 GSR T-400
    * '14 M-85
    * '17 M-20
    ...some more stuff and
    myself. ;)

*official WUZZATONE (made by Coastie99) endorser*

New Jersey, USA...close to the old Hoboken factory

Nice >>>>>>>>>

As a solid body M-85 owner I can say it is my favorite gigging bass.
    I did install Darkstar PUPS though, which made it the tone monster that it is today.
    Good luck.......... 8)
    " I'am not great, I'am just some guy from Jersey " paraphrase from " Eddie and the Cruisers "

WoW!!!! That is a beauty! Congrats!
    "If you are over forty and wear a paper hat to work,you have obviously made a poor career chioce."

How much does it weigh??

The only M85 I ever had was a boat anchor.............
    Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post

And I like Harry's approach.
    '66 Starfire I SB bass, '67 Mark IV pear wood, '75 Mark 4 P padauk,
    '66 Thunderbird amp, '68 Thunder 1 RVT amp,

Thanks everybody! I was just playing it - fun little bass! It's not too heavy - I don't have a scale so I don't know exactly. I need to clean her up and put some new strings on.

One thing I noticed is that the tuning posts are much bigger on this bass (left) than on my '67 Starfire (right):

I was also wondering about the truss rod cover - I took it off because I thought it was upside down - the skinnier part was towards the body. But the tuning post bushing (?) is so big that even with it turned the other way it doesn't fit all the way down. I was also surprised to see how differently shaped they are. It's interesting noticing all the subtle differences, like the thickness of the lettering, the coloring, etc.
    Last edited by hieronymous; 06-07-2018 at 05:27 PM. Reason: reposted pics

Your M-85 should also have a metal truss rod cover. That's why the tapered plastic one wouldn't fit. Even on my B-301, it's a close call on the TRC fit.
    with love and affection,
    Dane

1970 S-100
    1973 S-90
    1975 S-100C
    1977 S-100
    1977 B-301
    1996 D-4HR
    http://www.facebook.com/theedithmassey

Quote Originally Posted by danerectal
    Your M-85 should also have a metal truss rod cover. That's why the tapered plastic one wouldn't fit. Even on my B-301, it's a close call on the TRC fit.
    Thanks - so looks like I have to keep an eye out for a vintage one or maybe I should get one custom made, like out of wood or something...

New Jersey, USA...close to the old Hoboken factory

Quote Originally Posted by hieronymous
    Thanks - so looks like I have to keep an eye out for a vintage one ...
    Real Good Luck in ever finding one ....
    " I'am not great, I'am just some guy from Jersey " paraphrase from " Eddie and the Cruisers "

Quote Originally Posted by billbass1
    Quote Originally Posted by hieronymous
    Thanks - so looks like I have to keep an eye out for a vintage one ...
    Real Good Luck in ever finding one ....
    I was afraid someone might say that! That's why I think the custom route is the way to go. Thinking of putting Dark Stars in it anyway, plus the original pickup selector switch is missing (this is one of the ones with the red die in its place), so it's not like it's a mint collector piece. Maybe even an Alembic-style bridge and tailpiece? :twisted: