fretless M-85

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
It's a little puzzling, but not unexpected since it's a new product offering.

Happy Face

Reaction score
Well, it's always something. It's not a simple drop in. There must be a big difference between the routing on Hieronymous' M-85 and this JS-II. But it can be overcome with some woodworking.

Last edited:

Happy Face

Reaction score
I had a reissue bridge hanging around so I gave it a try.

Happy Face

Reaction score
I no longer have much home studio recording capacity so it'll be a while. I'd like to A-B it against my Dark Starred JS-II.

Happy Face

Reaction score
Yes. For the moment. But I pick it up tomorrow.

Happy Face

Reaction score
The black bass is noticeably heavier than my red one. So perhaps it colors my first impressions. But the Guilembric does sound more heavy and gutsy.

I only altered the tone using the pickup sweep and turning the Q switch on and off. Plenty of variation but I'll fiddle with the tone switch as well next time. Just three knobs and the Q switch so fewer controls than on the pre-amp on the red fella.

It sounds like an Alembic!

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
So volume/pan/filter + Q-switch? How many positions is the Q-switch?

I tend to just have the Q-switch set to +0 - the filter will still make a difference but not as brash as with the Q boosted. But it's worth it to experiment!

(My fretless AleM-85 has mono Anniversary electronics, so separate volume/filter & Q-switch for each pickup, and pickup selector. Normally Anniversary electronics also can be switched between stereo & mono - I have that setup on my 5-string Stanley Clarke bass)

Is this once going to get the roundwounds?

Happy Face

Reaction score
Hieronomo- Thanks again for your help with getting it rolling.

Mine is the volume/pan/filter + w2 position Q. Pretty simple, especially compared with the rig on the red JS-II.

Jazz Rounds on both, for the moment anyway.

The new one is way different than the red one. More akin to my Rickenbacker in many ways.

The two Guilds will be a great gigging pair.

Happy Face

Reaction score
Played it at some volume at a practice today. Through an Orange �� Terror 500 and two 1x15" cabs. It has a really nice open sound. Different than through my regular home rig.

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a gig coming up in a couple of weeks so I need to figure out which bass(es) I am going to take. The AleM-85 is definitely in the running, so it's out on a stand, with my new Bass Forest Guardian on duty - Kismet! She is going to be 20 in October!

48157235557_05cfb44c45_o.jpg

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice picture. Thank you. If this were Facebook this post would be reduced to a simple Like (or maybe Love since Kismet looks so contented).

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks! She is really an amazing cat, in great shape given her age - she plays every day! Kind of like the bass, come to think of it...

F312

Reaction score
Looks like one of my cats at four years old now. A big litter under the shed, I took in two.

Ralph

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
Just put up a recording where I played the AleM-85 - it starts pretty mellow and spacey but builds to a screaming climax lol - my guitar player is amazing! I had it going through my GK combo, but on the recording it's the direct signal, re-amped through my Alembic F-2B preamp, with some added Z Vex Mastotron fuzz near the end. I should have practiced on it more, I was pretty rusty when we played but I was so happy to have my drummer up from LA - this session was the first time we played together in two years!

https://soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven/stanley-lighthead-spree-upon-vale