Jerry! We're All Waiting ... (12th Night)

cjd-player

Reaction score
Anyone throw tomatoes? :mrgreen:

Did you get your garters crossed o.k? :wink:

Anybody look up your night shirt? :oops:

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
cjd-player said:
Anyone throw tomatoes? :mrgreen:

I've never been to one of those before. Was I supposed to take them out of their cans or jars? :shock:

Canned_Tomato_Paste.jpg

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
cjd-player said:
Graham said:
[quote="cjd-player":2q0h1p54]Anyone throw tomatoes? :mrgreen:

I've never been to one of those before. Was I supposed to take them out of their cans or jars? :shock:

Canned_Tomato_Paste.jpg
I think it depends on how much you disliked the performance. :shock:[/quote:2q0h1p54]

Could have done with 'depends' last night :oops:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Eeek! :shock: You covered though with quick-thinking and English aplomb, right?

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well - the first night.

Disasters I was personally involved in:
Bear in mind I have two roles - as a 'musician' in conjunction with Rod (who also plays 'Fabian' and is a really good guitarist) and as Malvolio - one of the biggest parts.

'Musician' (I'm playing the Epiphone as it is quiter than the Guild - Rod is using something that looks genuinely Elizabethan and makes it sound wonderful whereas I can barely play it). Come on just before Orsino ("If music be the food of love, play on...) and play a few bars or Greensleves together - that bit went reasonably well though we did get out of synch at one point.

Act 2 scene 4 - I have to rush round the building, having gotten rid of a nightshirt and nightcap from act 2 scene 3 (more on that later) and get into the musician costume and meet up with Rod to do another scene with Orsino & Viola. Initially we play Spancil Hill (OK not Elizabethan but pretty enough) with me doing the main tune and Rod doing clever twiddly bits - went OK. Then I have to play some music (which I wrote) on my own for Steve (playing Feste) who sings 'Come away, come away death'. Steve has a different sense of timing every night and it is my duty to try and keep pace with hime, and generally failing to do so absmally :cry:

Now the acting bit. There is a large grand piano hidden behind a curtain. The actual layout of the stage entrances and exits is not as we rehearsed, which we did not discover until the dress rehearsal. At the end of one of my bits with Olivia in Act 1 scene 5 I attempted to exit through the curtian concealing the grand piano. there was no way round it and I had to back out onto the stage and find another exit :roll:

Act 2 scene 3 I have to remonstrate with Sir Toby Belch, Andrew Aguecheek and Feste who are having a drunken singalong late at night. I come down steps through the auditorium dressed in nightshirt, nightcap and carrying a lantern with lit candle, do my bit and exit delivering lines back up the stairs - at which stage I tripped over the hem of my nightie, and fell forward dropping and smashing the lantern :oops:

On a more positive note, my big 'letter scene' (Act 2 scene 5) went well, and I got a special round of applause as I exited (or maybe the audience were just pleased to see the back of me) :D

Otherwise, several actors 'dried' and had to have prompts, and the priest was somewhat late turing up in the last act :(

However, feedback (some of it overheard in a restaurant the next day by a member of the cast) was that the audience enjoyed it :D

I watched the girls perform last night - Taming or the Shrew - a very slick performance compared to ours :roll:

Auditorium seats 104. Guess we had 60 on the first night, 76 already sold for tonight and a sell out for Saturday :wink:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Jerry ... wow ... at least you weren't hurt and the audience didn't throw rotten veggies at you .............................. right? I once had a role in a little theater production of My Fair Lady. I was a street busker and had a short solo: "Starlight is going home to bed now ... " and so on. Anyway, I stepped forward into a small spotlight and did my solo word perfect ... except ... for some reason, I sang it in the wrong key ... on key mind you ... but the wrong key. I feel your pain :oops: Congratulations if you are accepting them. :lol: John

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Hi Jerry ... wow ... at least you weren't hurt and the audience didn't throw rotten veggies at you .............................. right? I once had a role in a little theater production of My Fair Lady. I was a street busker and had a short solo: "Twilight is going home to bed now ... " and so on. Anyway, I stepped forward into a small spotlight and did my solo word perfect ... except ... for some reason, I sang it in the wrong key ... on key mind you ... but the wrong key. I feel your pain :oops: Congratulations if you are accepting them. :lol: John

Hey Capn' john your'e up bright and early :shock:

Tonight is a whole new opportunity to mage a total A$$ of myself :wink: But Thanks :D

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
JerryR said:
Hey Capn' john your'e up bright and early ..
and you might consider getting some rest. As Ben (Geezer) Franklin once put it: "Early to rise, early to bed ... " Besides ... I've been waiting for the JR Theater Review ... :wink:

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
JerryR said:
Hey Capn' john your'e up bright and early ..
and you might consider getting some rest. As Ben (Geezer) Franklin once put it: "Early to rise, early to bed ... " Besides ... I've been waiting for the JR Theater Review ... :wink:

For me it's still only 11.16am and I'm not going to work on the days I'm acting. Walk the dogs and go through my lines. Practise the guitar tunes I have to do tonight - oh and the gardening chores set by my wife :wink: Must be the wee small hours for you though John :?:

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Hi Jerry ... wow ... at least you weren't hurt and the audience didn't throw rotten veggies at you .............................. right? I once had a role in a little theater production of My Fair Lady. I was a street busker and had a short solo: "Twilight is going home to bed now ... " and so on. Anyway, I stepped forward into a small spotlight and did my solo word perfect ... except ... for some reason, I sang it in the wrong key ... on key mind you ... but the wrong key. I feel your pain :oops: Congratulations if you are accepting them. :lol: John

Think I once confessed previously in the Dick Derby days we had a booking at Brightlingsea Folk Club in Essex. The guy who ran the club was Billy Connely's cousin John - and with true Scots hospitality gave me at least 3 tumblers or whisky. I was drunk as a skunk by performance time, and as evidenced by the tape of the performance I heard the next morning, I sang off key the whole way through - except for the last song (Finnegan's Wake) which hadn't been rehearsed and was a special request :oops:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
It's about 7:30am eastern time here ... I guess I thought Euro time was further than 4-5 hours ahead ... I have job stuff and hobby stuff today including some electronics work owed to and owned by this guy ... the Governor General of the South Island ...

coastie03.jpg

Good luck tonight!

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
It's about 7:30am eastern time here ... I guess I thought Euro time was further than 4-5 hours ahead ... I have job stuff and hobby stuff today including some electronics work owed to and owned by this guy ... the Governor General of the South Island ...

coastie03.jpg

Good luck tonight!

Almost looks human in that photo, don't he :mrgreen: Have you gone onto daylight saving time already - I know the US does before the UK - we don't move the clocks on an hour until the last Sunday in March - that shortens the gap by 1 hour for a week or so.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
JerryR said:
Have you gone onto daylight saving time already - I know the US does before the UK - we don't move the clocks on an hour until the last Sunday in March - that shortens the gap by 1 hour for a week or so.
Yes; we've piddled the clocks ... Congress ... never too busy to take time out to do something useless ... There are several early BB-birds but bumping into John Kidder at 6:00am Eastern can throw you off ... I guess he gets up late ... :D

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Graham said:
That was one of my most challenging Photoshops.
I can understand how it would be; he de-synchronizes the space/time continuum ...