Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: What bass/amp setup do you guys use?

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Face View Post
    Adorshiki (our adorable one?) reminded us: "Consider the old saw that classical musicians are great sight-readers but lousy improvisers, and supposedly the converse for jazz players."

That brings to mind a funny recollection. My older sister fled the east coast and arrived in SF in time for The Summer of Love and stayed there. In the early 70s she was back for a visit east and she told me that she was dating a guy in a well-known jazz group and told me about the jazz scene in Oakland, Emeryville and SF.
    Having been pre-occupied with San Francisco Sound acid rock as a youth, I didn't realize what a hotbed for jazz was here in my own backyard until I was well into my 20's but Emeryville is the home to world-renowned Yoshi's and in '71 Berkeley became home to Fantasy Records (and Studios until '81) whose early catalog was predominantly dedicated to Dave Brubeck.
    Then there's the venerable Berkeley Jazz Festival.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Face View Post
    Her younger brother was a serious French horn player who was still aiming for a career playing in the Met Opera orchestra. And a pretty good rock bass player.

His reply, which I made up on the fly: "Well, you know, jazz musicians are guys who are not good enough to play classical and not creative enough to play rock."

I got whacked on the head.
    Last edited by adorshki; 06-19-2019 at 05:09 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

My plan is to pick up a vintage M-85 at some point to play through the Thunderbass w/cab I plan to pick up this weekend, but in the meantime I mostly play a ‘78 Musicman through a mid-70s Ampeg B25b with an Ampeg 4x10 cab. Sometimes I run a ‘64 Bassman head through a 2X12 cab in series with the B25, or I just go with my ‘08 Fender American Standard Precision Bass 5 through mid ‘70s Bassman 100 with a matching 2X15 cab. Sweet tone all the way around, but I’m ready to explore the Guild bass sound.
    Last edited by Vermonter; 06-19-2019 at 01:33 PM.
    1955 Masteramp
    1958 M-65 Freshman
    1967 Thunderbass
    1967 Thunder 1 RVT
    1968 Thunderbass
    1970 S-100

ah, I forgot to update:

my 2016 Custom LeFay Rob 344-66/IIIa through a few pedals including the GP Lighstone Twiset Tubepreamp into my Epifani UL 502 into 2 1x12" custom Cabs by SAD Audio Design.
    my 2 ct, all the best,
    michael.

* '84 Pilot SB-602
    * '86 T-250
    * '87 Nightingale
    * '98 Starfire IV
    * '10 F-30R Std.
    * '13 GSR T-400
    * '14 M-85
    * '17 M-20
    ...some more stuff and
    myself. ;)

*official WUZZATONE (made by Coastie99) endorser*

Hello Vermonter, I expect you'll love both the Guild rig and the Guild bass! I used to have a mid-70's PA100 that I used as a gigging bass amp during college. Actually made a killer bass rig on the old 1x18 EV cab! Would love to play through one of those Bassman100's to see how they compare. I've heard a lot of folks say they're very similar

Krysh, how do you like the Epifani? I've heard great things about them but never from somebody who has played a vintage Guild through one. Also, what's the exotic looking instrument out front?

Quote Originally Posted by mellowgerman View Post

Krysh, how do you like the Epifani? I've heard great things about them but never from somebody who has played a vintage Guild through one. Also, what's the exotic looking instrument out front?
    Hi ingo, it has pros and cons, but i also havent used a vintage instrument with it. the epi is very clean and dynamic and delivers everything precisely from high sparkle to ultra low end with more than enough power. Some people say it is a bit sterile. But i like it a lot with my tube pedal in front. A great compromise for people with a bad back like me, who cant schlepp a huge tube head anymore. Would i buy it again? Yes, if i could find one for the same low price that i paid for mine.

The other instrument is the kora, an african harp, of my bandmate from senegal in my jam band.

Quote Originally Posted by krysh View Post
    Hi ingo, it has pros and cons, but i also havent used a vintage instrument with it. the epi is very clean and dynamic and delivers everything precisely from high sparkle to ultra low end with more than enough power. Some people say it is a bit sterile. But i like it a lot with my tube pedal in front. A great compromise for people with a bad back like me, who cant schlepp a huge tube head anymore. Would i buy it again? Yes, if i could find one for the same low price that i paid for mine.

The other instrument is the kora, an african harp, of my bandmate from senegal in my jam band.
    Cool, thanks. Any videos or recordings of your jam band? Would love to give it a listen!

Quote Originally Posted by mellowgerman View Post
    Cool, thanks. Any videos or recordings of your jam band? Would love to give it a listen!
    sure, here you go, from groove to meleody and lyrics, all completely improvised and recordes with an iphone se:

my 2 ct, all the best,
    michael.

* '84 Pilot SB-602
    * '86 T-250
    * '87 Nightingale
    * '98 Starfire IV
    * '10 F-30R Std.
    * '13 GSR T-400
    * '14 M-85
    * '17 M-20
    ...some more stuff and
    myself. ;)