What bass/amp setup do you guys use?

mikbass

Reaction score
Nice collection. I'm curious about the bass on the right. New or vintage? Japanese? Thanks for sharing.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Nice collection. I'm curious about the bass on the right. New or vintage? Japanese? Thanks for sharing.

Sorry for the tardy response here, the one on the right in my photo is a Polish bass branded "Defil" but from what I understand the company name was Orlik. Not much info out there on them, but they seem to have been made 35-45 years ago. Mine came from LTG member HappyFace (who I believe got it from Reverb some years ago). He was nice enough to pass it along to me after a discussion was had about the girth of bass necks and I mentioned that I love a chunky upright-ish kind of neck, which this one definitely has. It was refretted and the pickups were rewound at some point, so it's certainly not stock and I can't speak to what it may have played and sounded like originally. In any case, it is now a wonderfully fun instrument. After putting some old heavy flatwounds on it, it sounds a whole lot like an upright bass with the neck pickup solo'd. In terms of aesthetics, it's certainly reminiscent of an M85 as well.

cy7MkBe.jpg

Last edited:

Mark WW

Reaction score
Only at home. I use a Starfire Beatle Bass. I run that through a 15" Jensen cab hooked to a HoTone Thunder Bass (Based off Ampeg). And yes I am happy with this rig. I also have a 15 watt Acoustic (12" speaker) Bass Amp.

Not mine but similar
starfire.jpg

Again not mine but same as
Hotone-Thunder-Bass-Amplifier-Head-5-Watts-Sound-inspired-by-Legendary-SVT-3-Band-EQ-High.jpg

Mark WW

Reaction score
Only at home. I use a Starfire Beatle Bass. I run that through a 15" Jensen cab hooked to a HoTone Thunder Bass (Based off Ampeg). And yes I am happy with this rig. I also have a 15 watt Acoustic (12" speaker) Bass Amp.

Not mine but similar
starfire.jpg

Again not mine but same as
Hotone-Thunder-Bass-Amplifier-Head-5-Watts-Sound-inspired-by-Legendary-SVT-3-Band-EQ-High.jpg

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I guess with it being 10 years later, I should post and update.

I got tired of lugging the cabinets around so I have switched to a GK M115 combo with a neodymium magnet 15" speaker so it only weighs 38 pounds!

https://www.gallien-krueger.com/mb-115-specs

20181215_221833_zpszgxahao3.jpg

To the left of the drums, under the PA head (with Christmas lights), sitting on a milk crate.

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
Spitzenklasse! Too bad we can't hear the bass a little better... maybe next time the lady and I make it to Germany we'll try to coordinate catching one of your shows :)

ups, I thought I had already answered.
ty ingo. shoot a message whenever you intend to come to germany, and I'll let you know.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
a little bit of Sunday thunder with my Ampeg SB12 and Bonham AGC 213R (very similar to the Versatone Panoflex and made by the same folks)
EQNwcOR.jpg

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Wicked there. What speaker config is in the Bonham?

ukulelelab

Reaction score
basses:
1963 Hagstrom Coronado
1964 Fender Precision
1965 Guild Jetstar
1966 Fender Precision
1966 Fender Precision (slab clone)
1967 Fender Coronado II
1974 Fender Precision
1997 Guild Starfire 2

amps:
mid 60's wem er30 head with super 30 bass 1x15 cab,
1968 sound city 100 mk2,
1971 hiwatt dr103 with 1972 se122 cab (ex family),
recent production hiwatt dr201 with se410 + se115 cabs

Last edited:

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
Right now, a thrown-together and overly complicated set up which involves splitting my signal between a Carvin combo running 1X10 & 4X8s and a TC Electronics combo running 1X15, each side's EQ tweaked with its own pre-amp. Kinda have my eye on a Mesa Subway D800 or D800+ and 2X10 cab(s) to take its place, but don't have the discretionary scratch to cover it at the moment.

Happy Face

Reaction score
I just sold my 1968 Hiwatt 100 watt bass head. Such a beautiful "translucent" sound.

Still leaves me over-amped. An old man with his treasures.

For recording:

I have a Versatone purchased from a fellow LTB member. It's left at the studio where I am lucky enough to be brought in for some cool projects. I leave it as a bribe (to get priority time etc) since the studio engineer uses it a lot for others as well. But that's also a little gift to the Portland music scene.

With the departure of the Hiwatt, I'm left with a 1967 Dual Showman which I run through a sealed Sunn 4x12" cab loaded with 75 watt Celestions. Not too bad. The sound of my youth.

Gigging:

(More and more rare, but I had two band reunion shows (45 & 50 years!) planned for this summer but it looks like the virus may scrap those plans.)

I leave my "old" gigging rig at the practice studio I pay for and rarely see any return from. It's a beast with a 200 watt Orange AD-200 which was gutted and hand wired with all sorts of upgrades. (As featured in Premier Guitar Magazine.) With two Orange 1x15" cabs. A really fat, gooey sound live. And heavy to carry. (with an old Orange Bass Terror 500 as backup head)

More recently I've been using two sets of 1x12" cabs (one custom built, one Orange) which are way lighter at under 30 pounds each. Modular magic! On top is a Genz Benz Streamer 900 (with another one as backup). The Streamliners are also fat and gooey.

I also just sold a Fender Rumble 100 combo I used for some jams and then at a practice room where the band was so loud that amp didn't cut it. It was not a bad (and super lite) amp, but sounded best with my Guilembric and Ricky.

Actually a pretty flexible set of amps for a gigging bass player in 1970. Now, aren't we all supposed to be DI-only candy-*** wimps?

Vermonter

Reaction score
Depending on the gig and size of venue, a mid ‘70s Fender Bassman Ten, a mid-70s Bassman 100 through a matching 2X15 cab with JBL D140s, a ‘64 Bassman through an Ampeg 410 cab, a mid-70s Ampeg B25b through the same 410 cab, or any combination of two of these. My home studio rig is a ‘68 Guild Thunderbass with a matching cab. It’s the best sounding rig I have and it never leaves my studio. No way would I take that out to a gig. I use a Fender ‘08 American Standard Precision 5, a ‘78 Musicman Stingray, or a ‘98 Martin B1. Fun times. I just realized I need an ‘88 bass for symmetry.

Happy Face

Reaction score
It sounds like many of us have gone modular. It's easier to carry two 1x12" or 1x15" cabs than 2x cabs. Plus you get redundancy + if one cab blows it, you still have a rig.

And all that flexibility to take a half rig with you.