'58 Slim Jim

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

First post here - I'll try to keep it short and there is a picture for now.

I traded in my sax for a guitar in the late 70's and went through a Vantage, Guild SBE (don't recall the model but would recognize a pic), and a rickenbacker and then finally found home in a '66 Gibson 330. A similar path lead to a '64 J-45 on the acoustic side. Those were both stolen in the late '80s. I managed to grab a '52 LC-1 at the time, but the 330 always outpaced my pecunity and I ended up piling up various modern junk that really sucked and upgraded pickups etc. until recently getting the T100.

Ok, for something you are probably much more interested in, here is the story. Purchased from a classified ad in OR with a cashiers check for $950. You are not suppsed to do that BTW, it says so right on the ad. Was originally purchased for the 1st owners son, he played CDG for 8 years then left it under her bed. 25 years later, the advertizer bought it and didn't pick it up (he played organ in the church blah blah, sounded like BS at first). He had it strung with .08s for another 15 years under his bed.

The pickup looks too white - anyone?? It sounds unpotted but I don't want to be hopefully the first to take it out. I definately prefer the other tail piece but this appears stock.
DSC01118.jpg

No setup or fretwork will be needed, it has one issue with the binding shrinking away from the cutout and that is it. Frets are as new, all I have done here is clean them with an eraser and wiped it all with a dry microfiber cloth.
DSC01124.jpg

It has the painted logo, but my playing isn't exactly Bling anyways. The nut looks like bone with slanted cuts.
DSC01122.jpg

cjd-player

Reaction score
Welcome mycologist.

That's a sweet lookig guitar. :D

Lots of folks here are into the jazz boxes, but I'm not one of them. :oops:

Nice of you to put pics in your first post. :D

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome mycologist. A very clean T-100DP! You're right. The early ones had those knobs and tailpieces--Waverly if I'm not mistaken.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone,

Honestly I think this is the most versatile guitar I have around now. Among a replaced Matsumoku neck through Vantage with split coils, a strat copy with Fralins and woman tone, volume mod and pull bridge pickups, and an epiphone alleycat with burstbuckers and my brothers 72 LP black beauty.

I really appreciate the information on the PU and bridge & glad you folks love it like me. Interesting how the knobs yellowed like other pickups I've seen.

dean

Reaction score
Hey mycologist -

Welcome to the asylum - there are more happily deranged Guild lovers here than you can shake a pick at! The T-100 is a wonderful guitar - perhaps my favorite of all time. Yous looks like it it is in exceptional condition, and the brief history you describe for it seems to account for most of the aging that has occurred to the guitar. I don't think I've seen a Guild from that era that doesn't have the binding issue somewhere on the guitar. The three that I've owned (2 T-100s and a CE-100) have all had the binding pulled away - generally at the waist. That can apparently be fixed with a little heat, some clamps, and the right glue. When I fix mine, I'll post on that repair. The tailpiece is (as mentioned earlier) a Waverly - they were used on the early, lower-priced models. The pickguard looks great (they are pretty rare commodities), and the label looks perfect. As far as the color of the pickup cover, if the guitar spent most of its life in the case, the pickup probably wasn't exposed to the elements - hence, it didn't "age". The other aging signs - the binding and finish cracks on the headstock - look appropriate for a vintage guitar that has seen some fluctuations in humidity and temperature. As I said earlier - everything looks like it is in excellent shape!

What I like about the T-100 is the weight and balance and the incredible tone! I like it much more than one with two pickups (T-100DP), and I think it makes me concentrate on my playing to get the different tones I want. After I sold my first T-100, I immediately came down with a bad case of "seller's remorse". I finally got another one, but it is a project that I'm slowly working on - it, too, is a 1958, but it has a different headstock than yours.

Thanks for sharing the pictures and the history of your new guitar - it's a beauty!

Dean

teleharmonium

Reaction score
I've seen other Guilds and the occasional Vega that had similarly very white pickup covers on the Fransch pickups, so I can easily believe it is original. Also there aren't any modern covers quite like them. My '60 has covers that are only slightly more yellowed.

Beautiful guitar, and I agree with you about the versatility. The T100 gets a lot of love around here; you've found your gang. (We're all Crips, by the way.) That combination of pickguard, knobs, tailpiece, and logo, looks great to me, it's classy yet workmanlike, and a short lived combination, so someone like myself that already has a couple of T100s can still manage a little bit of benign jealousy.

john_kidder

Reaction score
mycologist said:
\Interesting how the knobs yellowed like other pickups I've seen.

The knobs were originally "ivory", not the straight white of the pickup cover. But it is interesting how their colour seems so to have shifted to the yellow just through age, while the colour of the p'up cover has stayed the same - presumably that particular plastic/pigment would need UV exposure to make the same sort of transition?