Li'l Dawg hand-wired tweed

BluesDan

Reaction score
cjd-player said:
I use a Weber Mass 100 attenuator and love it. It lets me "dime" the master volume on my 50-Watt amp and still play at a reasonable stage volume for our church band.

Here is more info on attenuators .. scroll down some to the attenuators section.

http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-weber.htm

Do attenuators change the tone? Yes to some degree because you are not pushing the speaker as hard, and are not physically moving as much air with the speaker. So it sounds different than with the amp blasting at ear-damaging levels. But the tone is so, so, so much better than turning down the master volume. You get power tube breakup at a reasonable volume. Sounds good to me. :D :D :D YMMV

cjd.......No problems with short life span of tubes? As mentioned in the link, I have heard some horror stories about using attenuators and short tube life. I was considering one at one time for my Blues Jr. but was talked out of it. How long have you been using yours troublefree?
Thanks,
Dan

powdog

Reaction score
Hey all.

Jim lives in Lincoln, just north of Sacto. I had the pleasure of going to his house a few years ago to check out his operation, and it's just what you'd expect. A retired military electronics guy, he runs his whole outfit from his garage. He makes his own tag boards and cabinets, and maintains a high level of consistancy. When I met him, he was making three Fender tweed amps, a Champ, Princeton and a 5E3 Deluxe. Not quite sure what he's making now, but he is somewhat of a celebrity in the local blue's guitar circles.