'60 Guild Capri and '59 GA-40 - live clip

valcotone

Reaction score
hey folks,

Here's a clip from a recent blues jam... it's a totally spontaneous unrehearsed jam featuring keyboards, sax, harmonica, congas, bass, drums, and me playing my 1960 Guild Capri (Franz pickups) through a Fender reverb unit straight into a 1959 Gibson Ga-40 amp.

Hope you dig it a little bit! I'm usually a blues player, but this was a gas.

http://www.kilback.net/tunes/cow-valley-jam_2009-01-22_jam_guildCapri_GA40.mp3

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi VT; can't ever tell who's read what around here but there's a lot of yack about the Gibson GA40LP Here. I got the clip to download but not play, will try again later. CJ

valcotone

Reaction score
Hmm, sorry guys... it plays ok for me with both Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. I think in both cases you need plugin's to auto-play MP3 files. A blank window may open, but eventually it should play after it buffers the file. If you download and install QuickTime that should do it. Alternately, you can right-click to save the file, then play it how you usually play MP3s.

In any case, I don't know if it's worth the trouble to hear our little jam. :lol:

CJ, yes I've been reading your GA-40, GA-20 and other amp threads with a keen interest. Thanks!

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
valcotone said:
........In any case, I don't know if it's worth the trouble to hear our little jam. :lol:

....!

Nope, twas well worth the trouble. Sounds like a gas indeed. 8)

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
valcotone said:
Hope you dig it a little bit! I'm usually a blues player, but this was a gas.
Might fine VT; your GA40? Someone else's? Got pics? CJ

valcotone

Reaction score
hi CJ, As requested... here are a few pics of my '59 GA-40 (with 50's Rola P12Q-style speaker), and '60 Guild Capri.

ga40_009.jpg

ga40_010.jpg

ga40_012.jpg

ga40_011.jpg

valcotone

Reaction score
krysh, I just used my Zoom H2 recorder set up on a shelf at the back of the room, facing the stage area.

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
valcotone said:
krysh, I just used my Zoom H2 recorder set up on a shelf at the back of the room, facing the stage area.

I know the h2's, they are really good.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Interesting; one of those rare amps that actually sounds as good as it looks - it's practically mint! CJ

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
john, it's a LesPaul as vt mentioned. :)

and the amp really sound awesome....the guitarplaying, too :D

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
krysh said:
john, it's a LesPaul as vt mentioned. :) and the amp really sound awesome....the guitarplaying, too :D
Hi Michael; I know ... I was asking about which guitar he was playing in the second clip ... when I grow up, maybe I can play that well! J

valcotone

Reaction score
ha, thanks CJ.

It's an Orville by Gibson Les Paul, made in Japan. The pickups are Wolfetone Marshallheads.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Like the Grecos and Burnys ... very good guitars ... they give nothing away and thought to be much better than the low end of new stuff anyway.

valcotone

Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Like the Grecos and Burnys ... very good guitars ... they give nothing away and thought to be much better than the low end of new stuff anyway.

Agreed. The Orville By Gibson models in particular are really nice... great woods, lightweight, nitro finish. Killer guitar.

But, back to Guilds, and my Capri... I tried to remove most of the decals that were on there and you can see some indication of that. This guitar sounds just great, especially the bridge pickup. The neck pickup is a little dark sounding so I might investigate to see if there is anything I can do there (I'm wondering if there is a cap in series with the switch like on my X175.... though the effect on that guitar was almost like a tone control turned fully off).

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Can't help VT; so much variety and frequent lack of correlation between wiring diagrams and what's in the guitar anyway. You know there are $1 tone caps and $12 tone caps. There's something reassuring in feeling like you've done all you can in one area of your tone spectrum - that you've got one corner of your tent pegged down and there's nothing more to be done. To some degree, I think this is why people put that kind of money into pricey tone caps then swear by them. But if you try a Sozo or one those $10 Russian oil jobbies and you don't get what you want ......... I have these caps I'll let go for $18 ... :wink: Good luck and don't forget the pics. CJ