$#**%@!! squirrels!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've been fighting this ongoing battle with squirrels on my deck and in the tree above the deck. We feed the birds and we get several species of woodpeckers such as this big guy:

DSCN1071.jpg

But, the squirrels keep finding a way to get this hanging suet feeder. I've tried numerous configurations, but they keep getting to it, knocking it down, etc.

Earlier, I kept them away with a bb gun, pinging them in the butt with bb's so they'd learn to stay away from the feeder. Then my 14 yr. old son decided to help me and nailed one right between the eyes, down he came, dead. :( Mrs. Dread was not happy, she put the kibash on that program.

Out of exasperation, I decided "if you can't lick 'em join 'em", sage advice I reasoned. Went to the feed store and bought a 50# sack of shucked corn, nailed a feed box to the deck, and filled it up for the squirrels. (Told Mrs. Dread as soon as they start eating it steady, I'll mix in some rat poison and... :lol: She fails to appreciate my sense of humor sometimes)

Now they're nice and fat with corn, and now they use the bird feeder for dessert, I think :roll:

Yesterday I used an old guitar string to suspend it about 2 feet down from the limb, figuring they'd never be able to climb down that. Well, they couldn't, but it only took about 30 seconds to figure that out, so he simply grabbed the string with his little paws and reeled it in. :twisted:

Here's my latest invention, I slid a 2-liter soda bottle over the guitar string. I think I might have outsmarted the little buggers at last. Stay tuned:

DSCN1137.jpg

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I see ya making a fortune making and selling those 'Squirrel be Gone' contraptions, Dred... :)

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
:lol: yeah, material cost is only 10 cents in Michigan.

As to the anti-squirrel program, so far, so good... :wink:

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWU0bfo-bSY

I had a bird feeder that was mounted on a post. I used to lube up the post with some Crisco. They would get about 2 foot up, and slid down. Again and again. Until they wore off the Crisco. :lol:

They won't quit.

zplay

Reaction score
dreadnut said:
I've been fighting this ongoing battle with squirrels on my deck and in the tree above the deck. We feed the birds and we get several species of woodpeckers such as this big guy:

DSCN1071.jpg

But, the squirrels keep finding a way to get this hanging suet feeder. I've tried numerous configurations, but they keep getting to it, knocking it down, etc.

Earlier, I kept them away with a bb gun, pinging them in the butt with bb's so they'd learn to stay away from the feeder. Then my 14 yr. old son decided to help me and nailed one right between the eyes, down he came, dead. :( Mrs. Dread was not happy, she put the kibash on that program.

Out of exasperation, I decided "if you can't lick 'em join 'em", sage advice I reasoned. Went to the feed store and bought a 50# sack of shucked corn, nailed a feed box to the deck, and filled it up for the squirrels. (Told Mrs. Dread as soon as they start eating it steady, I'll mix in some rat poison and... :lol: She fails to appreciate my sense of humor sometimes)

Now they're nice and fat with corn, and now they use the bird feeder for dessert, I think :roll:

Yesterday I used an old guitar string to suspend it about 2 feet down from the limb, figuring they'd never be able to climb down that. Well, they couldn't, but it only took about 30 seconds to figure that out, so he simply grabbed the string with his little paws and reeled it in. :twisted:

Here's my latest invention, I slid a 2-liter soda bottle over the guitar string. I think I might have outsmarted the little buggers at last. Stay tuned:

DSCN1137.jpg

Way to go, Dread; you're an inspiration! I've been doing battle with a pack of grey squirrels over the bird feeder. So far, the use of alternate food source - some kind of compressed seed block - is helping, but they still jump on the feeder - about a 4-5 ft. leap - from the tree trunk. WD-40 sprayed on the metal top of the feeder hasn't deterred them. I mentioned my thoughts of glueing glass shards to the top to my wife, but she wouldn't have it(in truth, more of a malicious threat on my part). I thought about a bb gun or sling shot, as well. Still workin' on it.

markus

Reaction score
Guild Total
dreadnut said:
… Here's my latest invention, I slid a 2-liter soda bottle over the guitar string. …
Do you use PB or 80/20, medium or lights? :D
Markus

cjd-player

Reaction score
dreadnut said:
Yesterday I used an old guitar string to suspend it about 2 feet down from the limb
So what's you favorite brand of guitar string to deter squirels? :?:

Warm or bright?

Coated or uncoated? :mrgreen:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
At least you have the BB/pellet gun option. In this highly urbanized area, discharging a BB gun on less than 20 acres is a misdemeanor.

plaidseason

Reaction score
I actually have a squirrel feeder and I'm having a similar issue with birds who keep stealing the squirrel food. I actually shoot large rocks at the birds with a slingshot, which seems to deter them for the most part.

I'm kidding. I actaully like them both.

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
My wife feeds the birds everyday all year long. There are 5 bird feeders in the front yard alone. She loads up everyone of 'em. There is also a 6' tall hickory stump in the yard as well. My wife also puts bird seed on top of the hickory stump. She hangs the suet cage right on the side of the hickory stump. There are also two corn cob holders nailed to two trees out front.

The squirrels eat from the bird feeders and the corn holders but don't bother the suet cake I suppose because they get enough bird food. Plus, all the birds we have all year long has attracted a chicken hawk (Cooper's Hawk). Between the hawk and my dog the squirrels don't linger around the suet.

Maybe MORE food is the answer. :wink:

kitniyatran

Reaction score
So whatcha'll got agin Squirrels? :cry: :x
Thanks for the bird seed, by the way. :wink:

zplay

Reaction score
fronobulax said:
arundalefeedthebirdstshirt.jpg

(The sign says "Feed the Birds, but even at this resolution I think you get the idea).

That's friggin' hilarious; have to show that picture to my wife! Looks like someone in her family anyway ....
:twisted: .... maybe I should stop right here!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I found that a high "E" steel string did the trick. Just needs to be thin.

I've made one more modification (we're already up to like Rev. "J") I think the birds thought it looked to stupid to eat from, :lol: so I extended the distance between the soda bottle and the suet feeder. I'll post another photo when it's light out, provided it's still hanging there next time I look.

At least we're into the evening and it's still there...made it all afternoon...

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
Get some of those hot chilli pepper flakes and mix them in with the feed. The birds don't seem to mind and the squirrels will leave it alone more.

' Strang

rcadian

Reaction score
I LOVE this thread...

I have Cardinals in my back garden...which has become really annoying these past two weeks...because I'm a Philadelphia Ealgles fan... They honestly seem to just stare at me and cock their heads - and smirk...

Haven't resorted to a sling shot yet though...

Rc

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
rcadian said:
I LOVE this thread...

I have Cardinals in my back garden...which has become really annoying these past two weeks...because I'm a Philadelphia Ealgles fan... They honestly seem to just stare at me and clown their heads - and smirk...

Haven't resorted to a sling shot yet though...

Rc

:lol: :lol: :lol: