ridiculous Fender "Roadworn" clip

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Apologies to anyone here who owns a "relic" guitar - for those who are unfamiliar with the concept, these are pre-beaten up guitars Fender has been selling for a long while now. (ironically, they're more expensive than the shiny, brand new versions of same instruments)

I think the whole idea of them is all kinds of ridiculous, but apparently a lot of people love them - to the extent Fender now has a cheaper non-custom shop "relic" line, made in Mexico, the "Roadworn series", strats, teles, J and P-basses that look like they've been dragged behind a car.

Looking at some NAMM stuff online, I bumped into this clip promoting the new series, and I really think this is the most ridiculous piece of marketing Fender has been involved in - I think even the folks who like the relic guitars blush when they see this clip.
Check it out :
"Roadworn"

I've spent more time in all kinds of vehicles than I care to think about , but my clothes are clean, and I've never thrown a guitar on the floor.... :|

hideglue

Reaction score
Not my thing either, Walter.
Though fellow LTG "Telegeir" has done a remarkable job on his Summers Tele.

Anyway, we had one of these Road Worn Strats come through the shop last week (surprise.....fret job) and most striking is the odd fingerboard wear -- like Flipper the dolphin had played it, and steel wool marks on the finish? a sign of "road worn-ness"? And how does one grade it's condition?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Interesting concept.

I'll admit that there is a certain pleasure in knowing that every mark, scratch or ding on my JS was made by me, which means the concept of faux road wear is an abomination to me, but I also take some pleasure in the marks on the Starfire that were there when I bought it. Of course the real vibe from both basses is when I walk into a place and the basses are older than the guitarists are. When your playing is mediocre on the best of days (like mine) you take whatever credibility you can even if it only comes from being old enough to have new gear turn into vintage :)

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've never gotten the whole relic thing either, but I guess a lot of people do if there going to grind 'em down in Mexico.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
hideglue said:
Anyway, we had one of these Road Worn Strats come through the shop last week (surprise.....fret job)
Someone "reliced" that fingerboard a little too enthousiastically?

I didn't mean to start a whole pro/con relic thing, but I started this thread because of seeing that promo clip - it's so embarrassingly bad I think even people who buy the things wouldn't want to be associated with it, I think.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Walter Broes said:
Apologies to anyone here who owns a "relic" guitar - for those who are unfamiliar with the concept, these are pre-beaten up guitars Fender has been selling for a long while now. (ironically, they're more expensive than the shiny, brand new versions of same instruments)

I think the whole idea of them is all kinds of ridiculous, but apparently a lot of people love them - to the extent Fender now has a cheaper non-custom shop "relic" line, made in Mexico, the "Roadworn series", strats, teles, J and P-basses that look like they've been dragged behind a car.

Looking at some NAMM stuff online, I bumped into this clip promoting the new series, and I really think this is the most ridiculous piece of marketing Fender has been involved in - I think even the folks who like the relic guitars blush when they see this clip.
Check it out :
"Roadworn"

I've spent more time in all kinds of vehicles than I care to think about , but my clothes are clean, and I've never thrown a guitar on the floor.... :|
Absolutely wholeheartedly agree, Walter. It's nothing but a poser thing. It's kinda like the whole "badass biker thing" with yuppies, especially the "market segment" targeted by Harley Davidson. It's mostly a lot of weekend warriors in $1000 worth of "distressed" leather biker gear, who spit and polish a lot, but don't even know how to check their oil. The whole thing screams, "Don't live the dream, buy it!" A sad statement on priorities today.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
jp said:
... The whole thing screams, "Don't live the dream, buy it!" A sad statement on priorities today.
... and all to the apocalyptic strains of Mozart's Requiem. And they didn't bother to suggest that the guitars sound good or play well.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
JerryR said:
Same as the jeans they sell over her for the kids - my sons buy jeans that look like mine when they are ready to throw away - and charge good money for them :!:
Proving once again that we are all in the wrong line of work ... he takes your suggestion that he buy yours poorly, no? :wink:

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
capnjuan said:
JerryR said:
Same as the jeans they sell over her for the kids - my sons buy jeans that look like mine when they are ready to throw away - and charge good money for them :!:
Proving once again that we are all in the wrong line of work ... he takes your suggestion that he buy yours poorly, no? :wink:

Sadly my waist measurement is kinda larger than his (the one that tends to buy the really 'distressed' jeans) - also he is about 6 inches taller than me :mrgreen:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
JerryR said:
capnjuan said:
JerryR said:
Sadly my waist measurement is kinda larger than his (the one that tends to buy the really 'distressed' jeans) - also he is about 6 inches taller than me :mrgreen:
Sorry Jerry; I'm getting a bad visual ... :mrgreen:

BluesDan

Reaction score
I don't quite grasp this whole relic thing either. Seems to me to be just another part of the "impatient generation". If I wanted holes in my Levi jeans, I had to "earn" them through a couple of Sundays of school yard football games, now kids buy em with holes already in 'em. I guess the Fender relics are no different. I have seen a few up close and I dont think the "relic" REALLY looks like legit long term road wear. I think they look ridiculous, with the $12,000.00 Yngwie Malmsteen being the worst of the lot. Just my opinion. No offense intended to anyone who goes that way.

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
I own a few "relics" nice guitars with a lot of road wear but it was put there by me actually playing and not really tring to abuse them....things just kind of happen when you play em out in certian environments. I dont think too many folks really want ot beat up there guitars. I think there is a certian few who think it may actually help there image if they can "fake it" with these guitars.just my HO of course. I will gladly relic anyones choice Strat or Tele for much less than Fender charges! :lol: :twisted:
Anyone want to by my "relic" automobile? You will look Kool driving it if you can get it to pass inspection! :D

mrmanley

Reaction score
I thought the whole "relic" fad was a joke when I first heard about it. I couldn't believe that people would pay more for an artificially beat-up guitar. I mean, WTF? If you want beat-up, there are pawn shops all across America with the most beat-up Strats and Teles you ever saw. At least those axes came by their wear honestly.

I have to say, though, that I find this fad less obnoxious than the late '80's "tribute" electric gits. I've lost track of how many butchered Strats I've seen where the guy tried to "Frankenstein" it to make it look like Eddie Van Halen's guitar, or sandpapered off the finish and put reflector tape on it to make it look like SRV's. It's just...unspeakable.

Maybe it's just me. I weep bitter tears when I put the shallowest of dings into my acoustics.

caveman

Reaction score
Relic guitars seem to arouse lots of people's feelings about what a guitar should or shouldn't be, but in my experience (I work in a guitar strore), the custom shop time machine strats and teles are usually the finest playing and sounding guitars in the line, and the closest you can get to a genuine vintage piece. They are priced accordingly, and it is a bit surreal to pay more for something that was made new, and then beat up to look old. It's not always as convincingly realistic either, but you can get almost every model in a non-relic version as well, so it's totally up to the buyer what version he prefers. I personally don't care at all for the finish checking, dings and dents, but the 'worn in' feel of the reliced necks feel nicer to me than the sticky new nitro finished ones, that have to be played hard a whole lot before they get 'there'. So when I was out to look for a tele, I found the nocaster models had the best feel and sound for me, and I found a second hand 'relic' version for a good price, and I've been very happy with it. Great neck, weight, playability etc. I don't think that will aply to the new Mexican versions, but the custom shop has been putting out some great guitars in the last fifteen years.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Caveman, I agree the Fender Custom shop builds some great guitars, and the "Time Machine" ones I've played were indeed great - but the relicing I don't need. And a little steel wool will take a guitar neck's finish down to "satin" in less than an hour, and I much prefer that to fake wear and pre-corroded hardware. (!)

I do think Fender Custom shop guitars are very expensive for what they are - even more so over here in Europe.

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
+1 on the surreal side of relicing. Real-life wear imparts mojo, a palpable aura to some instruments at least. (Amps too. My GA40 looks like it was out there with Lewis and Clark ...) You can feel it in your hands when you play them.

Relics, by contrast, I don't even want to pick up. Not putting down those who like this, but to me it seems artificial. If I can't have honest wear, give me a pristine and shiny guitar any day.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Walter Broes said:
.... but my clothes are clean, and I've never thrown a guitar on the floor....

Well, I realize that guitars will show wear when they are used but as a repairman I often see stuff that will make most people cringe. Personally, I don't clean my guitar as much as I should and I surely can appreciate the looks of a well worn instrument but I could not scratch up a guitar just because it looks cool. I have a '59 Tele that I bought when it was about 20 years old. All the scratches and marks that are on it were put there by the previous owner(s). One time I left it on stage after the soundcheck and while I was away, a cymbal stand fell over and gouged (see green circle) the front of the body.

TeleBody.jpg

I'm still mad (at myself) about the fact that I didn't put the guitar in it's case and this happened about 15 years ago!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl